Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
P0328 Error and Plug Wires - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

P0328 Error and Plug Wires

WEllison

I removed the plenum to replace the plug wires and have a look at the knock sensor to see if my theory of plug noise coupling into the knock sensor might be valid. This is what I found.

img3068p.jpg

Two plug wires from opposite banks laying right on the knock sensor.

I decided to make a Mu-metal shield to cover the knock sensor and shield the knock sensor wire.

img3164.jpg

Here it is installed over the knock sensor.

img3168w.jpg

img3169.jpg

So now to install the new plug wires I bought from JAE.

I created a wiring diagam to make sure I put it back the same way. The straight boots come out first and go in last on each side. Unplugging the connector from the fuel injector also makes more room to sneak the plugs wire through.

img3177o.jpg

I used carbon conductive grease to coat the mounting bosses for the coil packs and wire brushed the coils packs where they contact the bosses. Water gets under the coil packs and creates a corrosion which makes for weak spark. Carbon conductive grease will stop this.

img3172h.jpg

You can clearly see the corrosion in the picture and the black spots of the carbon grease.

img3174i.jpg

I layed out the plugs for each side after I matched their length to the originals and then labeled them left 1 to 4 and right 1 to 4.

img3176ff.jpg

I coated the plug ends with silicon dielectric grease before inserting the plug wire into the head.

img3181c.jpg

The finished job.

img3184v.jpg

Only testing will tell if I have really identified the source of the P0328 error, but I am very sure this was the problem.

The Older I get the Faster I was

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne,

Thank you for the info. That looks like the problem. Let us know what your "testing" results are!!!

Alan

Edited by USAndretti42
No need to quote the only other post in this topic so far. It's like repeating what the other person in a conversation is saying to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

Lotus has agreed to look into this issue further. See below. If you are still experiencing the P0328 fault code, can you please e-mail me the following info. as soon as possible:

1. Your full name

2. Your VIN number (or at least the last 4 digits)

3. Which version of the ECU are you running? (stock, high torque, red race, etc.)

I will then forward this info. to the Lotus engineers.

Thanks,

Steve

steveslatzer@cox.net

----- Original Message -----

To: Steve Slatzer ; Wayne Ellison (E-mail)

Cc: Simkin, Dave

Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 5:00 AM

Subject: RE: Lotus Esprit V8 - Fault Code P0328

Hi Steve & Wayne,

Just been talking to our lads in the Engine Management / Calibration department and they are looking into the issue.

Hopefully we will be able to come up with a solution.

They will be getting in touch with Dave Simkin to identify the cars that we know are affected and so we know how to issue / control our solution.

If you could identify the cars you know have the problem and let Dave know. Any updates to the cars / calibration would be handled through Dave / Lotus Cars USA .

Cheers

Brian

To: Steve Slatzer (E-mail) ; Wayne Ellison (E-mail)

Cc: Simkin, Dave

Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:50 AM

Subject: Lotus Esprit V8 - Fault Code P0328

Hi Wayne & Steve,

Dave Simkin asked me to look into your Fault Code problem on his recent visit to the factory.

It seems you have had a long ongoing saga on tracking down the cause of the Fault Code.

It is not something we have been familiar with this side of the Atlantic.

Reading up on some of your emails Dave has forwarded to me I see you have already had some communication from Dave Massey in Technical Service.

I will reopen the concern and refer it to our Engine Management Group and see what they can come up with.

We do want to get the bottom of this issue and identify the reason for this intermittent fault.

As soon as we get a chance to digest your emails and review the situation I will let you know what we think.

Wayne - I am aware of your latest posting on LEF about shielding the Knock Sensor & Wiring. I will discuss the merits of this with out Engineers.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Angus

Lotus Engineering

Tel + 44 (0) 1953 608122

bangus@lotuscars.co.uk

• 3 months later...

UPDATE:

I picked up my car today and it appears that the infamous P0328 problem has now been resolved! I still need to drive the car a bit more, but I ran it pretty hard today and the code did not appear. It appears that re-programming the ECM has solved the problem.

To: Steve Slatzer

Cc: Ron Mann

Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 7:50 PM

Steve:

The revised calibration data has been installed on the re-programming units with me and at the headquarters in Atlanta. If you send us the ecm we will re-flash it and send it back to you. Please enclose the VIN and Mileage for your vehicle with the ECM. If you choose to utilize a dealer to do the removal have them contact me for the address and contact info needed.

Dave

David J. Simkin

Field Service Engineer

LOTUS CARS USA, INC.

2236 Northmont Parkway, Duluth, GA 30096

To: Steve Slatzer

Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 7:37 AM

Hi Steve,

Just to keep you up to date.

Our Calibration Engineer has completed the investigation.

He has made some adjustments to the calibration in this area.

The updated data has been sent to Dave Simkin who will be able to update ECMs as required.

Hopefully this will eliminate the problem you have been experiencing.

We will be interested in getting feedback on the situation when you get a chance to do some running.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Angus

Product Engineer

LOTUS ENGINEERING

• 4 weeks later...

I have tested my Esprit for 400 miles with my "knock sensor shield" installed and have not had a P0328 error. I am concluding that it was noise coupling into the knock sensor circuit and Lotus has taken samples over a longer period of time before declaring a failure. Either way should work.

• 1 month later...

Today I did some serious high temperature intercooler testing. The results for the intercooler are very good, however I did manage to set a P0328 error code. So much for my shielded knock sensor fix! The Lotus ECU re-flash is now the only solution.

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I just wanted to pipe in on this thread and be gentle, this is my first post. :-) Last March I had problems getting my monitors to turn off and couldnt get my car through emissions. Dave Simkins ended up helping me out and he reprogrammed my ECU and also added the Hi Torque upgrade which fixed my problem which is apparently an issue on many '03's. My mechanic advised that I should drive the car more which I started doing and then I went out and bought an M5... so my girl has been sitting in the garage jealous quite a bit. I take her out about once a week and last week I really got on her and the engine light came on and upon checking I got the P0328 code. I saw on another forum that someone else had issues many months after they upgraded their ECU and when they got on the throttle hard.

Looks like I may have the same problem? I am due to take my car to Andy in Scottsdale, but I wanted to send an update that I am having the same issue in case anyone has found a resolution AND to advise whether anyone thinks its ok to drive with the light on... I think I have had this before the ECU too...

Steve,

Ill send you my info as requested...

-josh

Hi Josh,

Welcome to the P0328 group. I think you are about number 8 with the High Torque ECU and the P0328 error. Send the ECU to Simkin.

Wayne

Hi,

Ohhh, P0328 is quite common. IMHO, it comes from a quite sensitive programming (in the ECU code) regarding the knock sensor. Of course a reprogram to a less sensitive algorithm is a great idea. If someone out there also has this code P0328 issue from time to time you may try to use a more viscous engine oil when you do your annual nex oil change. Our V8 also had P0328 from time to time with Castrol RS 0-W40. Now we use Castrol RS 5-W60 and no P0328 came up anymore ... maybe I'm totally wrong, but it might be related to the engine oil viscosity ... who knows ? :yes:

Sabine ... out for a drive now :)