Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Remote oil filter kit - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Remote oil filter kit

TurboEsprit1987

Does anyone know of a kit to relocate the oil filter? I had an older VW Scirocco that I'd modified. Basically, it was a screw on adapter where the old filter went, two braided hoses and an adaptor that was bolted elsewhere that accepted the oil filter.

When I use the Crossland filter, there is barely enough room to clear the distributor vacuum module.

Thanks, Nick

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good idea seeing as my filter is completely obstructed without taking apart the motor mount, for some reason

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Guest Troy Halliday

Ok people I am on the case I just need to find out a few things. Where would everyone like the unit to be positioned. I will able to sauce all the parts and supply a full kit including hoses.

I need some hands in the air here as to who might be interested. B)

Ok people I am on the case I just need to find out a few things. Where would everyone like the unit to be positioned. I will able to sauce all the parts and supply a full kit including hoses.

I need some hands in the air here as to who might be interested.  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Troy..I recently bought a very trick OF adaper that has a mounting assy that will clamp directly to one of the lower chassis tubes. What I dont have yet is an adapter block for the original OF housing and hoses. I can get the PN and some pix of the adapter.

I would be interested in a blanking plate/adapter

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..

hmm... I'd consider it if price/shipping were in my range. As for location, I think my car has less space under the hood than most turbos as a result of the air box FI gear etc. As well as that bar right in front of the oil filter that I'm trying to avoid in the first place :lol:

Come to think of it it's very likely that anything that's engineered for the S3 won't wind up fitting my car.

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Guest Troy Halliday

I am sure we can sort out something if not one to suit both cars then one to fit each. I spoke to a friend about it and he is going to have a word with a few motor racing coleagues. One concern is the anti syphon valve so that there is some oil in the system on start up. I could quite easily put a kit together but want to make sure that it will not damage our engines. If individuals wanted the kit minus the pipes I am sure that would not be an issue.

As to shipping if you didn't mind me covering it in a bit of oil so it looks used then import tax would not be an issue. Failing that then someone in the US could take charge of sourcing similar parts or supplier. We will sort something out. I don't know about you but I am very bored of paying LOTUS tax, so if we sort this one out between us we should be able to get it at a reasonable price and not an inflated super car price!

Guest Troy Halliday

Nigel they are good prices. What we need to do is confirm the thread size and filter/oil seal size to make sure we get the correct take of plate. The remote unit could be for any engine that has a similar oil capacity I would presume. The only thing as I have said that concerns me is the anti drain facility of the oil filter so that oil is retained in the unit for cold startup. We know our engines suffer from lack of oil on cold start which is why the Lotus filter is recomended. I am having to rebuild my engine at the moment and believe me parts aren't cheap.

The reason I suggested a kit was so that if we found a suitable location to fit the unit we could have a batch of pipes and brakets made up to keep cost down.

I am sure between us we can get this all sorted and have oil free engine bays (yea right :lol: )

my engine bay is always oil free... the only way to get at mine is from below :lol:

slade

This discussion sound familiar. I actually have a setup that someone fabricated and I bought on ebay about 6 months before I found the S1.

Its a mounting flange that screws down onto the oil filter fitting on the engine. Then 2 Aeroqip (spelling?) hoses run about 2 feet to a second flange that is set up to receive a filter.

I don't know if it was a custom job or something the guy bought somewhere. I could tahe some photos if it would help anybody.

I have not yet installed it so now is the time if anybody wants a look.

The familiar ring of the threat was about how to orient the filter. Thorughts range from leaving it horizontally mounted in its new position or running the filter down to the underside of the car (threads up) so one would reach under the car (say in front of the rear wheels to reach it.

My plan is to remove the S1's old rear facing air plenum and replace it with a cone filter and hose feeding the airbox. With that plenum removed there is planet of room to mount the filter fange so it faces downward. Of course this is the PLAN. I have yet to verify the positioning will work and I am reluntant to make the filter hoes any longer than 2 feet.

DomG

Dom Giangrasso

1977 S1 Esprit - Lagoon Blue

pics would be nice :lol:

Additionally I always wondered how the S1s intake air without any vents... Anyways, ahead of the rear wheel seems like a decent location... though I think my initial thought of "somewhere in the upper engine compartment" is missing Mark's point entirely :lol:

slade

I'll take some detailed pictures in the morning and post them here.

Slade, the US S1s breath air through a backwards facing opening about 4 x 4 inches. The opening is on a rectangular shaped plenum chamber that tucks between the bucket where the gas tank lives and the engine frame. It has two top openings and the Airbox has two flex ducts that connect to those openings.

Since its rear facing, its not really scooping air as much as its sucking in air. My planned arrangment will do more to scoop air and increase velocity to the airbox.

DomG

Dom Giangrasso

Here are some photos of the remote kit I bought. Note, it is used (on a Turbo, per the seller) and I have not yet installed it.

The whole arrangment was sort of bent like a U hinting that the filter was remoted by the airbox in the Turbo in the same orientation as the original filter only pointing the other way.

The setup is also 33 inches tip to tip so I was wrong yesterday when I said 24 inches. The side that mates to the engine has an O ring while the remote filter side has a mount so it can be bolted in place.

DomGpost-581-1140468900.jpgpost-581-1140469122.jpg

post-581-1140469142.jpgpost-581-1140469161.jpgpost-581-1140469180.jpg

Dom Giangrasso

I have been toying with the idea for a bit now.

a takeoff plate and the remote mountings that look suitable, are in deamon tweeks catalog. total cost looks about

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

Guest Troy Halliday

Dom is there any serial numbers and manufacturer on the take of plate and remote unit. We could always look up the details on that item and see what we can get possibly by the same manufacturer or another one.

Here ya go...

I guess I will have to go take more pics tonight.

On this site:

http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/adapte...ote_filter.html

You can find the 90 Degree adaptor, this replaces the oil filter and the

sandwich adaptor (if fitted) and gives you two ports for the oil lines.

You'll want part number 22-595

Here is a really nice frame rail mount remote filter housing:

http://www.joesracing.com/catalog/item.php/74/

Part number: 42512

Here is the only catch.. the Joe

Edited by lwasson

Yeah i saw the ones at Summit. That Joe's Racing piece is very impressive looking although. Any disadvantages to using a Chevy or Ford filter with one of these kits? Im sure as long as you purchase a high quality piece than it should perform just as well.

Does anyone have pics of this installed on their cars?

Shah

1979 Esprit S2. Long Beach, CA

hmm... any high quality filter as long as it has the backflow valve? sounds tempting

slade