Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Radio antenna - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Radio antenna

I am finally ready to replace the original radio that the car came with. The wires to the radio were all disconnected when I bought the car, so I do not know if the radio works or not. In any event, I have made up my mind to replace with a CD player. I was able to track down the speaker and power wires, but which is the cable from the antenna? There is a bundle with 3 wires in it (covered in black sleeve). Is this the antenna hook up? Is there any way to check if my antenna even goes up and down? I heard that it is a real tough task to work on the antanna for this car. Thanks...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The antenna (or aerial) wire is the thick black wire with the single pronged connector on the end.

The up/down function of the antenna is controlled by a relay(situated behind the inside of the glove box)

There is a single wire that runs to the radio to supply the current to the relay when the radio is turned on. The wire is green in colour, and if you put 12V to it ,the antenna mast should go up(with the Ignition in acc or run position) When you remove the current, the mast should power down.

If it still doesnt work, it might be the relay, dissconnect it and put a live 12V wire to the pink/ slate coloured wire that runs to the antenna motor , and it should go up. If it does, change the relay.

The Antenna lives in the inner fender of the car, behind the trim pannel on the passenger footwell. Pull the glove box liner first, and the leather trimmed kick panel off(removing the circular bung, and pull the wiring harness and A/C line away fron the fenderwell. If you look hard, you will see the motor(silver) , Its held in by the exterior nut around the antenna, and a 10mm bolt securing the motor to the inner body.

Then you prise, pull, swear alot and eventually the antenna motor will come out.

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

No, the antenna Coaxial cable is similar to the type of cable plugged into the back of your T.V. (only black in colour) I will see if I can find a photo :lol:

This is it. The plug is to the left(male).The end to the right is a female(not on the Esprit)

img_0408.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Then you prise, pull, swear alot and eventually the antenna motor will come out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you are already swearing a lot when pulling the antenna out, what are you going to do when you put it all back again?? :(

My tip:

Look for an antenna with the smallest possible motor diameter if you insist on the original setup. Check that the threading for the outer securing nut is long enough. remove the speaker and glovebox to have enough room to work.

This was the second toughest job on the Lotus! The toughest one was

Replacing the wiper wheelbox in the Excel...

If you would ask me to do it again, I would consider to install a fixed roof-antenna or stick-on antenna... :lol:

Edited by jimmybondi

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

The original National panasonic aerial is already very compact.

I had to replace mine due to the mast having been snapped off whilst carwas with a previous owner.

I measured 4 different makes of antenna, and ended up with one 2mm wider in width than the original(closest I could find for reasonable price).

That F*@!$%^sonoffabitch took some getting in! :lol:

Whilst you are working in the vacinity of the heater/climate controls, make sure all the vacuum hoses are on right and you dont knock any of them off whilst installing the Radio. :(

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Hey Stinger I've just been down that road & replaced the bust cassette deck with a flashy cd player bought off ebay for a song ... Blue lighting matches the interior nicely.

Fixing the unit in a sturdy manner is quite challenging, theres not a lot to fasten to / get at especially as the new unit is fractionally smaller than the old one.

Wires - on my UK car these are easy as you can see all the (red) wires to the aerial switch at the bottom of the dash. For an always-on memory wire (needed for modern players) I connected to the blue wire (lights) on the top fuse box connector. (Which had a spare tag). This took much studying of wiring diagram to work out & works fine. Note my cd has all connectors with their own fuses, so presumably protected ok. No smoke yet anyway !

So all ok except for electric aerial, which needs fixing, although it can be extended & retracted manually. Motor whirrs but no action so internal cable must have snapped. Removal looks trixy.

Oh yes, the aerial connector doesn't fit the new unit - need an ISO connector (old aerial pin diameter is way too big).

Heres a related question - I have speaker wires coming out of the doors, can't for the life of me see them in the dash area. These seem to be factory fitted ? I think I'll have to take the seats out to assist contortions & get a good look behind the dash. Currently only the dash speakers are working.

Soon be Spring !

Hey Stinger I've just been down that road & replaced the bust cassette deck with a flashy cd player bought off ebay for a song ... Blue lighting matches the interior nicely.

Fixing the unit in a sturdy manner is quite challenging, theres not a lot to fasten to / get at especially as the new unit is fractionally smaller than the old one.

Wires - on my UK car these are easy as you can see all the (red) wires to the aerial switch at the bottom of the dash. For an always-on memory wire (needed for modern players) I connected to the blue wire (lights) on the top fuse box connector. (Which had a spare tag). This took much studying of wiring diagram to work out & works fine. Note my cd has all connectors with their own fuses, so presumably protected ok. No smoke yet anyway !

So all ok except for electric aerial, which needs fixing, although it can be extended & retracted manually.  Motor whirrs but no action so internal cable must have snapped. Removal looks trixy.

Oh yes, the aerial connector doesn't fit the new unit - need an ISO connector  (old aerial pin diameter is way too big).

Heres a related question - I have speaker wires coming out of the doors, can't for the life of me see them in the dash area. These seem to be factory fitted ?  I think I'll have to take the seats out to assist contortions & get a good look behind the dash. Currently only the dash speakers are working.

Soon be Spring !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do not have speakers in the door. I have two on the dash and two behind the seats. I guess the person who owned the car before me was not much into car audio. So thankfully he left the radio system in original condition including the original am/fm radio. Thanks to everyone for all the hints and info.