Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Turbine Wheel - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Turbine Wheel

I know there is a WTB spot under for sale and wanted but people don't always look there.

AND THIS RELATES TO THE FORMER POSTED (BELOW) Dumbish question about oil level and smoke.

I have a 918 motor here that has been giving me fitts with a rebuilt turbo (left bank) and smoke.

Went through all the oil level tests I could think of just incase it was an over fill causing the smoke.

All the tests where done just to satisfy my couriosity as the right bank never smoked, so I knew from the beginning that the

level could not cause the problem or they would both smoke.

I have determined a quick dip stick test to verify that the 'Olive' is in the correct 103mm spot.

Since you cannot pull the tube up with the head installed on the engine a quick way to check is to:

1) make sure vehicle is flat and level

2) fill the engine up to the full mark

3)put a catch bucket under the turbo

4)get down to the turbo oil return and remove it- allow the oil to empty out of the pan nipple for about 15 min.

5)Now check the level on your dip stick it should be rite at the lower 'Fill' mark. If not loosen the union and adjust the tube until it is.

6)Reinstall return

7)Replace apx 1qt and now it should be at the 'Full' mark.

In my estimation the engine would have to be at least 2qts over full to cause a resting level high enough to seap past the seal rings over night.

Remeber when the engine is running the level is conciderably lower and not likely to back up into the turbo.

Which brings me to what I really posted about-

The smoking on this vehicle turned out to be a bad turbine shaft.

The pinch or squeaze seal ring on the turbine side of the shaft is located in a ring groove just like a piston ring on a piston.

The groove on this one is totally worn out the ring has no surface to seal against and thus lets oil into the exhaust.

What I need is a replacement shaft- new would be great- high quality used ok.

Garretts part # is 4359.2-1

This is for the 918 motor with theTB 25\31 turbos.

ANY help locating this part by LAST week would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance- Tim H

Dynoauthority

Redmond WA

425-869-8324

If wanted I could post pictures of a good vs the bad seal ring and groove.

Sorry about the spelling errors I do not have a spell check on this yet.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

have you used this already ?

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/distributor_locator/distributor_locator.html

...as you have the part-numbers as well, this would mean you have access to some detailed informations -so why not ask one company out of the aftersales-partner group ?!

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/distributor_locator/garrett_kit_manufacturers.html#2

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Power Technologies is a Garrett parts suplier. They helped me locate the Garrett # by looking up the Lotus A918E0060F turbo part#.

The 4359.2-1 is in the Garrett catalog, however, availability was unknown when they tried to find one.

When I try to get to Garrett directly I get reffered to distributors.

I will keep looking.

Thanks for the reply- Tim H

• Gold FFM

even if one single piece sounds cheaper, would'nt it be more worth just to swap over the complete main unit (as it has to come with guaranties !?) ..and add that to your housings. Or just an rebuild done by an contract partner of Garrett, as those would have to support the work in full.. .

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Guest modifiedv8engines

Hi Tim

I am in the process of deciding whether to rebuild my T25's or just buy some uprated or replacement items T28's etc . I have just bought two complete rebuild kits that may not be required if I decide to buy the new ones but on my travels looking for repalcements I found a company in the USA who can rebuild these and probably supply parts. ( company details supplied by CHE)

They are www.mjmturbos.com may be close to you so worth a try ??

Cheers

Paul

We have a national reman company local to us - Alamo. They can easily take care of the ass.

My distributor has the rebuild kit and bearing end plate (compressor side) as they are common to many models of turbo.

The turbine wheel is the odd part out so far.

I would gladly buy a good build able core from someone who is up sizing.

Thanks for the reply- Tim H

I have located a pair of build able cores and should get them early next week.

John Welch of WC engineering LLC was very helpful and informative in regards to our search.

I will post a "smoke free" update when finished!

Thanks to all those who replied.

Tim H

Edited by Spindoctor

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE-

The core turbos showed up and much to my surprise they had the 60 mm compressor wheel instead of the 54 mm.

All else being the same what kind of tuning issues may I incur if I upgrade to the 60mm units?

And does that make these cores the gt28 ?

Thanks in advance- Tim H