Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
GT3 #11 chip and things - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

GT3 #11 chip and things

98GT3

The GT3 #10 chip is well documented and states BHP and torque improvements, but I can't find anything on the #11 chip. Does anyone know any figures for this chip and what I might expect when used in conjunction with a K&N filter and a free-flowing (2 exit) exhaust system (sounding remarkably like Jonathan's!). Is this chip limited by turbo inefficiency at max boost causing high MAT?

Also............ how long does the average actuator on the turbo last before the spring goes weak and limits maximum boost pressure?

Many thanks,

Phil

98GT3 (with new style dash :lol: )

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I 'think' this is the chip Dave Mckenna has.

If so the car will match a V8 imo, dunno whether it was Dave's driving or the BHP but I've never been in anything so quick.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

I think the no 11 put Owen Geddes' engine into meltdown quite rapidly, although I seem to remember he may have specified a higher boost than was recommended by PUK. You are right though, measured impartial comparisons are hard to come by. Dave McKenna has had both and would be ideal for this but I haven't seen a post from him in ages.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• 1 year later...

Hi,

would like to know more about this chip #11, just bought it from Ramspot&Brandt during the week and they claimed it was totally safe if you are using propper gasoline of course (100 octane in germany or 99 in Sweden). I'm chasing torque and power figures for it.

As general feedback I must say that the basic mapping is very different from the standard 1991 920 lotus mapping. It runs smoother, pickup is ALOT better both on and off boost ( it totally transforms the car from an old heavy dinosaur ( but fast) in feel into a brisk and rapid sportscar with modern engine characteristics.

Anyone had a 920 on the rolling road or dyno??

:-)

joakim

• 1 month later...
I 'think' this is the chip Dave Mckenna has.

If so the car will match a V8 imo, dunno whether it was Dave's driving or the BHP but I've never been in anything so quick.

A GT3 matching a V8? Please tell me more.

I'm having the new number 11 chip fitted as we speak. I had the old number 10 prior to that.

Well I think that car would have been pushing 280-290 brake.

So factor in the power to weight and a driving god at the wheel and you'd get near V8 performance.

Perhaps not top end but upto 120 there would not be much in it. I had a few races with an S4s vs V8 and to 100 there was naff between them.

Pulling from the gears the V8 always has it with torque though.

• 3 months later...

I run a #11 version 2 chip (along with an uprated turbo + decat etc) in my GT3. As mentioned above, pick-up from low revs is much improved (but still lethargic and slug like off boost) and power doesn't seem to tail off as much at high revs.

For sheer drivability and smoothness the chip is worth getting, although the car still is no firecracker in it's power delivery and outright horsepower.

I've had no extra servicing problems apart from the normal 4 cylinder stuff (lambda probe, tps, leads etc).

Sorry to be brutal, but the suggestions that it turns a GT3 into a V8 slayer are frankly laughable. (I've owned two V8s in the past) It's better, but the nature of the engine package takes so long to summon it's max power that the V8 will have vanished into the distance before you can say 'turbo lag'.

Heh, no one said 'slaying a V8'.

As I said, with 290 brake (which that car must have been pushing) you're closing in on V8 power:weight ratios (V8 = 253/ton vs 238/ton in 290hp GT3 say).

Having co-piloted in that car in tow with some V8s with VERY competant drivers at the wheel I can only speak from experience.

The thing a V8 will always have is torque, little 2 litre is always going to be slow to pickup but thats what you have gears for :devil:

It was a very fast car with #11 fitted - and really flew but did cause some additional servicing problems of course and made the car not as reliable as it had been previously. Still miss her :-(

Hi,

It also has race fuel injectors now, I think Doug fitted these if I'm correct. Possibly why it's quite thirsty around town. It is quick though! :devil:

Owen

Edited by OwenGT3

ONE WORD:::: NITROUS

throw in a chip 11 then 100shot and bye bye v8 on pull off, up to 100mph i would say, just dont run out of the gas LOL

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)