Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cruise control... - Page 2 - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Cruise control...

The picture makes it look a bit shorter than you want...but it's hard to tell if that's just the picture?

The Omega part is exactly the same length as the one fitted already.

Rich

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rich,

Once you've sorted out how to wire this up, you should then offer a supply and fix kit to make a few extra pounds perhaps? I know I would pay to have one fitted. Or even just a supply only kit...

Keep the good work up!

David

Cruise control turned up, quite a large block about 5"x6"x4" but it fits lovely as above under the ABS computer and the cable looks about the right length to reach the end of the accel cable... needs properly investigating next week most likely.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... struggling to get this thing to work...

I don't have a full diagram of how to wire it up so I'm guessing a bit and I might have killed it...

Mechanically it works OK but the internal electrics are very complex!

• 3 weeks later...

Found this link:

http://62.31.178.162/sytemsandsoftwaredevelopment/systems/automotive/How_to/General/CruiseControl.htm

Details the install on an Astra, and has a better wiring diagram.

I'm pretty sure I've knackered this unit so I've ordered another one... (£5!)

Rich

• 7 months later...

The opal stalk fits right in but I can't get the cruise control unit to work on the bench.

I think I blew up the first unit, the second was DOA and the third appears DOA but I can't get a decent elec diagram for them so I might just be wiring them up wrong!

It's on hold pending inspiration!

Rich

I thought I had it cracked but I think it's the VSS signal that is wrong, the first one I fed a 12V square wave feed without really thinking about it and it was sort of clicking for a bit - then when quiet...

The second wouldn't do anything at all

The third is off a GM era SAAB so may be differently wired, but also does nothing.

I could do with another Omega unit as I have the wiring diagram for that I'll check e-bay again tomorrow.

I also have an oscilloscope now so I might be able to work out what to feed it...

I thought I had it cracked but I think it's the VSS signal that is wrong, the first one I fed a 12V square wave feed without really thinking about it and it was sort of clicking for a bit - then when quiet...

Hey Rich you deserve some spanking here ! Grrr.... VSS is always tied permantely to GROUND, it's the negative power supply !!! :wallbash:

Bipolar/TTL digital circuits: VCC = positive supply

MOS circuits: VDD -> Positive suply, VSS -> negative supply/GROUND.

Edited by Vince

Sorry I wasn't clear - VSS is Vehicle Speed Sensor input from the car :detective:

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry missed this, I was going to pick up on the VSS out from the ECU I can't rememebr the pin, It's also possible my dash is wired for the electronic speedo (There are spare plugs) so I'll use that.

On the bench I'm using a 555 circuit to give a square wave, I suspect that is the problem.... But I have an oscilloscope now so I might be able to do better but got clutch hydraulic problems adn supposed to be moving house!

Edited by Rich H

• 2 months later...

Rich,

Any update? I have a Rostra universal unit ready to install in my 89 Turbo, but haven't found my motivation to install it yet as the car is slowly proving reliable® than previously, however, not sure I deem her reliable enough yet to warrant a long enough trip for a cruise control switch to taunt me!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Nope sorry, this has dropped right off the list now as we are moving house in a couple of weeks and I couldn't get the control units to work on the bench at all.

I ended up using the stalk switches for the radio!

I found that Vaxhall Omegas had 3 switches on the left stalk (Cruse contol) and 2 on the right (Trip computor) so I wired it all up to contol the radio. Mode switch and skip up/down on the left and volume on the right.

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

I was going to look at the variable delay wipe but lost interest... the radio controls all work though.