Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Leaking clutch slave cylinder - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Leaking clutch slave cylinder

fmxa

Noticed the fluid contents of my clutch system on the garage floor yesterday (a week after I had the red hose changed). So, I'm assuming this is the slave cylinder leaking? Found a note and pictures on LEW but want to confirm the procedure is the same on a 97 V8? Any tips or tricks to get this changed, is it a simple job etc?

*Update - is it worth replacing the master at the same time?

clutch0gj.jpg

Thanks,

Paul

Edited by fmxa
Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul, the clutch slave has probably been weeping for a while (the cause of your mushy pedal) which is why I presume the red hose got changed.

As the master cylinder lives in a nice dry, sheltered environment(front luggage compartment), they tend to last alot longer than the slave, so I would just change the slave. :lol:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Mate!

The slave came out in under 5 minutes (piece of cake!), and I'm still debating over replacing the master ....

Paul

Update - got the master and the slave cylinders out in ~20 minutes (a few people recommended to replace the master at the same time so this is what I ended up doing). So far its been a cake walk, now to put everything back together and bleed (bought a power bleeder to speed things along!

Good stuff paul :( get her back on the road and we can get those pics :D

I remember when I had to change the slave cylinder out of my old camaro (Mine unfortunately failed in front of my high school's entry. During escaping (err, leavin') time :P)

I was popluar that week.

As I recall the whole transmission had to come out to get to the slave. And the center console also for some reason.

Isn't everything easier on an Esprit :(

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7