IGNORED

Weissach 2002 Esprit

nybs1

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VERY nice looking car and a good price too! :thumbup:

When I was 'over the pond' , John (Aerobat on the forum from Medicine Hat AB) lent me both his S4 and his Red 2002 V8 to drive at times. A 1000km trip ( from Med Hat - Calgary - Red Deer - Rocky Mountain House then back again ) had no hiccup's what so ever in the V8.

They are an awesome car to drive, should put a grin from ear to ear every-time you put your foot down, and that's not even dropping down a gear!

But even driving at sedate speeds, it would still be a pleasure when the car really does 'turn peoples heads'

Mark TC does a lot of work on Esprit's ( also from Med Hat and on the forum ) and cars come from near and far (I Think he is expecting one from Manitoba as soon as the snow clears, to do a full service with cam belt)

I am not sure how many are in Canada, but when a Lotus run was organised, I think we managed nearly 20 once including a couple of Elise's :)

If I was able to live over there, I would be sooo tempted, even though I would be bringing my 81 S3t with me. TBH, I would also be considering the Blue Evora at $86k too, A good price for a Very exclusive car!

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

The price of a Canadian car is usually a minimum of 1.5 times that of a similar US car. I would look on eBay and see what a nice V8 of that year goes for in the US . . . off the top of my head, I'm thinking $35,000 to $41,500 (but to be honest, I haven't looked recently). So $52,500 to $62,250 (Canadian) might be in order; likely slightly more at the dealer because of profit margins.

Besides the purchase cost always bank in a few dollars ($2000?) a year for wholly unexpected repairs and maybe half that again for expected costs like tires/oil changes/etc. In all likelihood I am underestimating this figure if you drive it often. That's my uniformed 2 cents.

AP (with a '97 V8)

I've seen this car at Weissach - it certainly looks good, but I haven't seen it running. It has been in stock there for quite a while now.

I agree with comment that cars cost more on htis side of the border than in the US, although I don't know how well a 1.5x premium holds true. Esprits can be brought in from the US, which should tend to keep prices in line, but buying it already in the country will avoid a lot of hassle. Having said that, V8 Esprits don't show up on the Canadian market all that often. Overall, it sounds like typical pricing for buying from a dealer, i.e. towards the upper end of, but still in, the reasonable range.

Slight clarification from the last post.

I hadn't checked the price immediatrely before posting and I now see that it is a bit lower than I thought it was. All considered, I think it is a good value. (Also I don't want to see values drop too much in case I decide to sell mine. Not planning on it but you never know).

Mike

'97 V8

'73 Europa TC

'10 Elise SC

Hi Gerry;

Since the Vehicle is Certified, I suspect its worth a tad more than normal private sale vehicles. Given the depth that they say they go to in order to certify the car, I would pay more than a regular private sale. I just talked to Mark at Weissach and the gearbox is advertised as a 6 speed but in fact it's a 5 speed box. The clutch usually goes from over slipping and driving the car too nicely off the line. A smooth, yet somewhat abrupt uptake on the clutch will make it last longer than 20,000kms. The only thing I forgot to ask Mark was if the timing belt was done recently. The car should definitely have had a belt done in the last 2-3 years and if it hasn't... get it done right away by Weissach or Richmond Auto Clinic if you're in B.C. or myself or Paul Botting if you're in Alberta. The timing belt is a very complicated job and requires a number of special tools and is tightened by "tuning" it to a certain acoustic resonant frequency. A difficult job to do at the least and not to be touched by somebody who doesn't know the car well enough (there has been a recent catastrophe in calgary that resulted in a completely blown engine due to someone doing the belt that didn't know what they were doing.) If you would like to chat, you can reach me at 403 581 6875

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Agreed that the belts are important. That car has been at Weissach for a while now. Looks good from the pictures and the price has recently been lowered. It's not often you find one for sale.

PS. It's unfortunate what happened to that Esprit and the entire ordeal. Atleast now it's been taken care of properly. :)

Hey guys,

Well I've been looking at getting an Esprit for some time now. Went to see the car today and liked what I saw. The deal was good so.... It's been sold to me! :)

The forum was definitly useful when doing my final research. Thanks Mark for the advice you gave me on the phone, really helped when I was looking at it and will definitely call you when I need so work done.

Car is getting serviced and will be shipped to Calgary next week. Will post pics etc when I get it.

I was at Weissach this afternoon, picking up the Elise from service. While I was waiting, it sounded like someone was in the process of finalizing a deal to buy the '02 Esprit. Was that you, Gerry? I decided not to stick my nose in.

Mike

'97 V8

'73 Europa TC

'10 Elise SC

Heh Black V8 how about a commission. Just kidding, nice purchase hope to see your car driving around Calgary.

Cheers

Gerry

Lol. Sorry Gerry when I saw someone else interested I knew I needed to move fast ;)

If we stop getting snow I will definitely take it out for some weekend fun!

Matt

Wow, there's a lot of strange coincidences here...

I've been thinking about buying a Lotus over the last year or two, and through this winter was increasingly tempted by the 02 Black V8 at Weissach. I bought my Porsche from them, and had talked to Kai about the car at the auto show. Well, last Wednesday, I had decided to get off the pot and get serious about it. I was googling esprit info and happened upon this thread . . . Wednesday morning the car was still listed for sale, and when I got home Wednesday evening I sent off an email to Kai, and then noticed that the listing was gone on their website! Sure enough, he emailed me back that the car was sold. Needless to say, I was a little disappointed, but I'm moving on looking at other things.

Anyway, when the initial thread was posted a friend had seen it and emailed and asked if it was me making the inquiry, which it wasn't . . . then Black V8 posted about buying it. The funny part is, my name is Matt, I live an hour outside Calgary, and I also drive a 2010 Audi S4!! I'm sure my friend must have thought I was bluffing him and that it was me that bought the car!

So congratulations to the Calgary Matt who actually bought it!! Perhaps I'll see it this summer. I'm still on the hunt, and may end up with an Esprit yet, will see. I belong to a car club in Calgary, and we routinely have 3 V8TTs out to GTGs. Nice to know there's one more in the area! As an aside, what color is your S4? Are you liking it? Mine's Sprint Blue, and I love it . . . in many ways the all around best car I've ever owned.

This post can also serve as my introduction, I guess . . . I don't own a Lotus yet, but I'd say odds are quite good I'll be in one by summer! I've driven all German cars for years, and am feeling the need for something British or Italian with this purchase . . . a little more emotion, and less cold logic :))

Haha that's too funny! A lot of coincidences for sure!

I guess "Matts" have good taste in cars! ;) the S4 is white with a few bolt ons: AWE exhaust, Stratmosphere intake also just bought a Vag-com and once I figure out the software I will do some tweaks to the car as well.

Esprit delivery got delayed as they are doing some work on the car and the parts have not come in yet. Should have it in a week or so.

Wow, there's a lot of strange coincidences here...

I've been thinking about buying a Lotus over the last year or two, and through this winter was increasingly tempted by the 02 Black V8 at Weissach. I bought my Porsche from them, and had talked to Kai about the car at the auto show. Well, last Wednesday, I had decided to get off the pot and get serious about it. I was googling esprit info and happened upon this thread . . . Wednesday morning the car was still listed for sale, and when I got home Wednesday evening I sent off an email to Kai, and then noticed that the listing was gone on their website! Sure enough, he emailed me back that the car was sold. Needless to say, I was a little disappointed, but I'm moving on looking at other things.

Anyway, when the initial thread was posted a friend had seen it and emailed and asked if it was me making the inquiry, which it wasn't . . . then Black V8 posted about buying it. The funny part is, my name is Matt, I live an hour outside Calgary, and I also drive a 2010 Audi S4!! I'm sure my friend must have thought I was bluffing him and that it was me that bought the car!

So congratulations to the Calgary Matt who actually bought it!! Perhaps I'll see it this summer. I'm still on the hunt, and may end up with an Esprit yet, will see. I belong to a car club in Calgary, and we routinely have 3 V8TTs out to GTGs. Nice to know there's one more in the area! As an aside, what color is your S4? Are you liking it? Mine's Sprint Blue, and I love it . . . in many ways the all around best car I've ever owned.

This post can also serve as my introduction, I guess . . . I don't own a Lotus yet, but I'd say odds are quite good I'll be in one by summer! I've driven all German cars for years, and am feeling the need for something British or Italian with this purchase . . . a little more emotion, and less cold logic :))

That is wild!!! Odds against this are pretty strong I would say. Glad you got the Esprit Matt! Hope it arrives in good nick!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

FWIW there's a red 25th anniversary from Southern California that apparently ended up in Canada. Beware, it was salvaged and last time I saw it for sale it said clean title.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Trying to find the info (I have the limited edition number somewhere)

• 1 year later...

Car was 25th anniversary #87 (sorry it's been a while!)