Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cross gate cable replacement - now is the time? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Cross gate cable replacement - now is the time?

ElEsprito

Hello all,

is replacing the cross gate cable a lot easier when the engine is out? I'm wondering how I can get to the nuts at the outer cable end that sits in the chassis. I've taken off the gearlever surroundings so I can access the 'tunnel' but can't seem to reach these nuts. Does anyone know if the interior middle armrest needs to be removed to access these nuts?

Many thanks in advance!

Dennis

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anything wrong with it? If not, leave it alone....my 82 Turbo still has the original crossgate cable after 100,000 miles, no apparent wear...admittedly the adjustment screws are completely rusted solid, but it still works perfectly with a nice smooth gearchange. Not something I would be changing without reason; although it will be easier with the engine out, for sure.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for your response. The reason I'm asking is that I'm under the impression that if you want to use the 'stiffening' modification at the gearbox end of the cable (pls refer to kit sold bij SJSportscars), one needs to install a S3 cable which is shorter to begin with. Or am I misinformed?

The longer cable just has a longer rod on the end. You can cut the rod and tap a new thread onto it if you have the tools. I did this and it has been working perfect for the last year. You cannot change the rod though, so work out the sizes carefully before cutting!

For the cost of buying a new cable, and effort of changing, this is the way I would go.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...