IGNORED

S2 Esprit wing mirror bezel?

CharlieCroker

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Charlie, I need to make one for my self (moulded from the one I have). I made the last one (that got knocked off by a tree) from "Fast cast" and it looked good. I checked the silicone mould a few days ago and it has started to rot so I need to make another. Would you still be interested in these bezels for cost price?

I am after a convex mirror if you know of one...

The mirrors were made by a company called Surrey Steel and were used on some other marques. You can find them on 1978 to 1985 Aston Martins, also Holden Torana, Monaro and Kingswoods in Australia. Rare Spares in Australia started re-manufacturing them around 10 years ago so repro parts may be available "Down Under"

Roo

• 4 weeks later...

Came across this purely by chance, some repro items in America. Shame they are painted white for the advert as the flash makes it difficult to assess the accuracy of the shape.

Have not looked at this any further, just linking the page for anyone else interested;

http://sacramento.ba...t-parts/5363347

Lotus_Esprit_Mirror_ad_2.jpg

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

The owner of that company is called Mike. He has a website called lotusespritparts.com

He's a nice guy. I got a set of door to body finisher trims from him.. They are very good quality fibreglass parts.

Was thinking of getting an s1/s2 hornpad off him and fitting it to an eclat steering wheel, since the s2 steering wheel is pretty rare and very expensive.

Vin Taylor

Was thinking of getting an s1/s2 hornpad off him and fitting it to an eclat steering wheel, since the s2 steering wheel is pretty rare and very expensive.

Member here "Roger Moore" was offering an original S2 wheel recently

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Hi Mark,

I was in contact with Anthony recently. My esprit came with an aftermarket boss that he was interested in. We were going to exchange steering wheels, however the boss didn't fit his car well as it is a Nardi boss rather then a Momo boss.

So still looking for a steering wheel.

Does anyone know if the eclat and esprit steering wheels are compatible.

I have an original eclat steering wheel (the one with the removable centre not the entire horn pad) and the splines are too large for my steering column.

225-lotus-elite--eclat-steering-wheel-restored.jpg

140.jpg

The wheel I have has a fixed boss attached to the wheel.

However, there is a different version with a separate boss that I'd like to try. As I should be able to get an esprit hornpad and hopefully change it over.

Would anyone have a few pics of the eclat steering wheel and boss? (the version with the fully detachable hornpad)

Vin Taylor

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update for those interested. I have made the mould for these Bezels and I have some sensible results. I've had problems with the casting being fragile. This is due to the black dye so I am using only a small amount resulting in the Bezels turning out purple in daylight.

For those who want these, they will need very fine sanding and finishing plus a coat of paint to change the colour. Also, would it be easier for all if I put these on Ebay?

Well here are pics. The yellow one is the original covered in spray putty to mask blemishes. One closeup demonstrates that the copies do need a fine sand and a coat of paint and there are minor blemishes that will need smoothing. They fit my mirrors well, both left and right. As they are made of resin, they are not as robust as the polythene originals and will crack if stressed too far. It helps to warm them up before fitting. They will need a good wash before painting as they are moulded in silicone and primed with something like "Sticks-like" or "plasticote plastic primer". Motor factors and B&Q sell this. They are working out at about 5.30GBP each post-3533-0-18069700-1352759209.jpgpost-3533-0-79487000-1352759216.jpgpost-3533-0-74694000-1352759224.jpgpost-3533-0-67042700-1352759231.jpg