Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Glass sun roof in the V8 trunk? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Glass sun roof in the V8 trunk?

So, I have seen the YouTube video showing how to put the roof in the trunk.  It looks a bit different than my V8 trunk (curved wall at front).  Does the glass roof fit in the V8 in the same way?  The previous owner has mounted an amplifier in the rear panel of the trunk which might be my issue.  Wanted to check fitment before going to all the trouble of moving the amp.

thx

Stu

Stu Calgary Alberta ' 69 Plus 2 '0 0 Esprit V8

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Alex.  I moved the amp but still could not get the roof inserted.  It is fouling on a bump on the lower corner of the rear transom.  Put the amp back in place.

Stu

I can't get my roof in the trunk/boot in my V8 due to the air filter mounted on the wheel arch on the LH side looking into the boot.

• 3 weeks later...

Stu,

I've seen the YouTube video and they make it look so easy.

I have successfully stowed the composite panel in the trunk of my V8 Esprit, both with and without the factory vinyl bag. It was a frustrating experience that I promised myself I would never attempt again. Getting the thing back out, especially with the bag, was nearly impossible. When I feel like going topless, the roof stays in the garage.

Derik

The important thing is to have the roof in portrait with the handles pointing to the left. Then slowly rotate the roof clockwise.

Edited by rizla603104

I would just add the following for what it is worth.

I met a guy with a 96 V8 at Brands Lotus festival last year and we got chatting about the roof and how he could not get his into the boot.

I rather cleverly said that it is awkward but I would happily show him how I do it on my 99 GT.

The thing was I couldn't do it on his, as the side cut aways on my boot were cut away more than they were on his.This was definately done at the factory by the way as mine is a 2 owner car and the previous owner had never taken the roof off.

So check your boot opening size compared to another car.

If useful to anyone I will of course take a photo of where I mean. Let me know.

Mark

Hi Gents

I had this problem on my 2002 car.

The "Air Pump" that is located on the L/H inner wheel arch was problem.

The cable and pipe were long enough so that I could move it to a new location further to the left.

This gave more room and I am now able to stow the roof in the boot/ trunk

Regards

Chris

Success! 

I moved and re-wired the amp, fuses, etc. I relocated the amp flat on the left side trunk floor close to the rear bulkhead.  An in-line fuse saved a bunch of wiring space and prevented fouling the roof panel.  I flopped the cocomat over the amp and all good; a standard rollie bag still fits over top the amp and no heat build-up issues; the amp doesn't run close to full throttle anyway.

I then 'practiced' several times with the composite and glass roof panels, with and without the bag.  The secret trick that is not shown well in the video is the timing of the dip of the right rear corner.  The left corner of the roof panel has to be pretty much touching the air pump with the right front corner pretty high up in the air almost touching the lid.  Then 'dip' the right rear corner to clear the corner of the opening, continue rotation with the lower left corner just above the molded in bit at the rear of the trunk.  Not a terribly clear explanation I am afraid, but worked for me.

I tried it pretty much every orientation possible, and found I needed the hold down spoons at the front and the handles at the rear facing up.  This looks backward to the video, but worked for me.

So with the roof panel in the trunk, the right rear corner hangs precariously in the air?  My battery (Optima red top that fits the tray OK) prevents moving the panel to the right to support the right front panel corner.  I used a roll of paper towel to offer some support.  Does this sound about right?  Clearly any luggage will need to be on the passenger seat while the panel is stowed.

Took a couple of back pills after the workout!  With the sunroof removed and the wind deflector in place the cabin is very comfy and reasonably quiet & draft free.  Really like it!  Also tried the composite roof for the first time; way quieter than the glass panel.  I expect the installed gasket is sized for the composite panel and air was leaking a bit with the glass panel in place.  I am picking up another gasket from the PO this week, which I expect is the taller glass panel type.

Thanks for all the replies; interesting discussion.  Thought it was just me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

as I own a 1998 GT with German registration none of the above 'features' is fitted in my car

..but I would not do this storage with a glass roof !!

-just for the fact that I know those roofs (fibre & glass) are not supported well in the rear of the car.

I have to undo and store the roof every time on a trackday with *safety helmet* requirement, as I'm slightly taller than the average driver for an Esprit is meant to be. So can't fit with roof locked in place.

If you run over a curb, or in terms of roaduse 'over a speedbumb'  ..the roof in the rear boot is stressed, as it is suported mostly only on thre points, with one side hanging over  ..so you would at least need a lot of old towels, to support a roof evenly in the rear, something I can do with a more robust fibre roof but would not risk that with a glass one

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..