Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
any pop-up replacement kits out there - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

any pop-up replacement kits out there

Looking to remove the weight in the pop-ups.. any pop up to non-pop up conversions out there..?

Then tint the perspex the obligatory amber tho I'll keep a set of clear for Mr MOT if I decide I need to put it through..

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i wanted to do the same thing, but even my bodyshop said no to me lol (said its just not done to a pop up car). i belive you can get some quite cheap lambo style light units, but im not sure if the beam would be correct

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

I know I can get MR2 units - may try those - ideally I'll used sealed units and thin perspex Le Mans covers.

I know it's heresey but it's a cpl less things to go wrong and can save some front end weight.

If I have to add weight back in to balance the new engine then I can position for best roll balance and CoG.

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Pop up replacements are available for many types of cars, MR2's, Corvette's, RX7's.

Here is a non pop up kit I installed on my RX7.

artspictures155vz1.th.jpg

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

stop putting pics of the rexi on here,,,love it love it love it

my bodyshop said there maybe a issue with the bumper length and from the lights there is still alot of bodywork in front, and im not keen on the nsx bubble type lights

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

If anyone comes across a well priced kit in the US - bubble kits are fine for me then plz PM me or post here.. lighter the better..

I have series4 Defender round rear lights and indicators now and front round side lights.. like them as they don't look too modern... need to try and keep overall look of car period... and do things that an IMSA guy back then would have done. F40s and vettes were similarly bastardised for racing purposes.

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

If anyone comes across a well priced kit in the US - bubble kits are fine for me then plz PM me or post here.. lighter the better..

I have series4 Defender round rear lights and indicators now and front round side lights.. like them as they don't look too modern... need to try and keep overall look of car period... and do things that an IMSA guy back then would have done. F40s and vettes were similarly bastardised for racing purposes.

Jon,

Many different companies make different styles of "sleek lights" for the RX7, I've never compared the dimensions of my RX lights against the Esprit, but check out ebay and look up RX7. There are versions like mine, bubble style ones, ones with protruding lights etc. I'll see if I can't link a couple up.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Thanks Artie,

Not on top of my list of stuff to do but will come up when body mods start..

No sweat, I'll keep my eyes peeled as this has been a consideration of mine also.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

hi,

look at the new diablo lights, there square pods like the esprit, and they do a rx7 style moulded light conversion aswell, but being lambo i assume it will be a fortune.

im still not sure the pod area is deep enough for the lights to hit the road, i would love modern style lights

Edited by karluk29

i bet these would work? the bonnet is around the same angle

153-5345_IMG.JPG

this is one of jussi pics in the main forum

Edited by karluk29

Hi

Does anyone know the position with lights like these in the UK? I know there are rules about the height of headlights etc. and I would expect something like these to be too low.

I would expect there to be problems with the amount of light hitting the road on dip. There's a lot of fibreglass in front of the lighting pods!

Richard

Hi

Does anyone know the position with lights like these in the UK? I know there are rules about the height of headlights etc. and I would expect something like these to be too low.

I would expect there to be problems with the amount of light hitting the road on dip. There's a lot of fibreglass in front of the lighting pods!

Richard

Richard,

Don't know the specs but youd be surprised what a good set of projector beams can do. My RX7 had pop ups from the factory and when I switched to the projectors I got way better beam pattern as well as much more light on the road. The old pop up beams were poor qualtiy halogen and just didn't send light out very well, too diffracted and soft. The projectors can get a good deal of light straight out in front and project it as fast as you drive!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

this is my only point, can the pattern work on the road itself, i always thought it would be too shallow, but lambo did it? i think there bonnet's are steeper though

I know pop-up lights are considered outdated in terms of styling, but I have to admit I actually like them on the Esprit. I like the sort of clean look of the front of the car with the lights down, with no glass to interrupt it.

Plus, my passenger side light is kind of fun. When I'm traveling with someone, we can make bets on whether it'll eventually stay up, or decide to go back down. Sort of like your own private slot machine...or Whack-A-Mole.

I know pop-up lights are considered outdated in terms of styling, but I have to admit I actually like them on the Esprit. I like the sort of clean look of the front of the car with the lights down, with no glass to interrupt it.

Plus, my passenger side light is kind of fun. When I'm traveling with someone, we can make bets on whether it'll eventually stay up, or decide to go back down. Sort of like your own private slot machine...or Whack-A-Mole.

lol my lights did that for a bit too. Its an easy fix with a kit from Rodney Dickman's Vehicle Accessories (262) 835-9575. Common issue with the motors. I think they are the same as the pop up light motors for a Fiero. It was about $10 and 2 hours.... But then you would lose the fun of betting on the light staying up :o

thought i posted these a while ago.. guess not. Unique yes.. but i'd rather have something with a cool perspex cover.

If I was a betting man I'd say those are from a mid 90's Chevrolet Camaro!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

If I was a betting man I'd say those are from a mid 90's Chevrolet Camaro!

Artie

I think they are generic sealed beam lights.. that cars in japan so i dont thing the lights came from a camaro. Also note the Bride racing seats.. something to consider since no sparco or racaro seats that I know of are narrow enough to fit the esprit.

I think they are generic sealed beam lights.. that cars in japan so i dont thing the lights came from a camaro. Also note the Bride racing seats.. something to consider since no sparco or racaro seats that I know of are narrow enough to fit the esprit.

Yeah, saw that on closer inspection. I found some Corbeau seats that would be a perfect fit and come in black leather for about $500 per seat.

Art

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

would those lights be road legal though? my mate has a 90's camaro, never thought,,,,but it does need perspex, im sure my bodyshop could do it if i really pushed them,,,,there not happy about doing it