Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Chargecooler Radiator - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Chargecooler Radiator

I will be fitting a Chargecooler, Radiator and Johnson pump to my S3 as part of my mods.

I was wonder a few things.. may some of you can help..

1) how are the radiators constructed such as inlet/outlet location, radiator size, material, mountings, etc?

2) how are the water fittings configured.. do they drop under the inlet duct where the hoses are then connected and routed to the engine bay?

3) are they available for purchase, or do I need to have one fabricated?

appreciate any help.. thanks Jan

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be fitting a Chargecooler, Radiator and Johnson pump to my S3 as part of my mods.

I was wonder a few things.. may some of you can help..

1) how are the radiators constructed such as inlet/outlet location, radiator size, material, mountings, etc?

2) how are the water fittings configured.. do they drop under the inlet duct where the hoses are then connected and routed to the engine bay?

3) are they available for purchase, or do I need to have one fabricated?

appreciate any help.. thanks Jan

Jan,

I just finished a custom CC installation. The CC radiator on the SE is basically an additional A/C condensor that has been used as a heat exchanger. You could probably find one from a junk yard, but getting one made is fairly reasonable(I paid 225 usd for mine). The SE CC rad is set up with the inlet/outlet on the US drivers side and mounted with some bracketry attached to the radiator undertray. I believe the inlet/outlet hoses come in from the side by where the rad hoses come in. My CC rad I had custom made, the inlet/outlet are in the front and both come out the bottom of the inlet duct(I cut a hole in the fiberglass tray for the pipes to come out). I used the existing hoses from the oil cooler and rerouted a remote oil cooler in the back with a fan mounted next to the muffler(you can see my buildup on cardomain.com artsespritturbo). You could find a suitable heat exchanger from a late 80's RX7 oil cooler, you'd just need to fabricate some fittings to make it work, these are all aluminum cores and very efficient at cooling large volumes of oil. The rotary engine oil pressure is about 75psi average and uses the oil to cool the internal rotors, bearings, crank etc. PM me if you need more details on my setup.

Art

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Much appreciate your input.. I will check out cardomain for your OC setup.

My thoughts on a setup are similar to yours. I was thinking of having a slightly narrower rad with the inlet and outlets dropping out the ends down thru the recess in the rad tray and follow then follow the OC line route. I was planning to do away with an OC since I figure that most modern synth oils are far less in need of temperature management. I have heard arguments both ways on whether an OC is really needed these days (for a fast road car living on Vancouver Island)! The jury is still out on that one for me.. cheers

Jan

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..

Much appreciate your input.. I will check out cardomain for your OC setup.

My thoughts on a setup are similar to yours. I was thinking of having a slightly narrower rad with the inlet and outlets dropping out the ends down thru the recess in the rad tray and follow then follow the OC line route. I was planning to do away with an OC since I figure that most modern synth oils are far less in need of temperature management. I have heard arguments both ways on whether an OC is really needed these days (for a fast road car living on Vancouver Island)! The jury is still out on that one for me.. cheers

Jan

Jan,

I did retain an oil cooler, just a small unit with a fan located at the rear of the car at the passenger side, one fixing to the old exhaust mount and one end attached with body screws in to the fiberglass under the body. I think an oil cooler is still important, imho. I'll look back thru my email and get the name of the place that produced my CC rad. In retrospect, I suggest using horizontal cooling tubes to maintain a less restrictive core, I had mine made vertically which offers about 30% more cooling capacity but also creates significant restriction when fitted and filled with coolant. CCS Autoparts in Anaheim California is where I had it made. I just uploaded an image of the radiator on my cardomain page. If you want to email CCS their email is ccs_autoparts@yahoo.com, address it to Alberto

Art

Artie

Edited by Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm