Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Headlights elevation motors - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Headlights elevation motors

Hi guys,

have a Problem with my left headlight which will not come out anymore... As the mechanic seems to be all right I found out, that the Motor works but can´t bring the power to the mechanic.

I took it out and now found, that the White gear inside the motorcase is no more able to turn the shaft inside it. As I read this could be a common Problem I will now Strip it complete but can´t get the gear/shaft combination out of the case... It still moves al Little bit but will not come out... As I don´t won´t to damage the gear or something else - maybe someone has a Suggestion how to get it out?

Enclosed you find a pic - should I only pull it harder on the shaft? ... huh? just can upload 10.99 KB ??? so no pic - sorry!

Thanks!

Edited by Calavera

This is the white gear removed from my motor.  I found this pretty easy to remove and clean.

Lotus001.jpg

The actual motor part was the problem (seized).  This took a bit to disassemble and clean.

Lotus004.jpg

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

...its absolutly the same Thing! So could you just pull the shaft/gear straight out? If I pull on the shaft it feels as if it is blocked somewhere? Thought I have to bring it in some Special Position first or open the screw on the head side of the main-shaft...? 

And how you could upload such big pics? ;)

Took a bit of persuading to remove the rotor.  Partly because it was held in by the magnetism and also the brushes need to be pulled back as well.  From memory when I put it back together again I used string to hold the brushes back so that I could re insert the rotor assy back into the casing.  Its a bit fiddly.  But it must have worked as I did this job 10 years ago and have'nt had any problems since.

All my photos are stored on photobucket, and then I just link them across.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

right - now I got it!

We fxed a screw again to the shaft and then brought it out with a special push-hammer my neigbour luckily had...

On our surprice a lot of little nuggets of broken plastic came out of the inner of the gear... now I now why it didn´t work anymore. I read there should be a rep.kit for it - with three new rolls to fit into the gear - hope it´s availible somewhere anymore...

some of the Nuggets - should be the rests of the original rolls...

Reste_zps760b9634.jpg

the inner side of the gear - here should sit three rolls bringing the power from the gear to the shaft

Antrieb_zps02a22f13.jpg

the open gear-case with rests of the rolls and a lot of grease

Lager_zpsa0a22541.jpg

SJ082M0033 £18.10 plus vat and p and p from SJs.  there is a guy in the states who does a metal gear but there doesn't seem much point as it usually the rollers that have gone.

Took a bit of persuading to remove the rotor.  Partly because it was held in by the magnetism and also the brushes need to be pulled back as well. 

Mine was just like that!!!  Also if you split it that far the  round bearing at the tail end of the shaft is held into the housing by a press in spring washer and when the bearing and shaft are rusted together like that you end up pulling the spring washer out with it backwards. However its  I was quite pleased that even a motor as rusty as that could be got working again.

post-1261-0-62515000-1378642301.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...