Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1978 Lotus Esprit S2 - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1978 Lotus Esprit S2

My S2 has a black and gold nose badge and a black and gold wheel centre badges. Is this normal for an S2 that's not the JPS edition? All the pics I've seen of the S2 have the black and silver badges. The car is silver now but was originally Carnival Red I believe.

10310267476_ea29ab730a_o.jpg

10310388423_d228b9c3bd_o.jpg

Edited by Freemason

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Interior trim in chrome. Steering wheel centre cap in black and gold but looks brand new so suspect it is not original. Alloy gear knob looks original and has black and gold Lotus logo.

post-15782-0-47564800-1381933577.jpg

post-15782-0-75967200-1381933831.jpg

post-15782-0-44928100-1381933969.jpg

post-15782-0-42939000-1381934099.jpg

post-15782-0-22299900-1381934162.jpg

Edited by Freemason

Gear Knob is definitely after market.  It seems like you have a later steering wheel.. you might have luck trading your steering wheel with the member 'Roger Moore' as he is looking to replace his original steering wheel with the momo type you have installed on yours.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/user/2977-roger-moore/

I believe SJ sell the original style white center caps and probably you can get hold of the black and silver badge easily..

That is if you are looking to bring your car to orginal condition

Vin Taylor

Expensive, but this is an option for the nose badge:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171069777997?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The ebay badge pics look slightly different to the design on the SJ black and silver nose badge. I wonder if the ebay one really is genuine. The back of it has a M/W logo and is stamped "Manhattan - England". 

Edited by Freemason

Kimbers has provided a very informative post here on why my car might have black and gold nose badge and wheel centre caps:

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/60802-lotus-genuine-very-rare-60s-nose-badge-emblem-black-unused-57mm-2-14/?p=476682#entry476682

Edited by Freemason

Went to replace the old rusted bolts on the tailgate today and when I loosened the left side I heard a horrible noise and this happened:

10395111523_252d917a92_o.jpg

Left hand hinge looks ok:

10394976724_1cc88a4266_o.jpg

But right hand hinge looks bent, surely that curve is not right:

10394973254_76e2eafcfd_o.jpg

Pretty sure the reason it's pulling to the left is because a previous owner fitted a new gas strut on the left side, which after removing I discovered is a good few centimetres longer than the original looking right hand strut. Tailgate was always uneven, with a bigger gap on the right than on the left. Pulling the left strut off straightened up the tailgate, but now I'm left with at least one bent hinge.

10395101703_b01a43c442_o.jpg

So I'm thinking the tailgate will have to come off, and I'll be ordering two new gas struts and two new hinges from SJ's.

Edited by Freemason

Hi Freemason, yikes to the tailgate pic!

Taking off the tailgate is a two person lift, as it is both heavy and can damage paint bumping it around. I think some folk can do it with a hoist, but I'd still worry. You probably did this, but I would have disconnected the gas struts and used a soft piece of 600mm long timber to hold up the tailgate when you loosen the bolts. The gas struts will be under load and twist the tailgate.

The hinge looks bent - it's not necessarily destroyed - can be gently bent back? I would check the bushes too where the hinge bolt goes into the car roof. if there is movement, they will need replacing.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got a few bits back from the powdercoater today.

Clockwise (roughly) from left:

- bracket that holds shelf above fuel tanks X 2

- door latch X 3

- tailgate striker

- tapping plate, tailgate striker

- tailgate striker shims

- bonnet rail strut bracket (on RH wheel arch in front boot)

- door catch nut plate X 2

- plate on windscreen wiper and washer switch (screws and plate on new SJS one had some corrosion)

10818590025_7eb9cfe706_o.jpg

10818596576_4e1c17d960_o.jpg

Edited by Freemason

Sorry I'm a bit confused, which part exactly are you referring to?

This particular powdercoater doesn't do plating, but they told me everything has a zinc primer so should last practically forever.

Mainy the door catch and the rear hatch hinge bracket

The brackets look great powder coated, but I dont think these brackets would last very long once you start opening and closing the doors ..

lotus_esprit_door_hatch.jpg

10818590025_7eb9cfe706_o1_zpsddc082af.jp

Also looks like you have an extra door catch :)

Sorry to be the barer of bad news.. but definitely worth sorting out before you install :)

Vin Taylor

Hmmmm…I see your point.

Perhaps I should have taken it somewhere where they can actually zinc plate. Obviously where the door and tailgate strikes the latches it will wear out the powder coat pretty quickly, but aside from that I reckon they ought to last ok?

This was the state of the tailgate striker before powder coating:

10820365534_31868ee6c0_o.jpg

Also, the tailgate shims, now that they're painted, they don't stack very well because the paint isn't 100% even.

Grrrr!!

Nice recovery of parts, also agree with plating the door catch - I will be doing this too as the paint has already worn off. Pity about the shims, I find that everything on these cars takes 2 or 3 goes to fit right, frustrating sometimes :)

Here's a pic of mine :

WP_20131112_007_zps6b05bc5f.jpg

Also had the rear hatch bolt re-plated .. and also the tailgate strickers (can't find the parts for the time being ) haha - doesn't help having the entire car in bits!

WP_20131112_008_zps174aec15.jpg

Vin Taylor

• 2 weeks later...

New goodies: Tikore custom titanium lug bolts:

11059163204_fc1b9a3b40_o.jpg

This is the original new bolt from R.D. Enterprises that was used as a model to make the new ones:

11059038455_c2b9790ac0_o.jpg

And here's the titanium one. 20g weight savings per bolt, and will never rust:

11059195643_1d1e9bdd5b_o.jpg

Edited by Freemason

I got the specs off this old thread :

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/53682-s2-speedline-lug-nuts/

I also sent them an original bolt from RD Dent to reproduce. Cost was around US$600. Titanium was never going to be cheap...

Thanks

As you say, not cheap !!