Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Sound, vrrm, vrrm, vrrm... - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Sound, vrrm, vrrm, vrrm...

Question about exhaust note, what can you do to make a deeper tone to the exhaust and can you go straight past the center box i.e remove it and replace it with straight through pipes, would that mean a deeper vrrm or just bloody loud?

On my excel I have a center box , but no back boxes .It is a stainless with a 4 into 1 maniffold .  It is louder than standard . I think it sounds good and not overly loud.

.21.82.jpg

You could also balance the exhaust noise, with some added induction noise from the carbs by fitting k&n filters.

Not forgetting that a freer flowing exhaust and some k&n's will give you a few extra horses

• Like 1

I've taken the centre box out of my eclat and replaced it with a 2 x 3 inch stainless straight through round silencer and a pre-made 2" - 1 3/4"  Y  piece. It sounds superb, like it should, though not loud and reduces some of the restriction in the exhaust system.  The next problem in the system is the link pipes. I've been looking at making some up in a slightly larger bore 1 5/8". These should fit nicely inside the Y piece outlets and over the existing rear silencer stubs.  I'm hoping to get round to making up the link pipes in the next couple of months. Changing the centre box was one of the best updates to date.

To answer the first question, There's very little sound dampening in a 3 x 2" silencer and with hindsight i might try a straight pipe and a Y piece to save a few quid. The rear silencers seem quite adequate. The most restrictive part of the system are the link pipes.

• Like 1

It's bit tricky getting under the car right now, (suffering a bad back) perhaps next week. If it helps though, The total length of the 3" x 2" silencer and jetex Y piece that I installed was about 780mm. I had a stainless hanger bracket welded to the silencer and had to use reduction pieces to fit the 1 1/2" link pipes into the 1 3/4 Y piece outlets.  

Sound wise, Just last weekend I was followed to the next lights by a local car aficionado who wanted to know what engine I had in the car. He couldn't quite believe it was only a 2 litre and asked me what turbo I was running. 'Sounds sweet' were his final words.

So, sound wise, I think that can be chalked down as a qualified approval.

Re, video and sound, I may be able to do this. I'll look into it.

• Like 1