Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brakes - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brakes

Just picked up my Esprit today, on the way back I had occasion to break suddenly and the car veered to the right, according to the service report the brakes were freed off and new pads fitted. Question is could it be a case of a stuck piston or something more sinister? If the latter is there a re-conditioned caliper available and from whom

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably needs to be in the tech section BUT if you find you're in need of a new set of calipers I will be ditching mine from the SE soon, should be the same bendix / toyota ones so they should bolt straight on.

Don't want the earth for them either so let me know.

A lot of the time with calipers it's a combination of dirt, brake dust and corrosion which help keep the pad against the disk face - all i can suggest atm is take the wheel off and remove the pads and clean it in there and try it again.

What ever the problem it should be a quick/cheap fix.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Chris - could be if they've only serviced one side, that will now be working MUCH better than the other, and causing the unequal braking.

Just a thought, but that's why people usually only do new tyres/brakes etc. per 'axle' to avoid that happening.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Chris - could be if they've only serviced one side, that will now be working MUCH better than the other, and causing the unequal braking.

Just a thought, but that's why people usually only do new tyres/brakes etc. per 'axle' to avoid that happening.

Could also be that one side had an old rotor and one had a new rotor. Did they replace any of the rotors?

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Probably needs to be in the tech section BUT if you find you're in need of a new set of calipers I will be ditching mine from the SE soon, should be the same bendix / toyota ones so they should bolt straight on.

Don't want the earth for them either so let me know.

A lot of the time with calipers it's a combination of dirt, brake dust and corrosion which help keep the pad against the disk face - all i can suggest atm is take the wheel off and remove the pads and clean it in there and try it again.

What ever the problem it should be a quick/cheap fix.

Thanks for that Jonathan. Looking at it I am going to have to do a wire brush and paint job on the springs, suspension and calipers but will try as you suggest taking the pads out, cleaning it down and seeing what happens. Thanks for the offer of the calipers. Note with interest where you live, I actually work at the Isle of Grain so it would be no problem to arrange to pick them up if I can't effect a repair on the ones on the car now. Regards, Chris.

No worries, yep grain is not too far away - old man used to do stuff at the power station there when he worked for the CEGB / Nuclear Electric.

If you're going to do a cleanup check out the GT3 page (link below) has loads of pics of the back end, haven't started the front yet but it's a lot easier to work on - warning - restoration work can get addictive :blink:

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

No worries, yep grain is not too far away - old man used to do stuff at the power station there when he worked for the CEGB / Nuclear Electric.

If you're going to do a cleanup check out the GT3 page (link below) has loads of pics of the back end, haven't started the front yet but it's a lot easier to work on - warning - restoration work can get addictive :blink:

I agree Jonathon, but am sure the car would feel a lot better getting rid of the rust on the springs, suspension arms etc etc plus I can do it at my leisure

Hi Chris

Before you do anything check your tyre pressures.

Nick S4s

Did that Nick, I think it will benefit from a right good wire brush down and thorough clean and re-paint, general tidy up, like Jonathon quite rightly said it can be addictive but I am sure it is preventive maintenance

Thats a fair one Stu, I know from the receipt from the last service all the pads were changed and it does say brakes were freed off, whether they have just changed the pads and not bothered cleaning the piston, applying copper grease etc will become apparent when I strip it down

The float pins in the Toyota brakes have been known to get stuck at times.

Usually happens when when the calipers travel to place where the grease has been washed away or the exposed portion of the pins where the grease has actually dried. hard for even a mechanic to tell unless they slide back the small rubber boot. cover. It is easy to overlook unless they do a lot of these brakes.

I would suspect when the new pads were installed the caliper position has altered from the pre installation position. The calipers have lateral movemnat to keep them centered on the rotors when float pins bind they do not center the calipers on the rotors and uneven brake grab will occur. also unless this is corrected one side of the pads and rotors may have excessive wear in the near future or at the worst excessive heat and warping.

I would remove pads (10 min proceedure) to check the play in the calipers and move them side to side (in and out from the car). If they do not slide in and out them take a mallet or hammer and tap them till they break free. Clean the pins of dried grease (which is usually bone dry) then use synthetic caliper grease amd coat each of the float pins under the rubber boots, after greasong them work the calipers in and out untill they slide smoothly. You will not be able to do this unless the pads are out of the calipers.

I have seen the float pins seize up on a lot more cars than stuck calipers.

Gook luck,

Calvin

Edited by CNH

When I changed to the Brembo calippers, on my drive home from the shop th ecar also started to veer right. After a few phone calls the guys from the shop picked the car up and ended up exchanging the right and left disks and pads. Then all was fine.

Their explanation was that the combo of toleranced in the brake system and the poly.ureth.bushes in the struts and torsion bars could have led to this phenomena... :blink:

Till now all is fine.... ( that is 4000 Kms later...)

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

Ditto that - had to re-grease the pins on both S4s rears

The float pins in the Toyota brakes have been known to get stuck at times.

Usually happens when when the calipers travel to place where the grease has been washed away or the exposed portion of the pins where the grease has actually dried. hard for even a mechanic to tell unless they slide back the small rubber boot. cover. It is easy to overlook unless they do a lot of these brakes.

I would suspect when the new pads were installed the caliper position has altered from the pre installation position. The calipers have lateral movemnat to keep them centered on the rotors when float pins bind they do not center the calipers on the rotors and uneven brake grab will occur. also unless this is corrected one side of the pads and rotors may have excessive wear in the near future or at the worst excessive heat and warping.

I would remove pads (10 min proceedure) to check the play in the calipers and move them side to side (in and out from the car). If they do not slide in and out them take a mallet or hammer and tap them till they break free. Clean the pins of dried grease (which is usually bone dry) then use synthetic caliper grease amd coat each of the float pins under the rubber boots, after greasong them work the calipers in and out untill they slide smoothly. You will not be able to do this unless the pads are out of the calipers.

I have seen the float pins seize up on a lot more cars than stuck calipers.

Gook luck,

Calvin

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

I've just bought a set of brembo rears and am now going to sell my original rear which are recon and never used since. They are painted red and have new unused porterfield pads, very expensive and 3 good discs!! 2 as new!!! You can have first shout if you like before I advertise them....

Mark

here's a pic

Edited by mwmackenzie

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport