Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

Looking for the original radio, a Motorola LT558. Have to believe someone has one somewhere, doesn't matter if it doesn't work. Wonder how many months this will take?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Is this the Motorla LT558????? Shown in the lower picture, the radio knobs look like a Motorola design?attachment=30531:image.jpg]

Or does anyone know if this pioneer was an option?

post-17315-0-78009900-1420917414.jpg

If someone has pictures of the S1 radios it would be a great help.

post-17315-0-34083800-1420917256.jpg

The end result of 9 months work and scouring the Internet, a fully rebuilt steering columb with new keys! The blanks came from S and J but the local locksmith said they are Leyland keys and he stocks them also. As I said before the new ignition switch is off a triumph and was supplied by Rimmer Bros.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Spent hours rubbing down the Binnacle and other bits for Nextel coating. Two grades of paper down most of the binnacle glue gone. Slight repair required on edge of plywood then a few more hours of rubbing down and ready for primer. Plan to rebuild and dry fit all parts and pipes prior to Nextel so no damage occurs to the finish. Think this will take a while!attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The early tartan cars with the centre ashtray (which is what I believe you're trying to recreate) didn't have that slot in the binnacle - well at least mine hasn't anyway!

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Thanks Paul. Have a late S1, so keeping all original parts and restoring to best possible condition. The cars were improved and modified by Lotus as they gained experience. Mine being a late car has many improvements as seen on the S2. Always wanted the bond car and that's why this will be Tartan trim and centre ashtray. No point in rebuilding a car to its factory spec if you don't like the trim or colour, mine was Bronze with cream Leather - which I think is gross! Don't think there's any such thing as a concours S1, they just weren't built to that standard, but so far Gordon Masson has the best and most original car I have seen.

Mmmmmmm this has got me thinking!The demist system as fitted to my S1 is the same as the S2 and was a Lotus improvement aimed at solving demist issues. However the binnacle vent may cause discolouration of the Nextel coating, as the air always contains contaminants and, being light grey, this would be easily visible. So am now thinking whether it would be worth changing it back to the first S1 setup? Any thoughts out there?

Mmmmmmm this has got me thinking!The demist system as fitted to my S1 is the same as the S2 and was a Lotus improvement aimed at solving demist issues. However the binnacle vent may cause discolouration of the Nextel coating, as the air always contains contaminants and, being light grey, this would be easily visible. So am now thinking whether it would be worth changing it back to the first S1 setup? Any thoughts out there?

The ventilation is poor - whether the slot in the binnacle improves things I can't answer (mine having no slot). You could always fit a cloth filter inside that vent, but that would probably reduce the airflow to next to nothing !  As you already have the slot, I'd keep it.

Well after some deliberation:- Just reviewed the Lotus heritage certificate, the car was originally Bronze with cream leather and brown Marcasite. The engine is not the original, but is a Lotus Esprit 907 engine as confirmed by the serial numbers. With this in mind and considering I am copying the bond car I have decided to reglass the binacle fit the vents and go early S1. Even though the demist system currently fitted is better, in reality the car will never venture out when it is required. The previous owner had already acquired the center ashtray and vent grills from the early car. He also had the interior retrimmed to tartan. Only problem is the seat headrests are also tartan. For those bond fans out there Nick Fulcher re trimmed the headrests to green bcause when they started filming the Tartan headrests clashed with Roger Moore complecxtion. So green headrests, center ashtray and dash vents. Only a little more work required- think the timescale is slipping but then it's not changing rooms!

We'll need to get three vent nozzels like this one.post-17315-0-72435600-1421480452.jpgthis could hold up the restoration. Apparently they were fitted to the cortina MK2 and according to the Cotina club come up on ebay regularly. if anyone knows of any please let me know.

Fitted the steering columb. Does anyone know how the column cowling is held in position? There are four screws that hold each half together but appears to be no other fixing!post-17315-0-50305500-1421778743.jpg

Am now dry fitting all interior parts before Nextel coating.

There are 4x No.6 x 1/2" black coloured self tapping screws that screw through the outer (top I think) clam shell and into the smaller (lower) one. They screw into the plastic - there are no other parts involved. No point in fixing it in place yet until your dashboard is in and all the indicator stems are in the correct positions on the column otherwise you may not be able to reach the screws later on. You can just make out the positions in this photo.

post-3309-0-26348300-1421780420.jpg

Thanks Jon, am assembling all bits and checking alignment then will dismantle - so that I know they all fit before they are painted, some holes to fill in too. Quite an offset on the steering column, hope they are all like this!

Are two of these screws also used to hold the back of the binnacle to the dash by screwing up thru the dash?

Well will post pictures of glass fitting as promised but delayed at the moment. Don't have the two lower clips for the window tailgate trim. Only top ones are available from S and J so will have to make some using the upper clips as a guide. Hence a delay. Must say thanks to all those guys who have helped me get this far. If anyone needs pictures of any part let me know and will post on here. Cheers.

Ps Jon, that picture is stunning, doesn't look like it needs restoring!

Ps Jon, that picture is stunning, doesn't look like it needs restoring!

Erm, Fabian, that IS the retrimmed interior that I put back in the car last summer, and removed again for the paintwork in November. I didn't bother fitting the chrome interior trim as I knew it was coming out again !

If you look at the thread on the S1 trim you will have seen the bond pictures. Not only are S1 Esprits slightly different depending on the production date, but the Bond car is not a car but cars- they have different interior trim. The binacle is very dark grey in close ups and in some scenes appears to be a cloth and not Nextel! This is the evidence.post-17315-0-63354000-1422038927.jpg but then the Bond museum car has a Nextel binnacle.post-17315-0-91783700-1422038994.jpg So I have decided to compromise and continue with a Medium grey Nextel not totally Bond but appropriate for the car. Another dilemma if you look at enhanced picture of the movie you will see the bonnet is raised on the left corner, as is mine. This is how the car was produced. Do I continue the plan and make it flush or leave as is? Nothing is straightforward with an Esprit!

Well what a bit of luck. The Cortina club have come good and provided two of the vent Nozzels of a cortina. I got lucky on ebay and the hours of searching paid off with two more Nozzels from a Lotus Cortina. I now have four! So can continue modifying the dash.

Steering!

Well I post this for anyone who has never reassembled the Lotus Esprit steering columb and rack. There are two things you need to know. The steering rack is held in place with four bolts( two each side). Then between the rack and the chasis there are shims. If like me you did not take apart the rack or refit it, you must ensure the shims are installed so the universal joints have sufficient clearance from the chasis. This is critical Also the universal joints must be "phased". What does this mean? Well basically the universal joints have to be orientated on the splines so that the wheel when turned has a constant turning force. There's a Lotus instruction on how to do this.

Radios - don't belive the Motorolla LT558 exists! Can't get a picture of one and nobody has seen one. So went for the Philips Lotus option which was far easier to obtain, a bit of luck always helps.

Only top ones are available from S and J so will have to make some using the upper clips as a guide.

The bottom rear clips for the trim have been obsolete for a while now. They are not the same as the top ones as the angle is totally different. I had some made but not sure how many I have left - or where I put them!!

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire