Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 46 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Clock finished. Cut a piece of printed circuit board with contact on. Attached the reset wires so the clock can now be set using the H selector from the front bar!

The Lifeline extinguisher I bought is four litre and a tight fit above the fuel tank. Jons dumpy 2.25 would be better as it can be set further back. Have decided still to fit it. Is there any reason everyone seems to fit the extinguisher on the pax side? I was thinking it would be better to mount it drivers side away from the exhaust manifold, mine gets real hot!

Jon, I think the front quater window job is worse than doing the heater matrix, the Lotus gane of snakes and ladders continues! Where am I going to get this pax side window from??? image.jpg.b3bf6b333e6ae32d62a69686693093

Top advice, never ever ever attempt to remove a newly bonded quater window!

22 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Is there any reason everyone seems to fit the extinguisher on the pax side? I was thinking it would be better to mount it drivers side away from the exhaust manifold, mine gets real hot!

The early car's had the battery in that area on the driver's side. Yours has it in the boot floor as it's a later car.

3 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Jon, I think the front quater window job is worse than doing the heater matrix, the Lotus gane of snakes and ladders continues! Where am I going to get this pax side window from??? image.jpg.b3bf6b333e6ae32d62a69686693093

Top advice, never ever ever attempt to remove a newly bonded quater window!

Oh shit!

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Looks like you'll be ringing LotusBits in the morning then. Is that glass the same on the S1,S2,S3,S4? If so you may be able to find one from Douglas Valley on eBay but it won't be cheap. I think Giorgio is also looking for one of these.

The one thing that worries me about this car is all the glass (apart from the windscreen which is available).

6 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

ThevS1 glass is clear, thats the problem.

Yes, a very big problem! If I had spare glass I'd be hanging onto it for myself in case I ever needed it.

All the glass (apart from the windscreen) is toughened and when I enquired about having the rear glass remade after I broke mine i was quoted £3000 for the tooling with a minimum of £3000 worth of glass. There are only a couple of places left in the UK that can make toughened glass now I believe.

There was a slight gap from the front seal. The Lotus manual is wrong it says th glass should be in the center of the frame. In fact it must be on the outer edge or the seal will not work. Trouble is I installed it so well and forty years of stress shattered it very easily. My other solution thin PVC strip behind seal held in place by rubber. If only I could go back. I get the feeling this car is a never ending saga!

All the trim will be finished minus the seats and door cards next week. Now this!

I thought the seal fits against the frame, not the glass? I didn't touch mine it's how it left the factory and that's how it's staying!

The glass that Giorgio found looks tinted to me...

If the glass is in the center channel the seal will leak, see previous picture. May be they all leaked anyway?

There needs to be only a very small amout of seal between the frame and glass on the outer edge.

£6000 for a quater window? I'll start my own company first!

The glass on my car is towards the outer - I assume they're all like that? Are you saying your glass was in the centre of the channel? If the seal between the glass and frame is okay it won't leak. I don't understand...

I put them both in according to the Workshop manual, which is wrong as it says the windows show be in the center on the channel. If they are in the center the rubber dooor seal is about 1 mm short of the front quater glass.

image.jpg.56eddbdd466bbbdf6ee291d525d913

If I can get two windows I'll smash this out and do it again! May have to outsource to India!

Okay I see what you mean - don't take it out in the rain or wash it! But don't try taking the glass out of that one or you'll be looking for two.

So are you saying that when you got the car the glass wasn't fitted in either of the window frames?

Both of the quater windows were loose, so refitted them exactly as per the workshop manual which is wrong!

Thought they could be removed easily - wrong! Manual says to smash them if you can't get them out! If these window arn't made any more what happens if you have an accident?

The solution which I should have done is place a PVC strip against the glass just under the lip of the seal, and lightly bond it to the quater glass.