Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 14 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

All the remaining powder coated and plated parts have returned from the lads at Aurora powder coating in Ash Valve. They've done an excellent job. The doors are now ready for reassembly the powder coated framers have returned as new. The boot carpets have also arrived, just need time to finish it all.

So will I! Have a million bits too. Will post reassembly on here. First problem replacing bolts. The bolts in the beam are 8.8 grade 12 mm. The bracket welded bolts are UNF thread.

post-17315-0-63564300-1431007462.jpg the doors have now been resprayed, the door frames powder coated and all other parts cleaned for re-assembly. Will post on here a photo guide. Have to weld the 1/2 inch UNF bolt to the door hinge where the bolt sheared and make two door brackets as they are missing. When I bought the car the doors were not on the car. I may also be missing the door Handel brackets, so may have to get some of those too. The carpets from S and J have arrived so will finish the vent pipe glueing and fit the carpets also.

The parts manual is a good place to look up the door rebuild. But surprisingly the Esprit manual also has quite a bit of info on door reassembly. Here are the parts manual pictures.post-17315-0-63900900-1431008277.jpg

To clarify the two bolts in the above picture are 12 mm metric 8.8 grade high tensile steel.

The bolts welded to the hinges are 1/2inch UNF.

post-17315-0-96979100-1431008258.jpg

It's taken me ages to source parts, probably longer than the time I've spent rebuilding, so here's a shortcut for anyone thinking of a door rebuild.

Bolts Ebay - 12mm metric 8.8 high tensile steel and 1/2 inch UNF

Felt channel - woolies, picture previously

Butyl Tape for front quarter window - ebay

Window metal edge on top S and J sports cars.

Colour coded wires for window motor - Autosparkes.

Missing or Broken parts Lotus Bits, PNM engineering both very friendly and helpful.

• Like 1

I believe it's 20, but am not an expert. I believe the thread pitch is determined by the diameter of the bolt, if the thread is UNF, so a 1/2 inch UNF bolt is what I ordered and it fitted. Hope this helps.

Here's another mystery solved. The three nut metal plate in the picture holds the internal door handle on. After serveral attempts the screws that hold it on are

UNF PanPozi Philips head

3/16 inch

3/4 length

Available at a very reasonable price from www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk, on ebay.post-17315-0-01358500-1431105764.jpg

Got my internal door handles from SJ.

IMG_2393_zpsydlfjwfv.jpg

Don't suppose you have a pic of that door handle flipped around? I don't seem to have the plates sticking out either end on my old one either.

Edited by Freemason

Mmm you've got me thinking. Maybe the handles that came with my car are not the original ones? Can anyone out there confirm which type is correct?

Have had a look. Believe my door handles are original. The metal tabs are not required. This is how mine are fixed. Thanks to Vin I can confirm that the tab type door handles are MGB and available new for £30 in VAT from MGB parts dealers. My doors are original with no fiberglass repairs. The handle fits on the right in the picture where the four holes are. There are three holes in the back of the handle where the screws pass through. The handle is screwed to the door using the metal plate and screws shown earlier. The door card is then placed over the handle( the cutout is bigger than the handle) and the black plastic gasket is fitted to seal the gap.post-17315-0-36815000-1431155147.jpgpost-17315-0-72700600-1431155175.jpgpost-17315-0-17884300-1431155197.jpg

Here's another problem. The new exterior door handles are assembled back to front.post-17315-0-92453600-1431164510.jpgpost-17315-0-37356300-1431164530.jpg not sure who supplied the handles as they came with the car. The operation is in reverse so will have to rebuild them using parts from the original handles. Nothing on this car is straightforward!

I have just be examining the door brackets, there are no door shims and only two angle brackets! So will have to buy some shims from S and J and make some angle brackets.

Here is my new LH handle from SJ together with the old one I pulled off the car.

Another difference on mine is that the new one needs two bolts through it instead of coming with two nuts for the threads fixed to the door handle body on the old one. I fit some M5 bolts in there but it felt pretty tight, might be some other non-metric size.

And what do you mean the new one is back to front? Mine are the same, so not looking forward to rebuilding!

IMG_2402_zpsr4uuvovu.jpg

IMG_2399_zpsglmmrnky.jpg

Edited by Freemason

In your picture the mechanism held by the clip for the push rod is reversed. It may still work like this have not tried it, but have swapped parts over on mine to match the original. Removed the threads from the old lock and fitted them to the new.

Hi Vin. Can't get any photos as have fitted boards. They run beside fuel tank, out thru two holes in the boot, they are held to underside by P clips screwed thru the body. Just put spare wheel back and fitted windscreen tape. International Lotus day has spurred me on! As usual the spare wheel holder doesn't fit so will have to make a new one!post-17315-0-60780200-1431271489.jpg

Does anyone have measurements and a picture of the wood strip that runs under the roof just above the front windscreen, that the sunvisor trim screws into. I don't have this on my car, but apparently the trim is screwed into it, so may have to bond a new piece in. Dimensions would also be a great help. Thanks.