Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 44 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

2 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Does anyone know the correct order for the bolts and washers that secure the seat beltbsalks in? Thanks.

Isn't there a picture of them in the workshop or parts manual? I'm sure I've seen it somewhere.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Does anyone know the nut size for the sun visor metal arm? Finished the whole thing but cant fit it because Im missing the nut for the sun visor brackets. Could it be 1/4 BSF? 

Its taking too long! So going to make headliner for clock later. Just putting it all together now! 

Also because the clock has antiquated electronics which drain the battery am going to replace the electronics so that the power consumption is minimal.

this car will be epic. I love your attention to detail and it will be a benchmark for my restoraton, if I ever get it started. :)

It's getting there......

I've found that when you think you've finished there are an endless stream of things you need to fix e.g. I'm still chasing a water leak :(

One thing that I have noticed, the orange carpet is almost exactly the same colour as the PRESS sticker in the seat belt stalks. You can buy the press stickers on Ebay in orange. This might help someone doing a Tartan car in the future and trying to source the carpet. Maybe tgats where the idea for orange came from?

The pile of the replacement orange carpet is a lot deeper than the original carpet ever was. So in terms of originality it's not really that close in my humble opinion. Automotive carpet never has a deep pile to it and the stuff in my car is more like bedroom carpet but having said that I'm happy with it :)

I found an orange carpet on eBay which was pretty much spot on but didn't order it there and then but when I finally got around to it the company had gone out of business - lesson learned!!

I couldn't find the correct shade of orange vinyl anywhere and I believe Steve Fulcher dyes his to get the correct colour.

Bought my carpet from Steve, you're right it has a deep pile. S and J are now selling orange carpet and tartan. The tartan Steve has is original and  has other threads within the cloth so it is suitable for automative use. Similar tartans that approximate to the pattern are not suitable for seats as they will not wear. As you know, there's a lot of work cutting, then edging and making the vinyl covers which are dyed to match. In fact the trim is a big job, especially if you have to make and repair all of the panels! 

Will start the clock modification in the next few weeks. Lots of modern parts very cheap on ebay. Will Go for a battery backup and modern low power LED display which will adapt to fit the original casing, fun electronics project! Will have to get some motivation from somewhere to make the headliner, had enough of fiberglasssing for the moment.

Well after a lot of debate onthe tyres thread, will be fitting these tyres.image.jpg.75924e1a34b4566f745f9674f8f81b

If anyne would like to get the Fasten belts light working its quite easy. The light comes on by earthing it, the same as most of the other lights. The obvious place to get an earth wire is the choke switch earth. The driver seat belt stalk is just a switch to earth from the fasten belt wire that goes to the Veglia display. The connector for the stalk loom is available from autosparks. I had to fit all the wiring for it as it was missed in the loom. Heres a picture of the switched stalk.image.jpg.d8501c275f19d6e51efd29af36d4cd

CLOCK's

Well anyone who has a clock thats not working or needs upgrading this might help. The original parts are obsolete, use too much current and theres no battery backup. I had bought some components and was going to soldier them together witha few mods. The only problem the original Led display is smaller than the one I had. Whilst searching for a display of the same size I stumbled across the ideal solution, a ready made clock display with two year back up for £8 on amazon. They're on ebay but then you have to pay import charges. image.jpg.d526eec34fe2fdcf713a1bc3e9c0f6image.jpg.959dd84f61d1e5b8df3f1461729526image.jpg.692d5e358f79aef4946a047f41db89

Will mount inside the case and job done. No more battery draining or resetting!