Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 47 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

Could make clear using  the tinted ones for  a pattern the problem is the enormous cost. USA or India probaly a lot cheaper, or maybe China. Trouble is Ill have hundreds of quater windows to sell!

Mix of clear and tinted would not look very good!

I'll have a pair!! Only 2990 to get rid of now :)

Is it possible to un-tint glass? Is it just a coating on the outside of the glass that could be polished off or does it run through the glass itself?

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Im sure Steve at S and J has had a quote for clear manufacturing and decided its a no go?

Will look into Giorgios find, although the glass looks tinted. Maybe Lotus Bits can help.

Yes it's stupid money as I said for my rear glass it would have cost me £6,000 and I'd have ended up with a large number of screens that I didn't want. The tooling was £3,000 on its own.

If Lotus bits can't help try PNM as he has a number of containers full of spares.

Yep will try Pete and John  at PMN. They saved me with the steering lock and ignition switch. I searched for three months before they came up with one and a key! At least you would of had a lot of spares! Stone chips no problem! Wonder how many quater glasses I'd get for £6K? Who quoted you?

I can't remember who it was to be honest I got their contact details from Pilkingtons. You could also try Matt to see if he knows of anybody?

Called him earlier he can't help. I have a few details of companies I can try as a last resort. Asked tony K if he knows a supplier in the states. They are far better at  bespoke and custom bits than we are. What was the name if that parts supplier over there that does the door bushes?

JAE

You could try SportsCarWorld as well - if they're still going?

I've never had any luck getting stuff out of PNM.

Giorgio - Jon said SJ sell the tinted ones? Looks like it's only the RH one though. Guessing you need the LH!!

1 hour ago, Lotusfab said:

Mmm its the left I need in clear. 

Someone needs to write a manual for the car thats accurate!

Jon have you got the part number? Thanks.

According to the parts manual the LH quarter glass in clear is A079U4017F and tinted is A079U4027F

I've often wondered what happens if your car gets damaged and you make an insurance claim but the thing which is damaged is unobtainable. I'm guessing there's a get out clause for the insurance company which says tough and they pay you 10p or something equally ridiculous.

As an absolute last resort should not be able to fabricate new glass. May have to scan an intact window to get a 3D CAD design. Can then produce the glass using a CNC machine, which is available in the USA. It won't be cheap, but I might then have some to sell? I'm still hoping someone reading this will save the day, as they have so far.

If you can't find one you could always buy the tinted one off SJ to use as a pattern then take it to a scrap yard and walk around checking the cars they have with clear glass to find a profile that matches. Buy the door glass and take it to a glass cutting place and have them cut you one out of it without damaging it!!

The profile on the door window of a KA looks to have the right amount of curve in it to me. There must be something close out there.

It needs to be toughened (not laminated) glass and all modern cars have toughened side & rear glass.