Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 50 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

Great stuff Paul !

Also it would be easier to change the fluids ?

Matt

The more the merrier :yes:

Glove box

Does anyone know how it was originally fixed. i have the new S and J glovebox, it appears to have 3 holes at the top and four on the bottom. It was either riveted or bolted to the crossmember and some how connected to the dash on the lower part?

Three small philips head screws with nyloc nuts at the back on the top and the bottom ones secure the glovebox to the lower front part of the dashboard.  Definitely not riveted. 

I think so, but fitted now so impossible to tell. Whatever size holes are in your crossmember.

The glovebox fits behind the crossmember - you can see my additional fusebox for the relays to headlamps, windows and fans plus my new USB charger here B-)

IMG_7048.jpg.2b96d82a411c080cbd9e0f370fe

Thanks Jon for going to the effort of taking a picture much appreciated.Didn't have a clue how it went! Like the USB charger, thats a great place.

Do the lower screws have the nyloc nut on the inside of the glove box, if so can you see the Philips heads on the bottom of the dash?

Does the card fit inside of the dash shell on the lower part? My glove box has the fuses at the side and isn't very strong. The lid is trimmed perfectly but the closing is awful. Any tips?

thanks.

My two original fuseboxes are still on the right hand side of the glovebox card. The card is not fixed to anything so it does move about. Lower nylocs are inside the glovebox - you cannot see the philips head screws unless you are lying in the footwell! They should be black anyway.  Do you have the 'Tutch-Latch' on your glovebox ? The very, very early cars never had one, mine does and its very 'touchy' to operate. Just part of the S1 mystique I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Thanks Jon for going to the effort of taking a picture much appreciated.Didn't have a clue how it went! Like the USB charger, thats a great place.

Do the lower screws have the nyloc nut on the inside of the glove box, if so can you see the Philips heads on the bottom of the dash?

Does the card fit inside of the dash shell on the lower part? My glove box has the fuses at the side and isn't very strong. The lid is trimmed perfectly but the closing is awful. Any tips?

thanks.

15 hours ago, jonroberts said:

I think so, but fitted now so impossible to tell. Whatever size holes are in your crossmember.

The glovebox fits behind the crossmember - you can see my additional fusebox for the relays to headlamps, windows and fans plus my new USB charger here B-)

IMG_7048.jpg.2b96d82a411c080cbd9e0f370fe

I'm pretty sure they were M5. The holes in the SJ glove box didn't line up with my cross member and I fitted the original in the end.

I like your idea of labeling the fuse box covers Jon with what's what - I'm going to steal that idea!

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

There should be 3 holes top and bottom. I had difficulty finding the 3 holes in the bottom edge of the dash but they're there, just covered by the green material now! Be very careful when you cut holes in that green material or it will snag - ask me how I know ;)

Thanks Paul have found them! Does the glovebox lip bend down or up at the front? The glovebox quality is not very good! Cound strengthen with fiberglass, but just want to finish the job!image.jpeg.b5441456611ec6f29842651a59616

the pictures inverted, IT problem!

In the picture the glovebox lip bends up to the dash, is this correct? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Lotusfab said:

Thanks Paul have found them! Does the glovebox lip bend down or up at the front? The glovebox quality is not very good! Cound strengthen with fiberglass, but just want to finish the job!image.jpeg.b5441456611ec6f29842651a59616

the pictures inverted, IT problem!

In the picture the glovebox lip bends up to the dash, is this correct? Thanks.

The glovebox is s**t! Not sure what you mean by the 'lip'? My lid is flat.

Where the lower part of the glove box joins the dash, with the three pan head screws, the end of the glovebox can be bent up or down then bolted to the dash. In the diagram the lip is bent upward. Which way is correct? Thanks.

Yes it is but by the time you actually fit it and connect all the wires it will strengthen it up. The one from SJ was actually a different shape to the original.

He used to do a fibreglass one and when I bought mine that's what I expected to receive but instead I got the mill-board type. A fibreglass one would probably have been better but I put the original back in the end. The opposite end to the fuses on the SJ one was saggy and didn't fit properly, even after I trimmed it to the correct shape. That side has no support and the holes are too far away to offer any kind of support, plus there's a cutout in that area which doesn't help.

Which front bumper have you got fitted to your car? When I first saw it it had the front bumper painted red. Have you stripped it, or re-painted it, or replaced it with a fibreglass copy?