Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 51 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

Glove box

having trouble posting pictures at present. Can't really fault the Glove Box quality, as its the only one available, so you have to make it work. I have now fibreglassed the area around the fuse boxes. The glove box is pretty resonanable now it fibreglassed. Just have to wait for the pan head screws to arrive so I can fit it all together! 

I used a piece of wood and screws to straighten the cardboard whilst I fibreglassed the fuse area. It bonded really well and has formed a rigid base for  the fuse boxes. Will post some pictures once I solve the IT issues.

Glove box sorted by fibreglassing the fuse box end. More pictures to come when fully installed. Seems to be more than strong enough now.image.jpeg.4a5b08dc01fc9231356d38ca9d988image.jpeg.48ac961ec6e65186948e7a7371475image.jpeg.0db9e1f59da26a081a096aa2a6865

Fuse list from manual, all fuses 35 amp or another mistake in the manual?

Still not sure how the glovebox should fit because it's not the original. The upper lip seems to fit best bent upward and the lower lip bent downwards, so no screws are visible inside?????? 

2 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Glove box sorted by fibreglassing the fuse box end. More pictures to come when fully installed. Seems to be more than strong enough now.image.jpeg.4a5b08dc01fc9231356d38ca9d988image.jpeg.48ac961ec6e65186948e7a7371475image.jpeg.0db9e1f59da26a081a096aa2a6865

Fuse list from manual, all fuses 35 amp or another mistake in the manual?

All fuses are indeed the same rating. My fuse box layout is per the diagram - I see yours is one on top of each other. No wonder the card is weak - there's nothing of it left after the cutouts. 

Jon, do the ends of your glovebox both bend inwards? So on the upper lip you can hold the nylon nut and put the pan head screws through the crossmember all from inside the glove box? Also on the lower lip the nyloc nuts can also be accessed  from inside the glove box? Thanks. ( With the glove  box I have I may have to devise a bespoke solution.).

1 hour ago, Lotusfab said:

Jon, do the ends of your glovebox both bend inwards? So on the upper lip you can hold the nylon nut and put the pan head screws through the crossmember all from inside the glove box? Also on the lower lip the nyloc nuts can also be accessed  from inside the glove box? Thanks. ( With the glove  box I have I may have to devise a bespoke solution.).

Not quite clear what you mean. The pan head screws at the top (x3) enter the crossmember and go through the cardboard of the glovebox. The nyloc nuts are difficult to locate and secure - you have to work blind, by feel with a nut driver holding the nut at the back and screwdriver on the front to do them up. Does that make sense?   Maybe I should have mentioned that the glovebox is fitted before the dashboard goes on. But to answer your question, yes the sides can bend inwards but it weakens the card if you keep doing it.

1 hour ago, Lotusfab said:

Yep it's not ideal! I have some mill board and could make another one but now it's fibreglassed it's very strong. Is this a picture of the original glove box?image.jpeg.58ca61476f0f82a68b99f48dd0d35

That pic looks like a LHD glovebox, but yes, thats it.

image.jpeg.c833daf3d16481e9308e4c85c2c7a

Jon, the design of my glovebox means I can bend the lips either way so the nyloc nuts are either inside or outside of the glovebox. Which option is correct? Think Paul has the lower nyloc inside of the glove box, I'm guessing the upper ones are outside and so difficult to get to?

Haha - like one of those trick pictures you see on the Internet!  None of the above match mine.  My car is closest to type C but the top of the glovebox is behind the crossmember (like B but with the lip facing north).  

Well I have searched the country for a clear passenger side quarter glass. The one's I thought were available were all tinted, so there's no choice but to get Pilkington to make one. They have offered to make moulds for both sides at a token tooling fee to build their inventory, so in the future if anyone needs one they will be available. They have set up a new division to manufacture bespoke glass for classic cars.  In the mean time if anyone anywhere reading this has a clear Dot 17 - M30- AS2  quater glass that would be a massive help?☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️ 

Just a thought, but have you considered looking at other cars from the era for similar curvatures? I assume it's only curved in the one plane?

Maybe you could source something slightly larger and have it ground to size?

Good luck

Thanks for the thought, yep only curved in one plane, but wouldn't have a clue where to start looking.

Never thought I would own a car where you can't buy the glass off the shelf!

These S1s never seem to give in , nearly got this one beat - I hope!

Glovebox in. Both lips bend upwards as Jon and Paul said. Here's some pictures.image.jpeg.abcd0c42efa6762da9634c654eeaaimage.jpeg.f7d9ce2ebf18b84fbfb85b9d359aa

It's essential to fibreglass the fuse area otherwise it will not be strong enough. Best to put the upper pan head screws in before the dash, I did it the otherway around and it's a bit tricky!

image.jpeg.837f47e9354a20a16f477c226160f

5 hours ago, DaveyT said:

Just a thought, but have you considered looking at other cars from the era for similar curvatures? I assume it's only curved in the one plane?

Maybe you could source something slightly larger and have it ground to size?

Good luck

I had this conversation with somebody but don't think you can cut toughened glass without it shattering?

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

4 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Anyone need a new glovebox latch? £1.99 in Wickes, Christmas has come again!image.jpeg.16d773f0b135a93635270e2b78681

Glad that worked for you. I bought a replacement from B&Q and it was utter rubbish quality. Ended up putting the original Tutch-Latch back in.