Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 54 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

Wipers

found the original wiper and fitted it. The system works, why? There is less resistance of the wiper on the screen. After a close inspection the new wiper I had was a slightly different design to the original. Wouldn't of thought this would make much different, but on my car it does. Refitting original wiper after a clean up. The lower arm is the original thinner with the pivot points slightly different!image.thumb.jpeg.a715761f112e7f6239cec2b

Window motors. The brushes are 6 MM x 6 MM wire side entry. Wire end entry would probably work with careful fitting. I bought new generic brushes, however on closer inspection there is ample wear. The main problem with my motors seems to be dirt, grease and hard grease. I used brake cleaner to clean them and electrical contact cleaner. Will reassemble with new waterproof grease. Seems these have not been touched since the seventies! Good design, they don't make em like this anymore!

to disassemble follow the pics, but be careful when you take the window arm off its sprung loaded and is designed like a mouse trap - except it catches thumbs!!! It's got both of mine so far! This is it before taking to pieces.image.thumb.jpeg.8bc5b390ed87af73baa8571image.thumb.jpeg.3b3ed65cd51bd69ff54a9bb

1. Unbolt the four bolts holding the bracket.

2. Remove the three bolts in the picture.

3. Get some thick gloves before pulling the arm off!?????????image.thumb.jpeg.7c6997bebe89d713035c619

You get left with this and the motor. Take the three long bolts out if the Delco motor. Pull it apart carefully so you don't rip the brush wire off the casing! No more pics till I get some more allowance! 

Clean it all with brake cleaner. Scrape out the commutator. Clean up the copper plates. Re- grease with waterproof grease. Hopefully job done.

image.thumb.jpeg.8dee3ad688f109b7727bedeimage.thumb.jpeg.09aeeadc36174bd92a0e136image.thumb.jpeg.581248ec5fdab0748a276bdimage.thumb.jpeg.0993adaa73d5d427652eea1image.thumb.jpeg.adfb14373473dbdcbad0b17

It's amazing thus still worked with the amount of dirt and grease. Note the negative brush is soldered to the case! They are pretty good condition after cleaning and nearly forty years old!

Other side cleaned with electrical cleaner, the one from the picture. The grease was so hard had to cut it out with a blade, almost like plastic. This was jamming the gear wheel.image.thumb.jpeg.acda3cb4a3fde4d0c036b5c

• Like 1

Disclaimer, I'm not an expert on motors - but after a bit of research have decided to use waterproof grease for the gears and electric motor and turbine oil for the rotor. There's an American three in one electric motor oil, but can wait weeks for it to arrive. Having thought about it, I would not use brake dust cleaner as I am unsure what it formulation is and how it affects electrical circuits. The electrical cleaner works just as well and is designed for the purpose.Bought four cans from eBay. Then used compressed air to blow the dirt out after using the cleaner. Now just need to put it all back together.

Now to get that wiper motor out, as I'm still not happy with it!

Good news all Esprit S1 owners. I have now dropped off two Sundym quater Windows to Pilkington UK who are going to take moulds. They will then be able to make laminated safety glass copies in clear for both sides. It's a big concern and Pilkington Automotive are building their database of classic car windows. They have been making them there since the 1950s. They can make anything! On the way about 8 miles out I can recommend Mickeys Dinner for breakfast, it's a 50 s style themed dinner. I enjoyed the Elvis fry up! Expect to get my glass back in Aprill. The general manager is Nick Gardiner, if anyone needs some glass made.image.jpeg.4fa6efc36ecfb95bbedf89de7b9f1

image.jpeg.836ebfdd3194475d3152f3b51b934Good news all Esprit S1 owners. I have now dropped off two Sundym quater Windows to Pilkington UK who are going to take moulds. They will then be able to make laminated safety glass copies in clear for both sides. It's a big concern and Pilkington Automotive are building their database of classic car windows. They have been making them there since the 1950s. They can make anything! On the way about 8 miles out I can recommend Mickeys Dinner for breakfast, it's a 50 s style themed dinner. I enjoyed the Elvis fry up! Expect to get my glass back in Aprill. The general manager is Nick Gardiner, if anyone needs some glass made.image.jpeg.4fa6efc36ecfb95bbedf89de7b9f1

Window motor

one repaired works well. Crucial to have the end float nut correctly adjusted! Cleaning the coiled spring with a razor and regreasing has a big effect with the correct oil on the armature. The whole thing is so mush better! Now for the wiper.image.thumb.jpeg.e4fd10e0dac7c579a08395a

image.thumb.jpeg.cf4ea781891ef761b6cdd21In my opinion too much grease in the picture, least resistance with a film, so wiped some off. 

Door seal

the seal was correct it should be compressed, the excess due to my pot technique. Now sorted and installed.

You have to gather the seal, make an oval and press it down all the way round the door!

image.thumb.jpeg.6d4e92a71190a1d11fd4981

Choke problems. The choke switch was missing the top so had to buy a new one. Also the choke lever had no resistance because the startol ring and pivot were worn out. Had to buy them from S and J. The corrugated ring is the startol ring. The lever should have a notched feel and hold its position against the force of the choke cable. The plastic switch ipokes through the lever hole. When the lever is down the switch is pressed and the choke 

light goes out.

image.thumb.jpeg.2940f48c11ca590164a4c37

For anyone thinking of refurbishing  the Delco window lift motors I have now replaced the brushes. Could not find the correct size so bought 8 MM x 6 MM wire side entry brushes. They are carbon, pretty cheap and easy to file to the correct size. I joined the copper braid to the braid on the motor positive terminal. For the negative cut a small slit in the case and soldered the copper braid to it. When the bolts are on it contacts the case. All works well now it's clean and back together. A cheap job overall. Just the wiper motor to do. 

Finally completed all of the wiring for clock and stereo and got some seats fixed, now just need to get the quater window back and put image.thumb.jpeg.7e152e6a4783db777959f59the doors back together for MOT attempt no1!

All that work on your choke and you'll probably never use it :(

I've started mine in all weathers and never used it once. A couple of pumps on the gas and it'll fire right up.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

finishing this car is like wading through treacle, it's very slow. Nothing on this car worked properly so a I have had to rebuild everything! Only one more wire  to install and the electrics are complete including the clock and stereo. It's the brake servo lead. An easy job. The clock works well and comes on with the ignition, I wired it via the flasher unit. Just need to get the window back and get the MOT. 

There is also a rubber handle which goes over the handbrake. Other than that, looking good :)

I'll have to convince Jon to come on a road trip and we'll come down and see you and your car. Mine is now not wetting the bed overnight :thumbsup: But I still haven't got any door cards and daren't open the passenger window (or it won't shut again) hahaha

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

I have the handbrake grip, but have decided not to fit it. Think it looks better without it.

Just took the headlight lift motor to pieces again. Re-cleaned the commutator and armature with the electrical cleaner. Oiled the shafts with electrical motor oil and regreased. About a 30percent improvement in speed! Just need to do the other one. Oiling the gear shaft made a big improvement. Wiper motor had the same treatment. Now works quite smoothly, probably as good as it can on a dry screen.