Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 55 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

I saw that Steve Fulcher has just finished re-trimming a white S1 in tartan/green/orange AND it has a clock inbetween the sun visors. Does it belong to anybody we know?

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Headlights.

Anyone having trouble with these this might help. I had a pod that randomly would either stay down or up . You spin the pod motor manually slightly and the pod would move again. The problem was the switch in the pod. Its very simple just a common power wire and copper strip. When the gear wheel rotates( only in one direction) a cam on the wheel pushes the contact up and breaks the circuit. Over time the copper strip has bent and fails to remake contact when the cam travels away. You can run the motor with the cover plate off and watch the contacts. You can see easily when they are not working. Solution, bend the strip and clean the contacts. There are a lot of complicated explanations. By far the easiest way to sort this problem is to run the motor with the switching cover off and just enough screws to hold the switch in position while the cam operates. 

My project now is out if my hands theres nothing I can do until I get the glass back from Pilkington and the door cards and seats from Steve Fulcher.

10 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Paul, not on Facebook. Probably my car on there. Does the clock say Yeager?

No. It's not your car because he's done the whole car.

Bored with not having the glass to reassemble the doors I decided to remove and service the wiper motor. Not easy to get at lying upside down in the all too familiar Lotus position. I' m glad I did. The motor was in poor condition with hardened grease, the end float nut too tight and one of the brushes completely Brocken on the base plate. Don't understand how the two motor speeds seem to work?image.thumb.png.71704c340b3b09913166d117

image.thumb.jpeg.0e31f31b3fe166f7d7031fdimage.thumb.jpeg.bb3ca3bb2365fd6cf7520faimage.thumb.jpeg.67e52251e5d94e183daec91

The schematic is spot on except for the small ball bearing and fibre washer at the bottom of the armature. These require engineering oil. I used a pipe cleaner and electrical contact cleaner to remove all the grease. If the end float nut is too tight it seriously reduces the motor performance. I ordered new brushes and base plate from Auto electrical spares. This motor is 16W, the new base plate will require some adjustment. There's a wavy washer on the gear wheel shaft.

Hi Dan,

yep the third middle brush had broke away from the base plate. Should have only had one motor speed, but there seemed to be two speeds when selected?

2 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

The schematic is spot on except for the small ball bearing and fibre washer at the bottom of the armature. These require engineering oil. I used a pipe cleaner and electrical contact cleaner to remove all the grease. If the end float nut is too tight it seriously reduces the motor performance. I ordered new brushes and base plate from Auto electrical spares. This motor is 16W, the new base plate will require some adjustment. There's a wavy washer on the gear wheel shaft.

Hi Dan,

yep the third middle brush had broke away from the base plate. Should have only had one motor speed, but there seemed to be two speeds when selected?

May of been getting current possibly from carbon deposit build up off the third worn brush, you would be suprized how a current can travel/track over the worn residue :)

A

Has anyone ever taken their wiper motor to pieces? Can't find any pictures on here but think their should be a plastic guide for the drive arm within th3 motor case, like this one? The Lotus motor is unusual as it is16W. All the rest are 14W.image.thumb.png.a95e61b58e1591394cab610e

You can see the white plastic guide on the left in the picture. I believe to be missing this part, might explain a lot!

9 hours ago, Mark Gurney said:

If you guys had a spare $5,760.00 you could of also got the ultimate luggage for your S1. 
The Asprey cases from The Spy Who Love Me that they load into the boot, Lot 942 - 
http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2015/ringo-starr-barbara-bach/results.html

Wow, looking through that list I bet they'd never had so much tat for sale in one room! e.g.

Lot 341      TWO PAINTED PLASTER CHERUBS              $256.00

Very tasteful. I'm sure they'll look lovely on somebody's mantle piece. Just goes to show... the bigger your house, the more s**t you collect!!

And what about...

Lot 696        RINGO STARR #1 LUDWIG DRUM KIT          $2,110,000.00

$2.1m!!!! Somebody must obviously be a fan. When asked if Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world John Lennon replied "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles" hahaha

I'm sure he's laughing all the way to the bank :)

5 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

Wow, looking through that list I bet they'd never had so much tat for sale in one room! e.g.

Lot 341      TWO PAINTED PLASTER CHERUBS              $256.00

Very tasteful. I'm sure they'll look lovely on somebody's mantle piece. Just goes to show... the bigger your house, the more s**t you collect!!

And what about...

Lot 696        RINGO STARR #1 LUDWIG DRUM KIT          $2,110,000.00

$2.1m!!!! Somebody must obviously be a fan. When asked if Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world John Lennon replied "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles" hahaha

I'm sure he's laughing all the way to the bank :)

I looked at all of the lots last year; there were a few interesting items for Beatles fans but also a load of old tut on offer. 
Nice Asprey luggage but went for more than I expected....it only got 22 secs screen time :-) 

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.3b37d3de67f773333df46632Found this wiring circuit. It appears from my motor the only adjustment to the park position is by moving the wiper on the spline of the wheel box.

The circuit shows when the wiper switch is off it connects power to the motor through the switch. The cam on the gear wheel opens the switch contact and cuts the power off as the wiper parks, if only it worked!

Well have had a good look at the wiper armature. It is black and appears to have oxidised as a result of overheat damage. So am currently trying to source another one. The problem is its 16W. This is unusual. The 16 W motor was used on some other cars such as the triumph TR7 and Stag. Also the reliant Scimitar. It's a case of waiting or rewinding the armature. The original brush plate has also fallen to pieces due to the overheat damage. You can buy remanufactured motors but they are only 14 W. Will post the solution.

The wiper motor in my Esprit looks the same as the one in my Daughter's 1976 Mini. Not sure if they are actually the same though?