Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 72 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

IMG_1618.thumb.PNG.88aae7a676006c78816fb562a53a7da8.PNG

Best running engine is max power output, max vacuum. You adjust the mixture to achieve max vacuum. This does ignore emissions but when there's no backfiring my car seems to pass no problem. It's running the best ever after my last tuneup. Havnt worked out why the tuning goes out even though the car has hardly been used?

• Like 1

http://www.espritfactfile.com/carbbalancing.html

Yes it is by Tim. I'll have to give it a go and maybe it will get rid of my low rpm stumble...

Have you checked your idle screws? If so, how many turn out is each one?

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

The mixture screws started at 6 1/2 turns then I adjusted from there, not much though. Try the engine at higher rpm to ensure the vacuum is still balanced. If it isnt start again.

According to Tim they're usually around 3 to 3.5 turns out and I've noticed that mine are like yours, 6 turns or more. I wonder if the jets are no longer correct for modern fuel?

Mine also needs to be 6 turns out or a bit more to run smoothly. CO is less than 2% and HC is less than 200ppm at that setting on my car. I also have 55L idle jets in there.  Balance needs to be set with the CarbTune in my opionion. I think it's a combination of modern fuel and Dellorto has two types of idle mixture screws, fine and coarse. I suspect the 3.5 turn instruction might be referring to the coarse pitch. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have tested the car today and after extensive cleaning she's ready for international lotus day! 5 , 4 , 3 , 2 , 1.......well it is a bit like thunderbirds! IMG_1121.thumb.PNG.4df55a7f775ac8229f64d9fa867b6dde.PNG

Looking sharp :)

It really is a fantastic shape in profile. It's no wonder Giugiaro was named as the most influential car designer of the 20th century.

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Like 1

Doors seals

I thought that this may be of use to some people who intend to replace the door seals. Most of the parts on this car are new and the door seals are no exception. Like all things Lotus it took months to get the doors to hang just right. In the end they were totally rebuilt to include new door pins and bushes. It even included a trip to S and J sports cars with the door beam ,new bushes ,old bushes and my micrometer to prove the new bushes didn't fit because the originals were imperial  not metric. Steve then made me some imperial ones and updated his website. Eventually I got the doors to fit perfectly using shims and a lot of time and effort. I then replaced the door seals with new ones and you guessd it the door catches were far too tight and messed up the door shut, why???????

Heres my theory, firstly when you come to fit the door seal the perimeter of the seal is greater than that of the door, why? I believe the rubber will shrink so it has to be bigger. Its a pig to install you have to loop the seal out all around the frame and hammer it in with a mallet untill all the slack it taken up. You must shave the carpet back exactly the correct amount so the seal is not thrown away from true. If you dont it will lean towards the door and make closing of the door dificult. The original seals fit much better as they are compressed already. The new seals compress also but it takes time. I had to move the catches out and I havn't been happy with the doors being slightly proud. Now the seals have started to compress I have noticed there is slack in the adjustment. I can now move the catches in and repeat the process until the doors are flush. You need the grip mesh behind the door catches as they will slip and damage the paint. If you try to make them fit flush immediately they probably will slip and ruin your paint job! Ps you can buy new seals from Lotus, but they aren't cheap! I would stick with the originals if they are still serviceable and thats true of all the parts. Originals fit much better. Hope this helps. The picture is before I put the new seals in!IMG_1697.thumb.JPG.f14dc5b91bbd79e6d9020af6526a2c2a.JPG

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Paul Coleman said:

Looking sharp :)

It really is a fantastic shape in profile. It's no wonder Giugiaro was named as the most influential car designer of the 20th century.

Hi Paul agreed the wedge design way ahead of its time and looking modern forty years later! I hope you dont sell, you will be missed on here! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The whole po8ntbof this resto was to copy the James Bond spy who Loved Me car. Having just seen the original in the Deezer Collection I’m happy to report the interior on my S1 is uncanny, it’s near as dam it identical. The folding of the Tartan and stitching are all spot on, but then Steve Fulchers dad did the car and a Steve used the original Tartan and patterns when he did mine. I’m very pleased though! 2309C906-214D-4AA6-83F8-867E0FD536CE.thumb.jpeg.140d4722de26845300fb1b884ce908bf.jpegB1BE1D61-02A3-4AF9-8032-CFA60B534784.thumb.jpeg.ab704a34bb628f01e168290299ce0a49.jpegE087E55C-1638-41D8-A5E5-090D39B88E4D.thumb.jpeg.3c93d2ad65956b55cb757c849e24e606.jpeg

• Like 2

you need to lose that gear knob if you want to be authentic.

Always seems such a shame to me that cars like that will never be driven again.

:) 

• Like 1

It's getting there......