Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 75 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

Hi Gary - you'd better post some pics of the panel plus your car.

We love Pictures here

Chris

PS - have I mentioned some pictures?

58 minutes ago, gary allason said:

Hi...I have that very car SOS instrument panel and it certainly is impressive...although the Mustang one knocks spots off it in my opinion.

Hi Gary, welcome to the Lotus Forums. I'm so pleased they fixed up the S1 for you. I hope your enjoying driving it. Its a great privilege to own an S1. Im especially jealous of your instrument panel!  I think it a fantastic addition to the car. Hope you bring it along to some Lotus events. I built 1/2 of the one in this blog some years back and have been in my garage for the last 4.5 years trying to build the FYEO Turbo Esprit with skis(on the other blog of mine here). It must be brilliant to get such a big suprise of a fully restored car. I really enjoyed watching the show and I' m really pleased they picked you. Thanks for posting on here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gary allason said:

Hi...I have that very car SOS instrument panel and it certainly is impressive...although the Mustang one knocks spots off it in my opinion.

Nooooo!!! That's amazballs. 

Can I have your instrument panel, please (I asked first)?

Mustangs are for girls.

Sudders and Dany

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, gary allason said:

Gary welcome, emotional episode as always pictures are required as Chris says, how is the car? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I now have about 6.5 years experience with these cars and have spent almost everyday reading, researching or rebuilding something. It will be good to revisit the S1 and go over it again with a fresh pair of eyes and a lot more knowledge!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gave the S1 a shakedown yesterday. It drives really nicely, as I set the suspension up myself using a hunter align(see earlier). I have noticed some misfiring as low rpm. I think the jets need cleaning so I plan the take the  carbs apart use Seafoam cleaner and my Ultrasonic cleaner to breakdown and remove varnish. It will then need a full tune. I also plan to tackle the door seal problem. They have never closed fully. Never get rid of the original door seaIs unless you really have to. The new ones are the wrong profile and the rubber is too stiff. Even if you get them to close I believe the loading on the catch will be excessive. I am 90 per cent sure the seals I have been made incorrectly.I believe they are far too long and cramming the excess material into the aperture has made them incompressible. I have a new one from a different supplier so will check the length.

I have done about 800 miles since I built this car. It always starts and has been totally reliable. It has made me realise I will have to set up the Turbo suspension, as the ride on this is so good in comparison. Its been 4.5 years since I did any major work on this car, so its time for TLC. 
I am very pleased with the Turbo. Once the suspension is set up, it will be totally sorted, with absolutely nothing left to do. Anyone who has worked on these knows that is a real achievement for one of these cars, as it takes so much time, effort and money to get to that stage!

• Like 1

Here you can see the door closure isn’t perfect. I am also changing the wheel centres back to the origials. These ones here were aftermarket and the shape is wrong.EF255CFA-E687-42B2-BA71-1D0555572928.thumb.jpeg.ca81603a2b1c645ab0902fc92e4c14ba.jpeg

I wish someone had told me not to get rid of the original door seals.The doors shut perfectly before I switched them, at a cost of £140!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So finally got to the reason the new door seals don’t work. The replacement seal is 29 mm thick with the rubber tube at 15 mm. The original is 25 mm with the tube part at 12 mm. Its annoying how so many replacement parts are rubbish . So only two options, have the correct ones remade or find an existing one that fits. 

Sure will get a solution and numbers. The reason the replacement seals don’t work properly is nit only the size Discrepancies but the actual profile is all wrong. There is a lip on the original that sits away from the U channel so it does not resist compression when the door is closed. The replacements I have the lip is moulded to the  U channel which increases the thickness of it and fouls the door when you add the bead thickness to it. I have some drawings and I hope the company already had the profile, they have hundreds already! . If they do it will be really cheap. 

Well it already seems there is enough Interest. The original seal is unlike any I have seen on the market. It has an outer lip which  on most seals is in a different place On the moulding. The production dept of the company I have found are looking into it, so fingers crossed it can be replicated at a sensible price.