Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation - Page 9 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car - part 2 - the continuation

Went back to using the Dinitrol nozzel much neater and cleaner. 

I did warn you ! 

My rear screen was pretty badly misshapen at the bottom. The lower section 'bulged' upwards a good few mm and I had to move the spacers inwards from their normal position so that it didn't protrude higher than the surrounding bodywork.  I imagine this was related more to the condition of my rear screen. The new front one fitted perfectly all round.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yep you did! Have tried the trims on the rear, should be able to get it looking Good with a little bit of bending! Think a better job could have been achieved by not using the service bulletin! Still front one to do tomorrow - with the Dinitrol nozzel!

Early esprits had LOTUS and no badge, latterly they had the badge and ESPRIT. The Bond car has LOTUS for example.

When I resprayed mine I opted for a combination. just cos I could!

Not sure when it changed then. I thought it was just a Bond thing they did for advertising?

My car is the 30th ever and it had Esprit and badge on the front.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Still cleaning the front screen, it was very dirty with residual glue everywhere. The electrics are all tested and complete except the thermostatic control for the fans. Have ordered a Kenlowe controller. Seem to have lost quite a few parts during the endless spraying clean ups. Need two lucas switches for the dash, a wiper switch( have one broken and one that has an extra wire and different connector but looks the same. May try and make one good one from the bits. Also need to dismantle headlight lift motor and confirm the gear is partially shredded. Have lost one heater slide control rubber and the two heater clips! Fortunately S and J seem to be able to help with quite a lot of the bits. Found a Lucas switch on ebay, hoping its the correct type! If anyone has any tips for putting the front screen in and installing the trims, it will be gratefully accepted.

Have finally cleaned front windscreen. Spent most of today bending, filing and fitting the tailgate trims. Finally up to standard just need to get more suction tools for fixing, as Jon says there's not enough in the kit. If anyone needs extra switches found some Lucas ones on ebay. There are still some left.

You can just about see the spindle is bent. Looks much worse on reality. Lotus bits next stop. Got wiper switch off ebay for £10. Have unwrapped doors for first time. They are going to need a lot of work! Have made a plan to convert the vent system. Y join needed to feed the extra demist vent. Got the demist grills from Paul Matty off an Elan 2 plus 2. Then sprayed them with Nextel. Hopefully felt and front screen trim tomorrow.

It's only the very end shown in the picture that is bent, hard to believe the amount of force required to do this is enormous! Yep the glass makes a lot of difference, not just a load of bits anymore.

Do you have a picture of your door shell where the rear of the window frame fixes in with two small bolts ? When I refitted mine I noticed that (I think) that some of the fiberglass is missing. Just want to confirm the shape if possible. Thanks.

Hi Jon, the doors are wrapped in the shed an fully assembled. Will get them out tomorrow and take a photo for you. Have to take them apart as they are quite grubby!

• Like 1

Do you have a picture of your door shell where the rear of the window frame fixes in with two small bolts ? When I refitted mine I noticed that (I think) that some of the fiberglass is missing. Just want to confirm the shape if possible. Thanks.

Yes it does look as though there's a chunk of the door shell missing in that area. Mine's like it too.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Hi Jon, think mine might be different can only find one bolt.post-17315-0-66818400-1427097103.jpgpost-17315-0-63458600-1427097124.jpgpost-17315-0-19081200-1427097145.jpg a single small bolt is the only bolt from the frame thru the fiberglass. If you need any more pictures I'll take some more.

So the area I ringed on your first photo is where mine has a second frame bolt.  Anyway, your shell gives me a good idea what it should look like - mine has some broken fiberglass at the top.

post-3309-0-20231100-1427111290.jpg

Hi Jon, went and did another photo. There is another screw hole the screw is missing, here a better picture.post-17315-0-04883500-1427113261.jpg

Just putting some from in. Why is a gap left around the lower felt?

What stops water getting in thru the seatbelt bolt, should there be a grommet?post-17315-0-63948900-1427113465.jpg

Just putting some from in. Why is a gap left around the lower felt?

What stops water getting in thru the seatbelt bolt, should there be a grommet?attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I don't understand your first question ??  

No grommet on mine in that area, though I'm not sure how much water would penetrate there anyway.

I hate IPads! Meant felt. Just glued in front screen trims the way Jon suggested, with IDASA glue that I used for waistline trim. Have now spent another day adjusting the rear trims. Here's a picture before gluing them down. Waiting for extra clamps.post-17315-0-30182100-1427126819.jpgpost-17315-0-60209200-1427126840.jpg if a small clamp doesn't work, go bigger!

Front screen done, rebuilding demist system. Requires bespoke vents and parts. Have moulded new demist vent out of fiberglass.post-17315-0-70216000-1427193699.jpg

post-17315-0-01029300-1427193848.jpgpost-17315-0-41443000-1427193873.jpgdash conversion to early S1 almost complete!