Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Ron Simons Interview - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Ron Simons Interview

Yes I got the impression that most people show up there and want to drive the McLaren, GTR and GT3 - whatever's got the most horsepower but they end up enjoying the Exige 240S or 211 the most!

PDK did make driving on the left very easy. It makes everything very easy but I've only just got the hang of heel and toe, it would be a shame to have to give it up so soon!

It was great in the 211 watching Ron's feet dance on the pedals too - a great skill that will be gone by the time my son's driving.

Cheers Diego,

I was surprised to hear how robust the Toyota boxes were on the Exiges, most people seem to moan about them! Given the abuse they receive at RSR they must be hard as nails!

I agree with Ron that the Exige V6, out of the box is not "pointy" enough ! It does taks hours of try outs to find a good set up and even then it still is difficult....

Regarding the vid I see that Ron is not really concentrated on the track or provoking understeer with early apex entry and not using the whole track..... would have loved to see a fast lap, try out. 

Of course the radillion is a 4th gear corner with this car, that's clear. 

A good heel-and-toe gearchange is a visceral experience....guaranteed to provoke a grin!! Faster isn't always more fun or more involving.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Although it may not have been at the limit, though looked fast to me, it did show the benefits of being smooth and controlled with inputs. Try as I might, at my own limit I become more ragged and lose speed whereas Ron could effortlessly take this up three levels and be even faster.

Very nice job, Jonny.

Nice interview, indeed.

This year I did a lap of the Nordschleife with him. I was driving my own car with him by my side. He was giving me input on turning points, gears, etc. His way of giving feedback was extremely good (including loud voice and fingers open indicating what gear I should use into each corner and where to look at coming our of the bends). He even prevented me from turning the steering wheel at some point as I was doing a "too early" entry... At my level, it was quite eye-opening for me in terms of progress in my driving skills. Definitively worth it.

@ Jonny: I just missed his entry into the " Lotus in & out" competition. Something for next time. :harhar:   Keep the good ideas coming, please. :thumbup:

Excellent article and enjoyable video (though I'm no judge of that!) But after the text reading: "you can hear for yourself what he thought about the V6 Cup" I was disappointed not to hear anything apart from some brief sounds exchanged under the ambient noise - expected a conversation after parking up.  Is it my ears, my sound system? Or is there a transcript? Or was it edited out?  Unrepeatable?!

Ron's feedback on the V6 cup is right at the end of the video while going back down the pitlane though our helmets, so not great audio I grant you but it sounded pretty clear at home, try with the speakers up a bit. If you still have no joy I'll post up a transcript in case anyone else has the same prob.

A transcript of Ron's thoughts on the V6 Cup, for anyone who's having trouble hearing the audio.

TP: So, how does this car compare to your V6?

RS: It’s still a heavy car but the speed coming out of the turn, it’s a bit of a combination of the power of a GT3 and the handling of a small Lotus.

TP: Compared to the V6, how do you feel they’ve done with the Cup version?

RS: Ah, this feels much more... I would say I could compare this, I think then, with the difference betweent the 240S and the 260 Cup.

TP: OK interesting. Does it feel a bit lighter at all?

RS: Yeah, everything is directer and it’s closer to you and everything. But I know that the standard V6S is as quick as the 260 Cup when you have the right track for it, when you have the V6 and it’s long and you can play that power… but… that means that this one is way above the level of the 260 Cup of course. But when you go to Zolder – a small, little track, I think that the 260 Cup still is showing quite well.

TP: But the understeer you don’t like on the V6, is it better in this?

RS: Yeah it’s way better, it’s way better because it responds if you lift off a little, it works the rear end and it’s absolutely… it did not show on the road but it absolutely shows now.
  • Like 2

Thought I'd post a bit more from the interview if anyone's interested. It would appear that there were a lot more issues with the early 991 GT3 than just the engine fires!

How’s the McLaren MP412-C?

RS: Compared to the 458, the speed it’s a level up. But the sound is a level down! What I really respect with McLaren is that they are absolutely there for you when you have a problem. They really look after you. The same with Porsche. The first 991 GT3s were like having an Italian car! Loads of stupid stuff went wrong. But all our cars have the recalled engines and they have always helped get the cars working again.

Do you have any new cars coming to join the fleet?

RS: We have 3 new Alfa 4C’s on order. I can sum it up very easily for you - it feels like a small 458.