Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brakes!? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brakes!?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats another job on the SE I want to do.

On the later cars the brakes are assisted by ABS pump / accumulator so they dont need a vac tube.

Not sure what the rating of the mechanical one is on the old car as far as vacuum pressure but I would have thought all you needed to do was to match that with an electrical one and go from there.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

The pump came loose while I was going down hill. It has happend 3 times to me, so I want to replace the pump.

Jonathan:

How would I find out the ressure on the pump?

Guy

Hi, May i ask why you want to??? Is there any benefit between electric and mechanical or is it that your mechanical one is playing up? cheers chris

Vacuum Gauge :)

Or there should be a regulator somewhere with a setting - replacement electric pumps usually have a dial in setting as well so they work only when needed, maintaining the negative pressure - instead of churning away all the time.

Pretty expensive though - I'd try and have the original fixed 1st.

The problem is that the bolts constantly come loose and I just cannot get my hands inand around the pump.

If I wanted to look at these electric pumps were would I go look?

Guy

Vacuum Gauge :)

Or there should be a regulator somewhere with a setting - replacement electric pumps usually have a dial in setting as well so they work only when needed, maintaining the negative pressure - instead of churning away all the time.

Pretty expensive though - I'd try and have the original fixed 1st.

You might try some OEM applications. Ask around @ your local parts stores and dealers for other makes. Removing the pump and its belt will have the advantage of freeing up horsepower and gas mileage. Let us know what you find. Meanwhile we'll keep looking. Cheers,Lee

Another solution would be to eliminate the vacuum system in favor of a manual one. I did it on my 85 w/ a inexpensive, smaller bore cylinder, but I have removed 700lbs from my car. A more expensive, very safe conversion could be had by contacting Tilton Brakes and configuring a dual master cylinder setup w/ a balance bar. Keeping in mind all your brakes do for you, it may be $$ well spent.

Edited by Esprit Aviation

Dual master is something I was considering for the SE at some point, I do like nice and simple.

I think I have removed all the Vacuum services on my car apart from the brakes :)

It's a distant job though so if anyone gets around to it I'd love to hear about what was done !

I have a tilton on my Shelby Cobra it sucks ASS!!!

I found to elctric pumps first link:

http://ecihotrodbrakes.com/remote_booster.html

Second

http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/produc...+Kits&year=

AM I looking in the right spot?

Guy

You might try some OEM applications. Ask around @ your local parts stores and dealers for other makes. Removing the pump and its belt will have the advantage of freeing up horsepower and gas mileage. Let us know what you find. Meanwhile we'll keep looking. Cheers,Lee

Another solution would be to eliminate the vacuum system in favor of a manual one. I did it on my 85 w/ a inexpensive, smaller bore cylinder, but I have removed 700lbs from my car. A more expensive, very safe conversion could be had by contacting Tilton Brakes and configuring a dual master cylinder setup w/ a balance bar. Keeping in mind all your brakes do for you, it may be $$ well spent.

The system was already in place when we got it. The problem is that the master cylinder are mounted above my feet so every time I goto clutch or brake my feet will hit the cylinders.

The tilton system is all adjustable by turning the screw in or out to apply pressure to front or rear. This is grat except it is mounted right next to my headers, witch makes it impossible to adjust.

Guy

Curious to know why the Tilton on your Cobra is so bad. did you consult w/ them, or was the system already in place? I have no personal experience w/ them, Lee