Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Properly drove my car last night - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Properly drove my car last night

Neal H

Part of the "problem" with the evora is that it does normal car stuff so well you kinda forget it can do the lotus thing too.  This is in complete contrast to my old VX220 which never let you forget it was designed for twisty stuff ! 

Must have been the night for it - my disappointment at the A3 / M25 junction and then the A3 being closed soon turned to euphoria with a fantastic and almost deserted A31 to Winchester - my word the car is fast and I like to think the supercharger does give it that little bit more out of the corners.... Very bumpy road in places but handles it so well. Big smile :D   

Live in my part of Scotland and even a trip to Tesco or wherever is like that!  A daily event so you don't forget. :sofa::thumbsup:  SWMBO frequently says how come it took you so long to go for whatever it was.  Have you been out round the track again?  The "track" being my own version of the Evo Mags Triangle but locally.  Stupid but sheepish grin giving it away.  I even have it framed like a race track on my office wall, thanks to designer son.  Funniest time was when Porker Boxster S owning mate/neighbour saw me starting it once and gave chase.  Back at the house he opened front boot to get out tin of white emulsion he had just nipped out for - and found a new set of carpets in order not to mention having to go for more paint.......

Actually joking apart when I first get home from 4 weeks offshore I have to play myself back into the cars performance. I can actually start to feel car sick (driving it) if I give it the beans down some B roads and particularly under heavy braking. Great isn't it? 

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Same for me in that I use it as a DD all the time and its only hoons where I really 'give it some' and those brakes have saved me from at least one trip into an Oxfordshire field! As with most fast driving, once up to speed its about bravery and skill as much as anything. I hoon with a guy who drives a diesel MINI convertible and I can just about keep up with him thanks mostly to my straight line speed! God I need to go out for a drive right now!!!

I had a similar drive early sunday morning across the Cotswolds to the PH sunday Service at Silverstone, there asre some great roads between my place and Silverstone especially of you skirt around Banbury.

The road between Alderton and Stow on the Wold via Ford is fantastic especially the bendy hill rising up from Toddington, 2nd and rd gear at the top end of the rev range with tyres and brakes nicely warm.  The car is so easy to balance on the throttle, so eager to turn in and so good at putting the power down early.  I love this hill on the B4077.  Pic from street view -

post-17000-0-04038300-1413983964.jpg

Then Stow to Banbury via avoiding Chipping Norton is also great.

I had to do some overtaking, at one point a Ferrari F430 (spoke to the owner at PHSS)  I reckon that the width of the rather lovely Ferrari would make it slower on the roads that I drove to Silverstone

post-17000-0-52838400-1413982662.jpg

My car is also an n/a car

I have an NA, use it as a DD again on Oxfordshire roads and totally agree with all the above, they really are great cars. You can really push them on and they never stop providing enjoyment. Test driven an S and V6 Exige and agree the NA does so much of what they do in terms of fun I am not sure they are worth the extra money, even if the delta to an S is £10k it still buys a lot of coke and hookers (if you are into that sort of thing!)...

C43

oh and reading above thread about the sunday service at Silverstone the road between chippy and banbury is about the best in the area and plenty of places to overtake. I work in Banbury and drink in Chippy so know that road very well.

C43

My route was pick up the B4030 at Bicester and follow it through Middleton Stoney, Lower Heyford, cross the A4260 and continue on the B4030 through Middle Barton to Enstone and picked up the B4022 towards Charlbury - marvellous!

Oxfordshire does have some great roads, but I've found most of them have been strangled by 50mph limits. Fortunately, the B4030 hasn't yet suffered this fate.

isn't the national speed limit 60 on single carriageways anyway...hardly much difference.

occasionally I may touch 61, downhill, allegedly...

construction and property consultants : My company

See; I really should learn to drive the car with Sports Mode turned off...

That said, the car is truly brilliant. Like Donkey, I had a VX; at no point can you 'relax'. Everything is full power, or no power, purely because its designed that way. My manual box is still taking some time to get used to, but lets face it.. Its better to drive it like its meant to be and never like it shouldnt be, that then other way around :D

Albeit my MPG/wallet begs to differ....

Must be the sports ratio on mine then; the best i've gotten is 31mpg, and that was driving like a saint. Just one 'decent' pullaway and I drop down to 28 in a heartbeat! Make it two pull aways, and i'm back down to 26!

I feel like i'm driving an S, just without the perks! :D

My first two N/A's had the standard box and even on long runs I doubt I saw much above 30mpg even on long hauls 110 miles up the dual carriageways to Aberdeen at 80mph.  Most of the time in the higher 20's.

Next one had the CR box but still N/A and everything dropped about 2-3mpg across the board.

Present one is the S and I'm happy to hit 25 on a tankful but frequently see it in low 20's.  On the long haul run to Aberdeen driven at the same speed it gets about 28 but drops like a stone if you come off the cruise control in traffic and if giving it the beans on A& B Road blasts it is single figures easily.

But it is fun and you are along time dead I figure.  I don't have (many) other vices :harhar:

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

That's interesting. Late 30's mpg for me is regular on my 126 mile run to Manchester. The first 10 miles is B road fun.

Mind you I have always been light on brakes etc too. Maybe it's my driving style. I am not going to state the dopes I reached on the run to Silverstone but many of the B roads were done in 2 nd and 3rd gears at upper end of the rev range

Is that the mpg read out or a calculated figure you are quoting?  From day one I have never managed to understand what the mpg distance to refresh is, but not long for sure.  (numerous old posts on the subject somewhere) I have twice run to London area & back in the Evoras from central Scotland in long runs and say the mpg manages to get to 30mpg and you have driven like a granny for 500 miles then you only have to give it some stick for about 5 miles tops and the mpg plummets which isn't obviously true over that distance.  I tend to work on what I'm actually getting over a tankful which then usually means mixed motoring.  Also as it is a toy and 2nd car with me working offshore I rarely drive it like a granny especially with the roads round our way. :thumbsup:  :driving:

I think the two thread are related - anything above 20 MPG is not properly driving the car!

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower!