Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Getting started on my Excel Resto - Page 3 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Getting started on my Excel Resto

One thing I'm not modifying on my elite is the interior. Me, like Chapman love the styling so much, every, knob, switch and lever that I have gone to extensive length to bring it back to originality. I did a 6 hour round trip to sourch a complete interior, with the entire dash crammed into a Z4 passenger seat! The design is so bloody cool and absolutely epitamises a 70s interior imho.

20150117_165227_zpsj4dmbnow.jpg

• Like 2

your early S1-Layout is different to the following. So perhaps it makes sense to do it so.

My focus is more on the handling, than the view... so each to its own ;-)

Edited by Don.Hasi

Now there is something ticking in the back of the empty head.... Yes, there was something with this Giugiaro story. The Esprit has had then the "styled by Giugiaro" sticker although only the interior was from him finally, wasn't it? And for the 4 seater the trick was the same without the sticker, right?

So, now we know whom to "blame" ;-) of course the marketing strategy behind it, was absolutely right... The result.... Errrr...not.

Thank you Mark, for bringing back the story. With the A pillars this is totaly new for me :)

Don, Guigiaro designed the Esprit. He also designed the interior of the Elite/Eclat, while Oliver Winterbottom designed the body. I believe that Winterbottom was given an unrealistically tight deadline to submit designs for the interior, whereupon Guigiaro was given the job. I also understand that Winterbottom's concept for the interior included something like the Rover SD1 dash with a cabin width shelf upon which the instrument binnacle was to have been mounted - so not entirely unlike the Allegro mentioned earlier!

I think I also read that delays in supplying the bright window surround trims (including the A pillar) was a major factor in the delay in launching the Elite.

ATB Richard

Edited by rjwooll

I put the interior of my Elite back in, with new carpet set, over the weekend.  I think it is fab to look at.  Ergonomic nonsense, but fab.

Just like the brightwork on the windscreen - I love that.  It wasn't that odd, of course,  NSU Ro80s have something similar.

For me, these are the things that make an Excel uninteresting.  All the design magic is gone by '84, in my eyes, however much more competent the car was.

• Like 1

Thank you Mark, for bringing back the story. With the A pillars this is totaly new for me :)

My factory insider also sent me an email from one of the engineers involved in the car's development. He said, 40 years later, the words "Elite A pillar trims" still send shudders down the spines of various retired personnel :wallbash:

They were blow moulded from aluminium tubes in water tanks using an explosive charge, by a company that normally made artificial limbs! The defect rate was horrendous apparently. How that manufacturing process was arrived at we can only wonder.

Anyhow we have well and truly derailed Kimbers' restoration thread here, sorry your worship! :getmecoat:

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Well, from the horses mouth you are all slightly wrong.

GG designed the original Elite interior. The one that was all brown suede, so none of these pics is correct :P The suede was a nighmare to both fit and clean/maintain so that disappeared quite quickly. Of course the layout changed almost daily from one production run to another so even though the basic facia is the same extra switches would come and go, blanks would appear etc etc.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

very good Story :)

But some day someone has generally decided to switch from Charlies early S1 layout to mine which was also introduced in the later S1 as well and was also 2 years on the Excel later on...

Interesting: IIRC the warning lamps on ours are from the Rover SD1, so a bit back to Mr. Winterbottoms first idea? :)

Now Kimbers: how far is your Excel project by now?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So Gerald tells me my list of work may have got longer :(

- Needs a new Clutch so it's engine out time, Full Cambelt service while at it.

- Wheel Bearing

- New Steering Joint

- only one part of exhaust needs doing (bonus)

- No elecs working in drivers door

- Rev counter non op

- Brakes need reconditioning (not replacing)

Then you can add in all the work from my original list! Can't wait to get her back though.

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Door beam has rotted and taken everything with it I think. Nothing works and the lock fell inside the door the first time I unlocked it.

My Excel goes up on Thursday for some more fettling.

• My dipped beam failed one evening - Gerald reckons it's the Dim Dip - which he is going to bypass.
  • The driver's door mirror has gone all floppy. Duck tape has come in useful :)
  • Drivers door handle is loose - I have a replacement
  • Replace the clock.
  • My fans are also on most of the time.

I had the drivers door beam and window frame replaced last time, and will have the passenger door beam/frame done next year.

Very nice to drive through

Chris

Yeah, looking forward to driving her. Can't wait to take the Mrs out for a spin!

FECK! Lol.

Chris, I thought I'd have it back now, been there 2 weeks, but still there. Am trying not to hassle Gerald but I may give him a call Monday just to see how she's going.

There is mate. He told me that when he collected her.

Saw it on the ramp last Thurs on way to Silverstone.

Engine was on a hoist and the clutch was in.

Must be getting a bit closer to completion now, fingers crossed.

chipp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So She's back and we took her out for a spin on Sunday. Excel%20and%20Dad_zpschh6ke7b.jpg Runs like a dream, as the old man says the engine feels brand new (Which it virtually is). List of work done by GST is extensive but includes: Replace Clutch Assembly Engine out Full service: Replace Manifold Gaskets, Cam belt and tensioner bearing, replace all belts, replace engine mounting, replace pipes. Brake pipes Steering Column lower joint New piece in Exhaust Wiring cooling fans from manual switch to correct temp controlled unit replace dash to correct wood trim Refurb brake calipers replace seals on Master Cylinder fix window motor assembly including rebuilding motor gearbox and Diff oils Refurb Carbs and reset Distrubutor gaps redone and a few more things...... Not done as yet. Rev counter inop, n/s Window motor, Electric mirrors inop, n/s and o/s Door beams rotten and door frames starting to go, central locking inop, new radio required. All of the things not done can be done when the doors get stripped to replace the door beams (Which I am having fabricated by one of Dads old Engineers). If anyone has an old one they can lend me so I can get Dad to draw up the plans to get them fabricated I would appreciate it.

Yeah, he was a lot cooler than me with no A/C in my car! though not because he was wearing pink!