Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Elite coolant - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Elite coolant

cdfps

Richard, Yeah that is my car.  

I "restored" it a couple years ago.  I say restored in the quotes because reliability and maintenance were my goals not originality.  For instance I pulled the entire electrical system and made my own.

Funny part is, the distributor was a vac retard federal spec unit that I had a pertronix fitted to which I recently replaced with a vac advance point unit that had an ancient condenser from the dark lord.  I suppose one could replace the whole dizzy with a Lucas k2f and really drop the reliability down a notch or two.

I'll put the pertronix back in as the car sits 6 months out of the year, but I remember it didn't fit and I had so do some kind of trimming or drilling or something to make it work, and at least with points you always get home.

Best,

Ross

and its heavier, which makes it more stable in a cross wind..."

is this what we have been missing out on?

Exactly !! their design philosophy was to just add heaviness.

:thumbsup:

Oh and they didn't have to hire any design engineers as they always copied the big 3 and subsequently, they were ALWAYS 10 years behind everyone else.

This also caused them to change their name from Rambler to American Motors. Very cleaver idea don't you think?

Edited by Elite 4.9

Of course there are the handles...Hmmm.

post-15035-0-31061700-1440467924.jpg

Full disclosure, I actually like Gremlins though for totally different reasons than why I like Elites.

Harris Mann (BL stylist who did the Marina ego Lotus handles) was told to copy the US door handles as they looked cool. I still think they do, no matter what the great unwashed think.

Shape wise the can car is just "generic 70s cool car", though I'm fairly sure the Elite figured on a few UK motor products packaging in the early 70s, and thus on garage shelves for many years after

amx3-clay-version.jpg

PS your car looks bloody fantastic

In the garage no-one can hear you scream