Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Anyone Tracked a 220 Cup Yet? Tyre Pressures - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Anyone Tracked a 220 Cup Yet? Tyre Pressures

There is always one pounding around at the B&C Goodwood days but I've never seen anyone checking the tyres! I think they just run the recommended road pressures. Not heard anyone complain about the car's handling yet, including the instructors who've driven it.

As usual I was the only person at Goodwood taking pressure out of my tyres! But after the first session they were way over 40psi at the rear! The car was transformed afterwards. Perhaps it's less important on the Elise carrying less weight on narrower tyres?

Yes, I rarely see anyone checking. On the Exige I drop to 30psi all round after the sighting laps, take an easy 10/15 minute session then drop again, repeat a few times. Very common to see over 40psi on early sessions on a hot day. The biggest wear culprit early days was ballooning in the center before I adopted this process. The Elise is probably a lot different, I'll do the same but with road pressures to start and keep an eye on temps.

Chris Randall showed me how to use a probe to make sure the heat was even across the tyres and how to adjust the pressures accordingly based on those readings (when I was desperately trying to get more life out of a set). Generally I find with the Exige this means about 30psi all round, depending on track a couple less on the front.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Yes, I rarely see anyone checking. On the Exige I drop to 30psi all round after the sighting laps, take an easy 10/15 minute session then drop again, repeat a few times. Very common to see over 40psi on early sessions on a hot day. The biggest wear culprit early days was ballooning in the center before I adopted this process. The Elise is probably a lot different, I'll do the same but with road pressures to start and keep an eye on temps.

Chris Randall showed me how to use a probe to make sure the heat was even across the tyres and how to adjust the pressures accordingly based on those readings (when I was desperately trying to get more life out of a set). Generally I find with the Exige this means about 30psi all round, depending on track a couple less on the front.

Tom with the exige I start with about 20psi all round, tyres very quickly come up to about 28/30 psi and stay there. Last trackday I disd160 miles around blyton with zero tyre issues (apart from a bit of wear)

But remember that tyre pressures are influence dramatically by driving style/car weight /geometry spring rates/ track surface.

By all means give me a shout if you need and help with what seems to work on track 

Edited by Seriouslylotus
spellin

Aim for 27/28 hot as a start point and use the tyre pyrometer to work from there.  Initially I would go with something like 20/22 cold but you may find the cold pressures end up lower than that... depends on weather, track temp, surface, how much 'oppo' etc etc 

• Like 1

Aim for 27/28 hot as a start point and use the tyre pyrometer to work from there.  Initially I would go with something like 20/22 cold but you may find the cold pressures end up lower than that... depends on weather, track temp, surface, how much 'oppo' etc etc 

Thanks Chris. Will start with that and post back what we end up with after checking temps. 

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com