Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
0014C - Page 2 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

0014C

JPohja

Outch! That is meaning I cannot lift my Elite with this lift. Arms are not capable to reach steel chassis.

Ok, got to make some extra arrangements, plates or wood bars. Yes, I am lifting from 4 points.

Good to know!

See if anyone says anything different but better safe than sorry in my opinion. Spreading weight by any means will reduce likelihood of damage.

Good luck - keep us posted.

By the way - check out my recent purchase - we have very similar interiors. Mine is from 76 but I notice that your car has additional vents in the dash, by the doors. Were these only fitted to cars with Air con? Mine doesn't have them :(

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Maybe, mine has aircon. Working one :) Picture in my owners manual shows those vents so has aircon model's their own manuals?

Got to look your project.

Is there any internet source to purchase mufflers to Elite, I am not sure to handle speaking with LotusBits boys..

40 minutes ago, Dunc said:

Dont jack on the body!!!!! even if the manual did say that. I did and have two cracks which appeared above the wheels. Always Jack on the underside of the metal chassis on wooden or rubber blocks.

If you jack on the chassis, where would you place the jack stands?  Again on the metal chassis somewhere, front and back?

26 minutes ago, JPohja said:

Maybe, mine has aircon. Working one :) Picture in my owners manual shows those vents so has aircon model's their own manuals?

Got to look your project.

Is there any internet source to purchase mufflers to Elite, I am not sure to handle speaking with LotusBits boys..

Always happy to help if you ever come to the UK - I'm not a million miles from Harwich (by Boat) or Norwich (by air from Schipoll) Imagining you getting through airport security with an exhaust makes me smile! Sorry :) Let me know either way.

Jack from the front with a scissor jack with an extra long handle. There are two locating holes for the lug on the standard jack in the front part of the chassis if you look rearwards from the front ant roll bar outriggers.

at the rear I usually use a trolley jack ont he diff, but in an emegency would use the scissfor jack near the front mount of the rear trailing arm.

Cups are polished aluminium as standard,

• Like 1

I took some pics from lifting points shown in OM. There are vertical cracks in both sides (small). How bad it looks? Not very bad to me.

Now on stands but I need to have her higher when changind exhaust pipes. It's very difficult to have extra crossmember made for lifting only. And then it would be on wrong place thinking exhaust muffler.

Stands and cracks:

WP_20151118_13_28_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20151118_13_29_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20151118_13_29_40_Pro.jpg

WP_20151118_13_30_17_Pro.jpg

Bigger pics here: http://harrasteet.1g.fi/kuvat/Lotus+Elite+503+1974/Bottom/WP_20151118_13_29_13_Pro.jpg

Thanks, oilmagnet477 (Ant)

I thought i still have one, stainless steal,

i first must take a look inside my garage, i will be there this weekend, so keep you up to date,

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

In the right side of trunk there is cover for battery but should there be civer in left side too? Mine do not have. Does some one have picture of that cover?

I changed front wheel bearings and took exhaust pipes and mufflers out. First job to Elite :) there it starts. Center silencer was ok altought I first thought its corroted and leaking. 

Back part of steel frame is not as good as I tought. Need to clean it a bit for MOT.

jukka

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Unusually Xmas weather here in Finland, +9 C. Not good for winter sports but good for Elite driving :) WP_20151222_14_48_57_Pro.jpg.d7f5c9a6ae8WP_20151222_15_58_14_Pro.jpg.56856cf40bb

Altough some problems, after drive idling little time and smoke coming under bonnet. Camshaft seals are leaking badly and oil is getting to exhaust. So I have to change those seals, are there any instructions how to do it? Or what not to do? Are there timing marks in camsaft axels or gears? In any case I have to renew timing belt and water pump.

• Like 1

Jukka, have a dig around on here for cam belt change tips - plenty of advice in the past.

I think the general rule with S1 (Non-HC cams) is to apply some sort of bonding goo (Hermatite Blue?) to the gasket on both sides to ensure a really good seal. Important to make sure both surfaces are really clean.

Car looking good - Good luck

PS - the weather is officially bonkers - I can't believe I'm gonna have to cut the grass after Christmas!

Hi,

Started to take a part front of engine to change timing belt and camsaft seals. Thermostat seems to be reason for fans working all the time. Jammed.

Is this how camsafts timing should be?

WP_20151226_15_40_17_Pro.jpg.8dbafa30000

WP_20151226_15_40_26_Pro.jpg.1d3f9a3d27f

How to lock cranksaft's pulley when opening bolt? No place for locking device or any there.

You should buy a Workshop manual for all these works.

SJ is a good address for buying online. He delivers also very good and quick international. Lotusbits is always a good address too, but they dont have a shopsystem and they are very busy. So have to wait some time. Both have good upgrade parts as well, which you should also consider.

Good point Don. I have already but for S2. I think most of things are same than in S1 but dont know for sure.

Just ordered bunch of things from SJ. Good service and nice to be in touch.