Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Photos of SE Glassback Tailgate? - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Photos of SE Glassback Tailgate?

GrantTuscan

Hi

I'm wanting to fit an SE Glassback tailgate to a V8 in the hope of reducing drag. Does anyone have any pics they could e-mail showing the tailgate in detail (engine cover, bulk head etc).

Just wondering how it all goes together and if fitting the SE tailgate might create any cooling issues?

Thanks

Grant

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I'm wanting to fit an SE Glassback tailgate to a V8 in the hope of reducing drag. Does anyone have any pics they could e-mail showing the tailgate in detail (engine cover, bulk head etc).

Just wondering how it all goes together and if fitting the SE tailgate might create any cooling issues?

Thanks

Grant

The SE hatch has a slot 'neath the glass to evacuate hot air, but adding a rounded back like that can actually increase rear lift - necessitating a functional spoiler.

I would suggest that the glass fastback is likely to retain heat as well. The V8 tunnel back has two louvered holes that vent directly into the atmosphere. Hot air exiting the glass fastback has to do a sort of s-shaped series of bends before it vents to the atmosphere. Maybe enlarging the radiator or doing assist to the waterpump (in-line electric pump?) might negate this issue.

Hi

Thanks

Grant

Hi Grant,

This is the only pic I've got to hand at the moment but have got some more which I can post tomorrow.

esprit_rear_700.jpg

As perviously mentioned there is a fair gap at the rear where all the hot air exits. Don't know about the drag aspect but it does stop water running on to the top of the engine, well at least until you open it and it all runs down in to the boot :huh: .

As promised a further pic inside the engine bay showing apeture in the tail gate where the vents in the engine cover fit through (see Dan's pic below).

se_engine.jpg

Martyn B)

Edited by martynv

I'm doing the opposite, putting a V8 deck on an SE.

It's extremely similar, should be a bolt off / bolt on job (not tried mine yet but I'm not expecting any problems).

As for cooling issues, probably not as I would have thought that little gap at the end of the glass acts like a little venturi to pull air up over the engine. I wouldn't have thought there is much in the way of aircooling where it is anyways...

Unless anyone can correct me I can't think of anything significant in the engine bay air flow designs from the SE to the SE High Wing which was the cross over, and there's no difference I can think of between the SE high wing deck and a V8 deck.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk