Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Stromberg CD 175 or SU HD8 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Stromberg CD 175 or SU HD8

Due to some water in the gas issues with another of my cars, I had to rebuilda pair of SU HD8 carbs.

I have another set of HD8's that are OK or could be rebuilt which got me thinking.

I was wondering if anyone had ever put these on a 907 and if so are they a good choice. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ross,

I've never heard of using SUs on a 907 engine, but they do have a reputation as being better than Strombergs. I believe the Strombergs were used to meet US air quality regulations, but I guess they can be set up as you choose (as can the SUs).

It would be an interesting project!

Richard

I may try it then.  I don't have a manifold so I will have to make adapters and open up the manifold a bit.

I won't be getting to it until spring at the earliest.

Thanks,

Hi Ross

You might want to check that the SU's will fit under the bonnet. I think they are taller than the SU's and there's not much clearance as standard.

Strombergs can work really well with a few adjustments and they're a bit more advanced than the early SU's.

To get the strombergs working really well,  try the needles and ignition timing used on the Stromberg equipped Saabs. (99 and 900) European version. Use vacuum advance and ATF or 3 in 1 in the dampers. (not engine oil).  The later 912 distributor with vac advance may work fine

Should give you good economy around town and some serious kick from 1/2 throttle onwards.

Saab 99 needle - B1DS            Standard springs    ( the B1DS is almost virtually identical to the B1DH until about half way, thereon the saab needle carries on getting richer and the Lotus needle levels out). 

Timing - 16 degrees at idle    11 degrees mech advance    Total 27 Degrees        15 degrees vacuum advance (ported)