Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
How do I know if esprit is HC? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

How do I know if esprit is HC?

86esprits3

Hello

I have searched the forum for an answer, and I have not come up with anything.

I own a 1986 lotus esprit, and was wondering if the engine is HC. The decals that I have seen on some cars that say HCI on the side have been removed by previous owners.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark , the second character on the engine number (stamped R/H rear of block above the starter) should either be an A (for HighComp) or P (HighComp/Air Conditioning)

Also the valve covers, inlet diffuser and carb plenum should all be bright red (like a Ferrari Testarossas) :D

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Hello

I have searched the forum for an answer, and I have not come up with anything.

I own a 1986 lotus esprit, and was wondering if the engine is HC. The decals that I have seen on some cars that say HCI on the side have been removed by previous owners.

I could be wrong here, but isn't the HC motor easily identified because it's got red cam carrier covers, plennum, etc...? While non HC motors are black?

The HC turbo didn't preview until October '86 so its a pretty firm bet if the date code part on the engine number indicates a build before then, then its not a HC. There must be very few about since production of the Stephens cars followed on the next summer.

Malc Holmes

www.espritism.com

Clay, the Federal spec HC engines all were in fact HCI (fuel injected)

If yours is carburetted (as per a normal Federal 83 Turbo) it might be that someone has installed a HCI engine but retained the Carburettors.

The block number signifies its a HC block at least. :D

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Clay, the Federal spec HC engines all were in fact HCI (fuel injected)

If yours is carburetted (as per a normal Federal 83 Turbo) it might be that someone has installed a HCI engine but retained the Carburettors.

The block number signifies its a HC block at least. :D

Thanks Wayne :lol:

• 2 weeks later...