Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Loose Door Hinge Drivers Door - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Loose Door Hinge Drivers Door

I'm beginning to get into some of the issues with the Esprit. One that really bugs me is the door is hanging low and the hinge has a bit of looseness. The black door center strip is 5/8" lower than the quarter panel strip. I did some inspecting and the top of the hinge pin is not turning in the bushing but in the actual bracket/plate that is bolted to the door pillar. The bracket (blue arrow) has all the movement in it NOT the bushing below the bracket (red Arrow).

Is it normal for any play in the bracket or does it need to be removed and welded or replaced. 

02b55a09-09be-41e0-98df-8bb756d8af24_zpsjvi0aedv (2).JPG

Edited by jcslocum

Jon - 1984 Esprit Turbo

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had exactly the same issue on both doors. I am in the process of stripping them down and replacing the bushes. My pins had rusted into the bushes hence it was turning where you indicate. Also my lower bracket was loose. Oh and bushes had rusted into the door beam so lots of plus gas / heat gun and a drift to get them out.

Taking them to pieces not too bad. I stripped everything out of the door then slid it off the beam to allow me to get to the pivot bolts / bushes. Not sure how putting them back together is, I will let you know...

BTW does anyone have a good method for setting the high of the door? I was thinking of closing the door then tightening the pivot bracket mounting bolts from the inside??

cheers

C43

I'll be following this thread and would love to stay informed on the fix.  Please keep the pictures coming! I've got the exact same problem in my drivers side S2 (0127S). 

Thanks for posting Jon!

Shenton 

you could just try WD40 / Plus Gas for a week or so and see if this frees it up. Either way if the door is dropping on the hinges you are going to be into a bit of an epic. I stripped the whole door down as I wanted to take the chance to get a load of trim re painted and the electric mirrors working again. You can take the door off by undoing the bolts from the inside the brackets but it will be heavy and the risk of damage is there.

C43