Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dreaded ABS light on! - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Dreaded ABS light on!

Any help much appreciated!!!

Here's the symptoms.........

From ignition on and starting the ABS light stays on - If I drive the car the brakes are as good as ever, but with no ABS (obviously!). If I stop and fill up with fuel say and then start and drive I notice that the light is out and the ABS works. If I pump the break pedal with engine off and ignition on, I can hear the pump run after taking my foot off the pedal after one or two pumps. I have done no investigation work myself yet, I thought I would ask here, just incase someone knows the answer or what area the fault is likely to reside.

Many thanks in advance,

Phil

98GT3

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar thing on my S4 but it cleared itself after a good run out , I would suspect it is a sensor and I am going to have mine checked at the next service.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

My 99 GT3 has this same problem. Mine started after the battery going dead and being replaced. The engine management light was also on but managed to reset that ok. I was wondering whether the ABS computer needed resetting in a similar way. Sometimes when I do a long journey, it will go off after a time.

Adam

1999 Lotus Esprit GT3

1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1 1600 though will be an 1800Ti upon completion (Currently in bits all over the garage and has been since 2004)

Any help much appreciated!!!

Here's the symptoms.........

From ignition on and starting the ABS light stays on - If I drive the car the brakes are as good as ever, but with no ABS (obviously!). If I stop and fill up with fuel say and then start and drive I notice that the light is out and the ABS works. If I pump the break pedal with engine off and ignition on, I can hear the pump run after taking my foot off the pedal after one or two pumps. I have done no investigation work myself yet, I thought I would ask here, just incase someone knows the answer or what area the fault is likely to reside.

Many thanks in advance,

Phil

98GT3

Hi Phil

Probaly your pressure switch,uprated switch has grey moulding old one black,trouble is they do seem to be becoming a bit like hens teeth to get hold of,we need to source a supply of these switches as they do seem to be starting to become a problem for alot of owners............any thoughts anyone??

Cheers

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

Hi Phil

Probaly your pressure switch,uprated switch has grey moulding old one black,trouble is they do seem to be becoming a bit like hens teeth to get hold of,we need to source a supply of these switches as they do seem to be starting to become a problem for alot of owners............any thoughts anyone??

Cheers

Nick S4s

I have spent 2 years with the problem.

The pump going on after releasing the pedal should mean that the reservoir is defect ( You can find it at Jaguar or GM ) See cross ref list LEF !!!

I had min exchanged but I still have ABS problems. Now I am waiting to receve my switch from the states, I guess in February I will be able to tell ( My TT is blinking after the system gets hot / warm).

ONE BIG THING : If you know anyone with a reader, let him read your error-codes, without switching off the engine. That reading should be fairly accurate as to what is causing the fault.... B)

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

I have spent 2 years with the problem.

The pump going on after releasing the pedal should mean that the reservoir is defect ( You can find it at Jaguar or GM ) See cross ref list LEF !!!

I had min exchanged but I still have ABS problems. Now I am waiting to receve my switch from the states, I guess in February I will be able to tell ( My TT is blinking after the system gets hot / warm).

ONE BIG THING : If you know anyone with a reader, let him read your error-codes, without switching off the engine. That reading should be fairly accurate as to what is causing the fault.... B)

I take onboard everything that you have said but unfortrunately the reader will flag up the accumulator(the reader doesn"t sem to be very specific) as a matter of course,the braking system on these cars is really just a basic hydraulic system ,the pressure switch commands the pump to run up to a given presure then commands the pump to stop,i would definately chnage the switch before the accumulator (maybe you can borrow one from somebody just to troubleshoot the system out?) If your accumulator was bad or leaking it would dump its contents (nitrogen) into your system and you would probaly find the pump would almost be running continuosly.Hope this was of some help.

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

Thankyou for the replies so far,

Further update...............Drove the car to work today - 18miles, light on all the way. 5 hours later drove the car home via someone who may have had a reader - they didn't - light still on! After talking to them for 5 mins, started the car, light still on, but went out as soon as I moved off. It seems time dependant! after a drive and a short stop it goes out, but if it is a number of hours say half a day it stays on. It seems also that it only goes out after a stop and a start...........odd :D

Phil

98GT3

Edited by 98GT3

Further update...............Drove the car to work today - 18miles, light on all the way. 5 hours later drove the car home via someone who may have had a reader - they didn't - light still on! After talking to them for 5 mins, started the car, light still on, but went out as soon as I moved off. It seems time dependant! after a drive and a short stop it goes out, but if it is a number of hours say half a day it stays on. It seems also that it only goes out after a stop and a start...........odd :D

Phil

98GT3

Ok next thing check your wheel speed sensors(connections on sensors) ,pretty easy to get to and can sometimes be fixed with a squirt of WD40 ! Good luck .

Cheers

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

Phil

98GT3

Sounds like a simple wheel sensor fault - Check the fronts first .

I had to change both my fronts last year ; easy to do and only approx