Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
wheel removal - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

wheel removal

Wow,

I go away for a few days and when I come back there are a dozen more ideas to try. I am suffering the inevitable post-Indian trip Delhi belly at the moment and the car is just too far from the toilet for me to risk any further attempts until the tectonic plates stop shifting in my guts. Hopefully should be fit for action again by the weekend.

I like the simplicity of the boiling water and wedged jack ideas so will give that a go first.

Thanks chaps!

Malc Holmes

www.espritism.com

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news!

Almost embarrased to report, but a got back in the garage last night for the first time and it seesm that time and repeated soakings with WD40 had worked some magic. Within a minute or so of rocking the wheel it started to budge and came off about 3 minutes later!

The hub and inside of the wheel mating surface had obviously sufferd some bimetalic corrosion, but the oil eventually pentrated this and softened it up enough to release the wheel. The mating surface of the hub (near the bolt holes) was perfect though.

The seized caliper came off no problem and has now been replaced. Woking brakes at last! Disks look practically new. They where fitted a couple of years back according to the cars records but since its been tucked away in a garage all that time they have seen almost no action. General condition of suspension, bushes etc is very good. The car has obviously been stored in the dry and cared for for most of its life.

Also sorted a failed headlamp lift motor (had been full of water and needed a used replacement pulling from stores) and sorted out some poor wiring to the horn and washer pump.

Yesterday was one of those rare days when you come out of the garage with a huge smile because everything has gone well. Looks like the car should be ready for the road in the early spring after all!

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Malc Holmes