Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Gutting an S2 - Resto Prep - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Gutting an S2 - Resto Prep

Hi All, 

Well the time has come where I have some time at night and over the next weekend to start gutting my S2.  If you recall, My S2 sat outside for nearly 20 years.  The interior is SHOT, corrosion on nearly everything metal, fabric torn and sun dried, mold and moss everywhere...

With that said, aside from the detailed body removal instructions provided by Bill Galbraith......I have a couple questions:

1. Do I need to remove the dash for a body lift?
2. If so, should I just cut all wires?....assuming the whole car needs rewiring anyway...
3. What are the common wrench sizes I will need?
4. Any special tools or tools to have two of?

Thanks!!!
Shenton

1. Do I need to remove the dash for a body lift?

You don't need to remove the dash to lift the body off.

2. If so, should I just cut all wires?....assuming the whole car needs rewiring anyway...

I would repair the existing loom rather than replace it.

3. What are the common wrench sizes I will need?

Mainly metric.

4. Any special tools or tools to have two of?

No special tools that I can think of if you're just gutting the car.

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

1. I lifted the body without removing dash. 

2. I also don't know what the hell to do with the wiring. I'm thinking of getting a new loom so might just rip it all out.

3. Mostly metric.

4. Mainly a drill and angle grinder! Many bolts will be too far gone with rust.

I pinned my entire wiring loom onto some wood and traced round the loom tape before removing it. I then replaced every single spade connector and bullet connector. Some of the wires had melted to I replaced those and I also added relays for the windows, lights and fans including adding uprated live feeds to take the load off the switches. I also added an extra fuse box with separate live feeds from the alternator to power the above. I added a hidden power socket for a sat nav under the dash and a few other bits and bobs. So the loom is still pretty much original, it's just better!

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire