Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The strange case of the missing Chargecooler impeller - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The strange case of the missing Chargecooler impeller

Now this is a classic locked room mystery.  For a little while I had noticed some weeping from the chargecooler pump, which I assumed to be one of the hoses breaking down.  I took out the retaining bolt and started to pull out the pump, but surprisingly the drive shaft stayed in the engine as I pulled back the pump, Mmm me thinks this don't look good.  When I finally got the pump out and took it apart I was most surprised to see the Poly impeller I fitted a few years ago was gone!!! not broken down as, apart from the brass bush it had completely vanished, see picture below.

I can only assume it has dissolved, but what would make this happen?  Also can anyone tel me how the shaft is supposed to be secured into the pump body, or should it be able to slide out?

IMG_3552.jpg

IMG_3554.jpg

Maybe you were drinking the night before and actually didn't install it...

Probably still sitting in the packet in the garage......

:-)

I got fed up with mine and did a Brexit.  Got it "out' and went electric.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Also can anyone tel me how the shaft is supposed to be secured into the pump body, or should it be able to slide out?

Isn't that the shaft body in the picture? I see a roll pin which might keep all the pieces of the shaft together.

I resisted the change to electric for many years, but then my pump vanes seemed to be breaking down every 6 months. I've never looked back (after changing to electric). Pursuing originality will drive you nuts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ajheath said:

Yes, Im using Blue now, i wondered if this might be the cause.

I remember an issue that the pink liquid would eat/dissolve the yellow impellor.

(See Bibs answer)

Esprit Freak

Pity I didnt read that in 2009, when i fitted the PU impeller, still you live and learn.  Like Dylan in the 60's im going electric, hopefully without the same public outcry.

Strange phenomenon.

I've got a brand new yellow impeller that I bought  in Germany. So, I'd behappy to put it in a jar of Castrol pink coolant, and wait to see if something happens, and report back.

I use an Electric chargecooler pump, so I never got to install the kitchenware impeller ;)

Question: why do you use blue coolant? And what brand?

I religiously stay away from using the blue coolant, as it's harder on gaskets, aluminium engine like cylinderheads etc.

I've been demonstrated this on opened up engines more than once.

I use pink-ish) Castrol Radicool SF.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)