Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora 400 - Creaking drivers seat - how many waiting for fix ?? - Page 8 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora 400 - Creaking drivers seat - how many waiting for fix ??

• Gold FFM

I wonder if it was the same problem I had with my car - the fan was playing up. It hadn't failed completely but Lotus replaced it all anyway, it seems they had an issue with a number of cars.

Working on the AC system on these is not easy - the whole front clam has to come off apparently.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

For me it seems the motherboard (where you've the three clima controller) that fail and have to be substituted. 

Basically, the fan speed increase and decrease in autonomy. I've to call an exorcist ?

• Gold FFM

How interesting. My regulator was the issue I believe, they call it the "hedgehog":

s-l225.jpg

They replaced my whole AC system, then when the car was put back together the fan was apparently making a horrible noise, so they had to replace that which basically meant starting again. To give the guys credit, they worked all through the weekend to get my car sorted but in total it took eight days to fix.

James Martin (JayEmm)

11 hours ago, Alfo86 said:

like a famous Italian saying, "they drown in an inch of water."

Was that saying created after they realised that that was all the water usually needed to kill an Italian cars electrics?  :devil:

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

Basically, on a couple of occasions you would turn the fan on and it would basically cough rather than blow - you'd get the tiniest bit of air.

It seems you could make it do this deliberately by turning the fan on quickly. I believe a few other people had issues, not sure it was the same problem, but some people's AC units turned themselves on and wouldn't go off until you pulled the fuse!

@C8RKH don't forget the world-famous Italian "water-less rust", as used on FIAT, Alfa Romeo and Lancia products throughout the 70s. Possibly an improvement on a British Leyland design, the "Pre-salted Body Panel"

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

OMG. It seems the same things I had last week.??? But when I turned off and shaked a little bit the potentiometer that manage the air flow speed and turn on again, they come back to ^work^.

Basically it seems that till the 10%of the fan speed it work normally,with or without ac on, cool and hot. When you turn more the fan speed after some times the fan speed drop down and start to go up and down or cough... I hope that changing the motherboard could solve... if it wasn't the solution, probably I had your problem?????? I hope no

• Gold FFM

I would think given the fact it's a known issue they may replace several parts at the same time, just to minimize the risk of something else going wrong later.

James Martin (JayEmm)

In some point of you, lucky you that they changed everything at the same time respect to me that they continue to change one thing per time. Probably also this depend about the dealer importance in their of car sales and the relationship between dealer and lotus that determine the service. That's another thing that customers shouldn't know.?

Hi guys,

after driving my 400 for 2 weeks now, I definitely realized that I have the same problem with the creaking seat ;-(((

It´s really annoying, when driving the car a bit faster, of course my 90kg weight is doing the rest...

nevertheless, I won´t accept this in a 100K+ (EUR) car and will request an adequate exchange here as well

what I don´t understand so far is - even after going through the whole chain here: what exactly is offered/done in this respect, i.e. to solve the problem?

what part of the seat (if not completely) will be exchanged?

sorry for bothering, but as my next Lotus service points are either 250 or 400km away from me, I would like to arrange and clarify this first!

thx, hymo

Establish where the noise is coming from first.  Mine was easy to establish.  Out of the car, if I applied any lateral pressure  to upright part of seat I could hear the creaking coming from the base of the seat, or to be more specific near the seat runners.

Framework under the seat was replaced under warranty, which I believe now has extra bracing, and not a creak since (circa 600 miles). 

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

I was wondering what the current position is on this (ie how many are actually being fixed), so summary from what I can get on here. Would be interesting if we could keep this updated:

DJW - Fixed

Cocopops - awaiting seat frames

mcx - awaiting seat frames

Colin P - 1 failed fix awaiting seat frames (so that's 3 for Hofmanns)

Jayemm - he's special! (multitude of fixes, but still creaking)

waofner - ? 

Andrew C - ?

booboo93 - ?

Colin G - Fixed 

Neal H - awaiting frames

alfo86 - awaiing frames

fesuvious - ?

blindside - ?

Ian Pops - ?

Big Ed - ?

Peegee355 - ?

Evora 54 - ?

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

DJW - Fixed

Cocopops - awaiting seat frames

mcx - awaiting seat frames

Colin P - 1 failed fix awaiting seat frames (so that's 3 for Hofmanns)

Jayemm - he's special! (multitude of fixes, but still creaking)

waofner - ? 

Andrew C - ?

booboo93 - ?

Colin G - Fixed 

Neal H - new runners being fitted 23rd Nov

alfo86 - awaiting frames

fesuvious - ?

blindside - ?

Ian Pops - ?

Big Ed - ?

Peegee355 - Investigation at first service

Evora 54 - ?

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 11:53, JayEmm said:

How interesting. My regulator was the issue I believe, they call it the "hedgehog":

s-l225.jpg

They replaced my whole AC system, then when the car was put back together the fan was apparently making a horrible noise, so they had to replace that which basically meant starting again. To give the guys credit, they worked all through the weekend to get my car sorted but in total it took eight days to fix.

Also my fan start to make a whistle when turned in hot... OMG... additional bullshit to fix ? 

• Gold FFM

@Colin P I plan to hold-off on the seat frame replacement until the car is in at the next service. (The irritation factor has reduced and I can live with the noise until then).

On 28/10/2016 at 11:53, JayEmm said:

s-l225.jpg

@JayEmm I confirm that I have the same problem. The motherboard haven't solved my crazy clima. The dealer ordered the hedgehog and the replace my on Monday, hoping that they will solve definitively the issue. Additionally, my car with the clima on hot, make a whistle noise... it seems a problem of flux of air that hit the plastic palettes and create a turbolence noise at certain position (it happen only in hot when a air flow quite high) and I discovered it because I needed to demist window.

someone have the same f****g issue? Probably they have to dismount the console to solve it ?

My car spent 3 weeks at Hofmanns (I was away so it could stay with them), despite their best efforts still no replacement seat parts so no seat fix yet... has been 6 months since the problem first arose. Also the fan and heater controls were replaced but the fan is still doing its puffing thing. The car otherwise is great and I'm trying to be patient but am beginning to get slighty hacked off.. 

• Gold FFM

@mcx the "puffing" is almost certainly the resistor (aka hedgehog) and not the controls themselves.

As for seats, good luck - I've been waiting over four months now, with no sign of fix in sight.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

Passenger seat sorted today and good to meet @Neal H there too :)

Silverstone have been doing a fair few recently speaking  to the guys.   Had a look at the frame to see if seat could be lowered but looks like it's as low as it can go, in terms of bottom of seat being near the floor :( There is adjustment to raise height at rear or front, so might look to raise front slightly to aid support of legs on longer trips 

Top service there as ever.  

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501