Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
anti-roll-bar bushes - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

anti-roll-bar bushes

As above per Chris on mine (which is the trunnions set up)

I also used a ratchet strap to keep  tension on the roll bar whilst trying to remove/replace it.

It may have changed by now but Steve SJ’s opinion was definitely to go for purple poly on the arb.

The ARB is quite difficult to get off/on with the suspension on full droop. The best way is to set the car down with jacks or blocks under each hub, after jacking up and removing wheels, so the suspension is closer to normal ride height.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Andyww said:

The ARB is quite difficult to get off/on with the suspension on full droop. The best way is to set the car down with jacks or blocks under each hub, after jacking up and removing wheels, so the suspension is closer to normal ride height.

Thats the best way to do it - it just lifts away. Also the nuts at the end of the bar are now square to the lower arm and easier to remove/replace.    I agree and use Poly for all the roll bar bushes

My take on arb bushes and others. Go poly from Lotus, as they are made specifically for them, to be softer than say anything from most other Companies. The two lower middle ones can be swapped out for SJ's purple one, so they fit the SE's thicker front arb.

I wouldn't use rubber bushing in this application as they are remade to a different standard and go bad after not long time - driving or not driving.

I also bought the complete set of Lotus bushings for the Esprit Turbo SE in general, and right now, the 8 smaller ones for the rear track arms are installed. The rest will follow this Winter.

In my humble opinion, the complete set removes old sloppiness and make s for a more precise and predictable car.

I ordered PNM's new poly bushings for the gearbox (2 pcs) but haven't received them yet, so cannot comment on how they are, but supposedly a little biit firmer than standard rubber items, but not track like hard (like Black ones from other Companies).

In general, I've been using other brands of stret poly bushings on my former Golf2 and my present day Corrado G60 for over 21 years, and I never, I repeat never, had any problems what so ever. No torn bushings, no extra stiff ride (but firm), no broken pieces anywhere because of too hard bushings etc. No problem.

But on the contrary, I've had plenty of great drives on all 3 cars, Sharp steering, less move under hard load, hard braking etc. So for me, it's a total no-brainer. Go poly, but use the propper ones. An dI smear them with the accompanying grease, and they don't squeak..

Oh, and I've never used split poly bushings (to ease install). Never. Not in my book.

Kind regards,

Jacques

ps: I am gratefull that Lotus after so many years, researches and makes upgrade and better parts for the Esprit. Speaks volumes about Lotus.

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

13 hours ago, krytensmeghead said:

The purple ones are rock hard.

This is the new one installed.1865795642_PurpleBush.jpg.b282b0c2670f9947f9881e0f2483dcea.jpg

That looks like it’s in there tight, I thought it was only just done up. Mine are in now I’m just wondering if I need to go tighter.

Edited by tonytransam

The service notes specify some stupidly low torque figure for these nuts, only just enough to overcome the locking of the nylok nut. If that is used, they come loose.

There are two options I suppose, either tighten them fully up to the shoulder hard, or use threadlock and tighten them until the compression of the bushes seems about right. 

I do the former but have to say when using the purple bushes they are really solidly squashed in there. Probably too hard. Dont really like the idea of relying on threadlock though on this safety item when they are constantly have rotational force.

I agree with Andy above. On my brothers one they actually came loose whilst running (you can feel it start to move back and forwards under braking). On my S3 with trunions I use purple poly with nyloc nut just nipped up against the bust and thread lock and they have been good for 1500 miles.

• Like 1

When I took the original rubber ones out. ( actually there wasn't much left of them ), the nyloc was tightened onto a tube which was basically being used as a squash tube to dictate the correct length between the flange and the nut.

Maybe the tube needs to be a bit longer for the purple ones.

From memory I think the bush kit came with new tubes but the same length as the old ones.

As I wrote in the above, I only use purple ones from SJ to hold the front arb on the two middle posistions (the "u"-shaped brackets).

Other than that, I use Lotus poly bushings. No problems what so ever.

Kind regards,

jacques

Jaques,

I have never seen the Lotus poly bushes but interested to know:

Are all of the Lotus poly bushes the same type and harness as the original rubber?

Are the wishbone bushes and lower link bush "bonded" ie the same design as the rubber Metalastik ones but using poly instead of rubber?

Glen your suspicions are correct. Your S3 is the earlier type, whereas there as a Model Year 1985 (MY85) type that uses a very different setup.

Early ones have the ARB secured to the lower link, MY85 ones have the ARB slide through a bushes and are not secured to it (I describe those later bushes as like two ring donuts stuck together).

• Like 1

Yep, it's different. I just wanted to point out my own experiences with various polyurethane bushes and rubber ditto, in relation to their use on the Lotus Esprit, with which I have had no bad experiences so far, in more than 21 years.

I may be of a different view here tahn some, but it seems to me as Lotus for many years strived to obtain the best possible road holding in combination with a high level of comfort. Personally, I prefer road holding over comfort, so I strive to improve the road holding a bit more, willingly loosing a bit of comfort. Actually I really dislike driving a comfortable car, being too soft. In this light too, the poly bushing is no sacrifice at all, but instead an improvement in roadholding. The Esprit is still a comfortable car to drive. Next up for me, is stiffening the chassis to allow for some stiffer springs. Again, not a revolution, but more of an evolution. This, in my huble view, has so far brought an even higher level of sharp steering and precision = more joy driving spirited on curvy hilly back roads.

Kind regards,

jacques

15 hours ago, Jacques said:

Yep, it's different. I just wanted to point out my own experiences with various polyurethane bushes and rubber ditto, in relation to their use on the Lotus Esprit, with which I have had no bad experiences so far, in more than 21 years.

I may be of a different view here tahn some, but it seems to me as Lotus for many years strived to obtain the best possible road holding in combination with a high level of comfort. Personally, I prefer road holding over comfort, so I strive to improve the road holding a bit more, willingly loosing a bit of comfort. Actually I really dislike driving a comfortable car, being too soft. In this light too, the poly bushing is no sacrifice at all, but instead an improvement in roadholding. The Esprit is still a comfortable car to drive. Next up for me, is stiffening the chassis to allow for some stiffer springs. Again, not a revolution, but more of an evolution. This, in my huble view, has so far brought an even higher level of sharp steering and precision = more joy driving spirited on curvy hilly back roads.

Kind regards,

jacques

I have to say I am with you Jacques.

Right, so I think most of us know the feeling of a well working new car, being firm, no slop anywhere, and good steering and no floppyness in the suspension and track arms when braking. Contrary to an old car, and where most old cars are just worn, with not enough propper service. Too long braking distances, sloppy steering, rattling from the suspension department, Worn out soft suspension bushings and strut tower bushings, dead soft brake hoses, under par brake components, sloppy adjustable suspension that were made for other brands/models and adaptated to an Esprit but being too fishy in their dampening and rebound, crappy under par old tires etc. Not much performance, safety and joy in that.

Changing it all and a propper alignment, new tires, Wheels trued and being radial, steering rack renewed or refurbished, new suspension springs and dampers (maybe even a better ones - oh yes, they exist) etc, bring back a sharp good driving experience again. I am all for that. And eliminating a too soft car in the process (I get pain in my body driving something soft). Not to mention new head lights, firm seat cushing, new Wind tight door seals etc. Only then we can in my view see how a specific car reacts and really drives. If I can even improve on that, I do.

Kind regards,

Jacques

• 1 month later...

Maybe i can add a little to this discussion along with a few frustrations i am experiencing. 

I installed the purple polybushes to the lower links recently (off the car) and they looked fine...for about an hour until they decided to split apart. As others have done, I did tighten the washer up to the distance tube as surely thats what its for and stops the nyloc nut working loose.

Scouring the web i discovered the official Lotus approved black ones which arrived today...and these in comparison to the purple ones are even harder!!

The length of the distance tube equals the thickness of both bushes but the lower link adds approx 7mm and that is a lot to squish up if tightening up to the tube. 
It feels to me like the harder polybushes need a longer tube...but im no expert in this field, so still thinking about my next move.

Bring back rubber!

0ED16BEB-450A-47FB-98CD-4425DD9429C2.jpeg

27363FA8-BFE1-4E3D-ABCD-1FAFAB80BB97.jpeg

81A12551-3562-4E02-AE97-88C680453EAB.jpeg

• Like 1

The only solution I can think of is to make some longer tubes for the nut to tighten against.

I'll probably do that next time I take the entire radiator housing assembly out.

This was required last time as one of the bolts holding the U bracket is about 10mm away from the fan motor.

• Thanks 1

I seem to remember SJ changed the length of the purple bushes as the first ones I got were far too long. The second ones I got were fine and I have used them for 2000 miles.

cheers

C43

• Thanks 1

On 17/11/2019 at 16:57, C43 said:

I seem to remember SJ changed the length of the purple bushes as the first ones I got were far too long. The second ones I got were fine and I have used them for 2000 miles.

cheers

C43

How long ago was this? 
I bought my purple bushes 2+ yrs ago and have only just got round to fitting them.

The purple bushes I have are dimensionally the same as the official Lotus black bushes.

Just an update.

Having sourced and fitted the official black Lotus polybushes, (the purple ones split)  i decided to make up some longer distance tubes.

The bushes squeeze up well but no longer deform to the point of being over stressed...and the nyloc nut still has something to tighten up to.

Much better than before...but still a lot stiffer than the original rubber setup.

D04B8F19-8FDE-4D19-97DA-B6365782692F.jpeg

• Like 2