Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
It's Sunday - time for confession Father - Page 15 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

It's Sunday - time for confession Father

• Gold FFM

IMG_1218.thumb.PNG.d442665441c105c585dbed7f4b48df97.PNG

ok - so I have procured a new hub - and all the associated nuts, bolts, washers, bearings, gold dust and various diamond shavings to stick the car back together. All of which as long as the postman isn't distracted by some old slapper down the road will be here tomorrow.

i have a specific question that's bugging me - the split spacer bush which on the old one is seized solid - does this simply slide in nicely on a new one or does it need pressing in with some finesse. This is not described in the manual.

@Sparky @sailorbob @ian29gte either of you guys know??

Only here once

• Gold FFM

It'll be a bit tight, but will slip under pressure as the nuts are tightened.  Get it as close as you can to start with.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I removed the split spacer bush on my hub with my patented removal tool. I used wd40 and this tool. I replaced the bush with a new one from S and J. Cleaned up,the inside of the carrier and applied  anti seize copper grease. With the new bush it slides in no problem with the tool! Didn't want to hammer anything on the casting as it's very brittle, but I might just have been lucky. If the bush had not release I was going to collapse it by cutting slits into the inner edge.IMG_1710.thumb.PNG.9841c5bec3393d78aaffedc319999726.PNG

• Gold FFM

I was planning on that bolt and nut type approach @Lotusfab if I found them to be tight. Just a bit aware of the cost of that hub. 

I think I might need another bucket of copper slip and a new mop

Only here once

That one in the picture was pretty tight but it still came out with no hub damage. The surface was pitted which was why it was stuck. Had to replace it and the pins with new ones from S and J. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

It'll be getting the kid glove treatment. Will pretend it's a  finest crystal cut chandelier :thumbsup: 

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Unbelievable - but the bill from sj was probably 1/30th of the price of the last crystal chandelier fitted.......

Only here once

• Gold FFM

There's the mistake ? You actually put them up and take them down in pieces. 

A very tedious but satisfying jigsaw puzzle

Only here once

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, sailorbob said:

Just checking, when you installed the bottom arm did you load the car up with a fake passenger(s) and have half a fuel load before tightening the nuts?

64ED2FA8-6D7B-418E-A6E6-C06AE4D068E8-1139-000001628C24ADFA.thumb.jpeg.215e8c30eda8cf8457539ca66850010d.jpeg

im on it - running out of puff though

• Like 2

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Well that's it - back from the garage. This afternoon has been good.

rear busted hub fully replaced. Nice new bearing - all new nuts and bolts.

new battery in.

gearbox oil replaced with syntrans.

The nut on the bottom of the translator selector was not tight - there was movement visible in the assembly when selecting gear - ive tightened that up - will be interesting if that aids the second gear issue I've had.

leaking roll pins on driveshafts cleaned and filled with silicon.

car started - no warning lights - that's enough for tonight.

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

And I can also confirm - tightening up the nut on the bottom f the translator sooner thingymejig has solved the 2nd gear crunch issue.

i am indeed back in love. Even the missus came to the shops in the Esprit tonight..... she likes it more than the last ones....

Only here once

• Gold FFM

What could possibly go wrong?

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Waiting for Barry at MBW on Sunday:

Image result for raf waiting for return movie

• Like 2