Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
It's Sunday - time for confession Father - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

It's Sunday - time for confession Father

Well that's interesting...the S4 was introduced in '93. Perhaps it has S4s bits in it (300bhp engine/modified ECU? Bigger tyres?) as the S4s was introduced in '95 - could well have been a preview for that at the October '94 Motor Show I suppose. That would make it pretty unique!

From LEW:

Release in 1995, the Esprit S4s fits between the 264bhp S4 and the Sport 300. The S4s is designed to drive like a 300 and ride like an S4. No increase from the standard cars 2.2 litres has been necessary to find the S4s's extra power; indeed neither was it the case with the Sport 300. Improved gas flow dynamics and enlarged inlet ports and valves are the main cylinder head modifications. A hybrid Garrett AiResearch T3/60 turbocharger and altered management programme endow the engine with even more torque over a wider spread. Of the 290lb ft maximum, 80% is ready to be unleashed by your right foot anywhere between 2500 and 6500rpm.

The S4s takes the 300's rear wing and wheel arch extentions and gains OZ split rim racing alloy with 245 and 285 section Michelin tyres. Big ventilated discs and calipers are now by Brembo and provide all the stopping power you need to haul in 300bhp.

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• Gold FFM

Hmmm - we shall see what he comes back with - it goes like stink that's all I know. Does seem significantly more punchy that my red one

rear tyres are 245/45/17

Only here once

9 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

It's the 1995 motorshow it was at. Some pictures must exist somewhere

Don't think so Barry, that previous owner said:

" a 1994 registered car but actually the Birmingham motor show car with 1995 specification"

So October '94 show I would think?

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

The dash and door cards are exactly the same as the s4s page ..... it's very grunty indeed.... i wonder

2 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

PS there's a pic of yours on LEW as well. Wonky front number plate blanked out :P

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EModels/S4.html

That's not it - missing the cabletie round the window wiper !!

Only here once

5 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

The dash and door cards are exactly the same as the s4s page ..... it's very grunty indeed.... i wonder

Or mebbe just the upgrades made for the '95 S4 model - which would explain the '95 S4s similarities, as your previous owner notes:

a 1994 registered car but actually the Birmingham motor show car with 1995 specification (wood dash, new dials)

Any other '95/'96 S4 owners know? We'll have to wait for Mr Graham I guess :)

2 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

I've had a a trawl around for pics or info of PRA at the '94 Birmingham Motor Show Barry, but can't find anything. It did turn this up however, so don't think that you can get away with outrunning the coppers anytime soon...

lotus-police-car-in-1994-538728976.jpg

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/west-midlands-police-get-168mph-lotus-146540

That's gotta be one for @Kimbers

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

The S4s has 235 F and 285 R tyres, Barry. Same as the V8.

If you think you the engine is an S4s, have a look at the cylinder head. It may have the S300 designation stamped into it just above the coolant hose connection at the back end of the cylinder head, as they're the same as the S300. See page 4 of my refurb thread for a piccy.

Apart from that, the S4s will show 1 bar on full boost. Not that you've had it anywhere near full boost, eh?

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

No of course I haven't !! Boost gauge does flip upto 1 bar but then comes down to just below I think - I will go and give it a spanking in a minute - eldest to swimming again !!

Ers probably just a normal S4 - but first off facelift one maybe - who knows

• Like 1

Only here once

The manual says the S4 boosts at 0.84 bar - about 12 psi, the S4s boosts at 1 bar - about 14.7. The gauges aren't necessarily the most accurate, but if the needle sits between the 3/4 mark and 1, then I guess that's S4 boost level.

I drove an S4 prior to buying my car and it went very well indeed. I don't have much experience with them, but I do wonder if the S4 is the best of the bunch. I would probably have bought that car had it not been for the colour combination of silver/blue. Arguably I should have just lived with that and bought it anyway, but there you go, we're all clever after the event, eh?

That list looks to be a walk in the park compared to the V8.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

16 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Righto back home and tucked up

IMG_0916.JPG

so - @ian29gte - boost - nailing it the needle sits at a needles width below the 1 bar line - doesn't move and sits there until I bottle out and remove the right foot. What does that logically equate to ? Is that S4 boost?

This is relatively normal, provided it's happening when the car is up to temperature (boost should be limited below I think 70 degrees C), my Turbo SE is the same though - needle will flick past 1 and then settle att 0,85 or so depending on driving condition.

abs light - comes on and off with random unreliability - I can certainly lock the brakes up.

Welcome to the joys of the Delco Morraine 3 system. It could be the pressure switch, or accumulator, or something else.

cel light - that flashes on and stays on but only when you've done some spirited revs and drop off the throttle. It then comes on until you gun it again and it goes off - need to hook up the pc for that. 

Vac leak - sure there's one somewhere - im convinced - vac pump ran for a long time when I first picked her up. Haven't looked or listened since as I'm sure that would not have fixed itself

How's startin from cold? Does it dump revs and stall?

Heater - it's utterly shit - utterly. The screen flap isn't opening and the window mists up lots - you can feel the warmth from a knats fart coming from the vent. Maybe when I start looking that vac leak will be found and this will sort this. Twisting the vent knob does nothing - you can't hear anything moving.

Esprit heaters are pretty efficient. Except the fact that the passenger can only get cold air. Sucks for them. 

slighty high revs now and again - I need to check both the tps and the aic valve. I shall probably just order new ones as I cannot see either in the very fat history and receipt file. 

When are the revs high? At startup? If at startup that's quite normal as the ECU adjusts for that. I'm guessing it's had the back pressure valve and throttle jacking capsule torn out already?

Handbrake adjustment - pulls up far - and the light flickers

You might have to adjust the microswitch. I've hardly seen any Esprits where this works as intended. 

rear tyres - advised on last mot getting near. Some new boots needed.

Kumho Ecsta. That is all. 

Am I happy with PRA ??? You bloody well bet I am....:animier:

S4 is the bees knees. I love them. They are however, bloody rare, especially in decent condition. 

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Gold FFM

I've had a look at the heater. Found the busted elbow behind the pump in the engine bay. Replaced and now the pump stops running. I have vacuum at the t under the dash - but the vents upto the screen don't bloody work ?? Any suggestions?

it starts from cold and doesn't stall. I need to hook up the pc. 

I have now taken the battery off and ripped out the ecu. I'm convinced this cars not  standard. I take off the panel and find thisIMG_1006.PNG

ecu sealed in place - snip - not anymore. Lovely nice sticky seals over the ecu memcal slot - cut - look what's inside

IMG_1007.PNG

Hmmm strange old world

@Vanya I haven't even looked at tyres yet - but if kumho do them - they will be ordered later

• Like 2

Only here once

haha nice. I drove an SE with the S4s high torque chip last summer and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very refined and an improvement on the stock code in every single way.

find out exactly what it is though...

btw how are you enjoying being back in 4 pot turbolag land?

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Gold FFM

Loving every minute of it - I feel back at home.

the lag really isn't that much though - that's what makes me wish to have a looksee. The chat I had with Andy also raised my curiosity. 

Think I need a couple of sensors looking at - but need the pc sorted.

Only here once