Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
It's Sunday - time for confession Father - Page 5 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

It's Sunday - time for confession Father

• Gold FFM
30 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

I reckon that's an S4 engine and turbo, with a standard 1496 S4s EPROM, but not a PUK chip, otherwise you would be seeing more boost on the gauge. Unless the gauge is borked, of course. Despite the seals, it still looks to me like someone has been into that ECU, though.

Well my grubby mitts have been now - but to be fair - them anti tamper lotus seals just don't come off without destroying them. 

The tps is knackered - it was reading 0.00v - hence the cel light being thrown. I've adjusted it to 0.53v. But it never registered 100% when stamping on the throttle. The most I could get it to register was 83%. 

Ive just ordered a new TPS from sjs. A new iac valve from rock auto. Stainless steel screws for both from eBay. Both of these items have one solid stuck rusted and rounded off screw fixing - doh....

Only here once

• Gold FFM
40 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

I reckon that's an S4 engine and turbo, with a standard 1496 S4s EPROM, but not a PUK chip, otherwise you would be seeing more boost on the gauge. Unless the gauge is borked, of course. Despite the seals, it still looks to me like someone has been into that ECU, though.

What's the "T" stamp on the block mean ? Is that present on others ??

Only here once

I too think this is a face lift, late model S4 which were fitted with some S4s maybe early V8 goodies!

Maybe @Guy Munday may be able to let us know as to what upgrades there were on these later S4 models.:)

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Well let's not worry too much about what it might be.

ive fixed the vent blower for the screen :animier:

now that is a job I never ever want to do again. What an absolute bastard. I thought one of the air switches was bust at first, then round the wrong way....but oh no it wasn't that....... the previous owner told me it never worked very well. It was because the little screw clamp that held it in place - was holding it in place about 3-4mm too high - so the cam thingy wasn't fully engaging it. Probably been like it from new by the looks :wallbash:

so it's all back together again and I can start to work my way through the other niggles. At least I can drive it now without the mist being inside the car

10 minutes ago, punky said:

I too think this is a face lift, late model S4 which were fitted with some S4s maybe early V8 goodies!

Maybe @Guy Munday may be able to let us know as to what upgrades there were on these later S4 models.:)

Defo only 4 cylinders - I've looked :rofl:

• Like 1

Only here once

10 hours ago, punky said:

I can't really speak for the engine mods as this topic is way over my head! As far as the car itself is concerned, it looks like a 1995 model year S4 that was first shown at the NEC in October 1994, along with the S4S. The 1995 MY included the wooden dashboard panels with Caerbont instruments replacing the older VDO items that were found in earlier S4's and the aforementioned brake changes that came in a bit earlier.

With regards to the engine mods, it was often the case that a show car would be put onto the press fleet once its show duties were complete. It would have gone through special preparation via the press workshop to ensure tip-top condition for the show so it would make sense to then offer it to the press. That said, The registration number doesn't look familiar, or local to the factory, so that probably isn't the case.

A great car to have!

• Gold FFM

Thanks Guy

regarding the registration number - it's marked on the v5 as a non transferable number plate - but that could be as it had m10mbh on it at some point.

i think it was registered on 12/12/94. The vin also shows it as Usa spec ?? 

Only here once

I've had some experience in the DVLA minefield in the past, and I think your number can only ever be applied to that specific car.

But I also think it's possible to put a personalised plate on it, and if you then decide to transfer that personal plate elsewhere, then the original non-transferable one will be supplied back to your Esprit.

If I remember rightly, it's something to do with people applying for age-related, or attractive plates over and over again. By way of an example - an Élan with say 'BAZ 100' on it get's the plate transferred to another car. The Élan owner then gets an age-related plate, 'RGT 400'. Five minutes later, he sells that one to someone else for a profit, and so on. DVLA finally got wise to the business some time ago, and of course they now make money from it.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

So old tps smashed off - seized bolts gone - new one now fitted. Old one looked very horrible indeed - but did work !!! Shame I had to smash its fixing hole at the bottom to get it off.

still only goes to 85% - so must be something else !! Head under the steering wheel - adjust the bolt on the throttle pedal - hey presto 100% it is :animier:

oh well - I reckon that was £75 that didn't need spending now 

• Like 2

Only here once

Pleased its sorted Barry, funny how the easy mechanical things can still overide the electric stuff,  would of tested the tps at the actual throttle body myself thought rather than the foot pedal :sofa:

A

• Gold FFM

Yeah - at the throttle body - 100% no problem. But when you stamp on the right hand pedal that doesn't necessarily translate if the adjustment in cable is wrong !!!

Wish I'd have done that before buying a new one and fetching the hammer

• Like 2

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Been for a drive this afternoon - cel light issue fixed. 

Im certain the iac valve thing needs changing - but it could be just the learning process - it goes very very well indeed. I'm awaiting a new one from rock auto and as these seem to be problematic and the one that's on it is very old it's going to get changed. 

It's very lively and responsive - I am one happy man. The quicksilver exhaust is incredible. But I'm sure it's going to make the ears of the sheep in the fields bleed round here. I'd tag up a video of the exhaust - but a 9 second clip seems to be too big

Only here once