Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
It's Sunday - time for confession Father - Page 7 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

It's Sunday - time for confession Father

• Gold FFM

Ones a rubber donut that's the size of a football - needs squashing into a hole the size of a golf ball. The others a bush that's metal sleeved and presses in. 

Either way I reckon the bottom arm needs to come off to do it. So if it's still knocking when I drive her next - I'll just rip the lot off and rebush it all

• Like 2

Only here once

You'll need to take those bottom arms off to fit the new bushes, Barry. I did mine a little while ago, and I seem to recall machining up some dollies for pressing them in and out. Anti-roll bar bushes are spilt, or at least the new poly ones are.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

New tyres today fronts and rears.

fronts were 6 years old and rears were 9 years old. Feels a bit better.

front ends knocking though - arb bushes to blame - they look like a sausage in a bucket

Only here once

Good one on the new boots,  better gripping tyres may make you slow down quicker for those speeding cameras Barry.   :sofa:

Look forward to some pics of the ARB been done also :thumbup:

A

• Gold FFM

Get back from yet another swimming run -nice run to Wolverhampton and back in the esprit - rockauto parcel on the doorstep :animier:

so I can crack on and fit the nice new iac valve. Also a parcel with my windscreen removal tool kit - so will have a go with that as well late on.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

New iac fitted this morning. Cat delete pipe also fitted. The lambda in the old pipe had the wires cut and joined back together with choc strip which was melting as it was very close to the turbo. 

Idles much better straight away with just the iac fitted - so the fitted the decat after.  The turbo spins up when revd in the garage :rofl:- it's very very loud - not sure even I can cope with it - but I'm gonna have a go.

Iac pintle shape looked ever so slightly different - I'm wondering about these items !!! Tick over is so much smoother with it though - off to take Danny to a swim competition in it this afternoon so we will see how it drives

• Like 1

Only here once

Great on the idle Barry :thumbup:  Regarding the exhaust noise, the only way to find out is good burn up the motorway or express way to see if you can live with excess noise on long distances :)

• Like 1

A

• Gold FFM

Well I can now confirm the iac swap has made a massive difference - and I really mean massive. It's so much smoother on idle - and so much smoother on and off t throttle.

the exhaust - hmm - I think it would wake the dead :rofl:. Sure gonna have a go at living with it for a while. At the very least until I can be bothered to get the gas and spanners on the old lambda sensor as the wires are a bit short and damaged on the old one. They ain't never gonna fix properly in the proximity of the hot bits

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Filled with fuel - last tank 17mpg average......not so good - but I have been enjoying it.

The exhaust is far too loud on the motorway - so that's going to have to change.

Im missing a vacuum pipe on the fuel pressure regulator - so fuel pressure is always flat out. Going to need to find the manual and sort that out. 

Heater thing needs sorting and soon - too bloody cold in the car. I have seen the cable - but haven't found where it goes. I'm reliably informed it's above the pedal box - god I'm really looking forward to that hateful task.

why oh why on these cars is it always one thing after another??? 

On the plus side - I seem to have a load of poly bushes sat in a box which came with her - didn't really look at them before - but think it's a front set - so other than a bit of effort and a set of arb bushes - I need get and address the front end

Only here once

Barry - reference your fuel pressure regulator, the vac pipe you referred to connects to a T-piece at the top of the crankcase breather via a non-return valve, and there's another T-piece to the inlet manifold. You can see it in the photo. The other end of the T-piece on the crankcase breather goes to the air filter housing. When manifold depression is high (at idle, or on overrun), it acts on the fuel pump regulator diaphragm, lowering fuel pressure.

Maybe that's the cause of your high fuel consumption, but if you're always hooning everywhere, you may not see any fall in that!

unspecified.jpg

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Hmm so this afternoon I thought I'd pull off the chargecooler and look what's going on underneath it. Bust the two rubber mounts just by looking at them. Vac pipe underneath folded in half and cabletied up - that's meant to go onto the fuel pressure regulator...... ummm where's the oneway valve as well

took off the old throttlejack and binned that. Plus the 1m of pipe with a bolt in the end of it.

round to the brakes - 3 error codes on the abs unit - more to work on. Will set the brake pedal switch, test that and clean all the other contacts up.

so thought I'd have a look at that heater mechanism - dropped fuse tray into the car - I can just see the green actuator cable - but operating the twisty doober heater knob doesn't move it. Getting a bad feeling the rod/cable is bust. Will take off the heater panel later and try and pull the cable manually to see if it's busted. God knows how I'm going to replace it if it is - but it's either a grenade or cut a hole in the body under the bonnet to access it.

bstard cars a pain in the ass ! 

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Yep your correct - but the valve before the tee - in Ian's picture above is conspicuously missing !!! 

Have just bought an ally one of eBay and a rake of nice red pipe

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I have a green crankcase breather - and a small pipe coming off of that to the tee. Then from the tee to a folded over pipe. I'd stick up a pic - but I can't for some reason.

which way round does the one way valve go? 

theres some shitty bit of copper pipe where the valve is meant to be

Only here once